Light Slugs in a Pellet Barrel?

I thought we were talking about hunting , This is the first time benchrest was mentioned , and distance in Benchrest is a fixed distance according to the rules of the game.
It was mentioned in OPs post #6 " ...good option for long range bench rest shoots...". But yeah. Hunting has it own "rules" also (like in here, where you cannot hunt anything with air rifles)

Reactions: beerthief
For power increase, slug need lot more power per weight compared to pellet. First they usually are more accurate in speed range of 930-970FPS (depends on slug ofcourse and I have had good result 860fps with JSB knockouts aswell in 25 cal). Second, they are contact more with barrel so more friction. In 25 cal you can use same settings with heavy pellet like JSB king heavy (33.95gr) tuned for 900fps as with light slug like FX hybrid (26gr) that will get around 960fps. In 22 cal that could be starting point aswell.

That's the information I was looking for! Or maybe it's a piece of information I didn't know I was looking for. I thought there would be more barrel issues. It seems like twist rate for similar weight projectiles shouldn't be an issue. I wasn't sure how a choked vs unchoked barrel might affect them. Increased drag in the barrel for a slug makes sense. I didn't realize that they also like that much more speed.

That's the information I was looking for! Or maybe it's a piece of information I didn't know I was looking for. I thought there would be more barrel issues. It seems like twist rate for similar weight projectiles shouldn't be an issue. I wasn't sure how a choked vs unchoked barrel might affect them. Increased drag in the barrel for a slug makes sense. I didn't realize that they also like that much more speed.

Glad that I could help. You are right tough that it depends lot of other things aswell like choke, twist rate, etc. Im just generalizing. In end of day, everyone has to just test what works exactly in their barrel.

You mentioned crown and impact. After 2018 FX rifles have come with superior or superior heavy liners. Superior is for pellets and light slugs, heavy for heavy slugs.

Reactions: Yardstick
Glad that I could help. You are right tough that it depends lot of other things aswell like choke, twist rate, etc. Im just generalizing. In end of day, everyone has to just test what works exactly in their barrel.

You mentioned crown and impact. After 2018 FX rifles have come with superior or superior heavy liners. Superior is for pellets and light slugs, heavy for heavy slugs.

Some of the rifles I have were purchased used. The Impact X, a Streamline and a Royale 400. They're all older but I'm not sure exactly how old. The Crown MKII was a recent purchase. I think the Crown or the Impact would be the most tunable for slugs if I want to pursue that. I'm still gathering information and trying things at this point though. Pellets are easy to deal with but I had a good time at the longer range benchrest shoot so I wanted to gather some information and explore my options.

Some of the rifles I have were purchased used. The Impact X, a Streamline and a Royale 400. They're all older but I'm not sure exactly how old. The Crown MKII was a recent purchase. I think the Crown or the Impact would be the most tunable for slugs if I want to pursue that. I'm still gathering information and trying things at this point though. Pellets are easy to deal with but I had a good time at the longer range benchrest shoot so I wanted to gather some information and explore my options.
Crown MKII comes with superior liner as standard so it would be perfect test for pellet and light slugs (I have exactly same liner in my Maverick). Impact might have come with older liner, but you can test how Well it shoots. You will see does it like slugs or not 🙂

Next thing is to find what slugs your liner likes and that is IMO harder than finding good pellet. FX hybrid is good starting point but those are IMO too expensive for regular use. I currently use JSB knockouts that are next best after hybrids. Weight in those start to be max that you can use with superior liner atleast on 25 cal.

Last edited:
Crown MKII comes with superior liner as standard so it would be perfect test for pellet and light slugs (I have exactly same liner in my Maverick). Impact might have come with older liner, but you can test how Well it shoots. You will see does it like slugs or not 🙂

Next thing is to find what slugs your liner likes and that is IMO harder than finding good pellet. FX hybrid is good starting point but those are IMO too expensive for regular use. I currently use JSB knockouts that are next best after hybrids. Weight in those start to be max that you can use with superior liner atleast on 25 cal.

Is there any good guidance on the right size to start with? For .22 there's .216, .217 and .218 at least. There are even some with finer graduations between each size. I recall reading something about someone sizing them on their own too. Or is it all trial and error and you just buy one of each in the weights you're interested in trying?

Is there any good guidance on the right size to start with? For .22 there's .216, .217 and .218 at least. There are even some with finer graduations between each size. I recall reading something about someone sizing them on their own too. Or is it all trial and error and you just buy one of each in the weights you're interested in trying?
It is basically trial and error. So dont buy huge quantitues first 🙂

JSB 33.95 at 915,
Hybrids 26 grain at 980.
Don't change a thing on my rifle and both are accurate.

Just to make sure I got this right — because your numbers are surprising to me:

🅙 JSB 33.95gr at 915fps = 63.1FPE
🅗 Hybrids 26gr at 980fps = 55.4FPE

So, without changing your power setting you're getting a 7.7FPE muzzle energy difference between PELLET 🅙 and SLUG 🅗?

Wow. That seems like a lot.

➧ I would have expected half of that (4FPE) between pellet and slug.
➧ And the other 4FPE I would chalk up to the much heavier pellet, that is able to absorb more energy in the barrel due to its weight.
If we compared a pellet of 34gr and a slug of 34gr — I would expect the muzzle energy difference to be only about 4FPE. 😊

Matthias

So, without changing your power setting you're getting a 7.7FPE muzzle energy difference between PELLET 🅙 and SLUG 🅗?

➧ And the other 4FPE I would chalk up to the much heavier pellet, that is able to absorb more energy in the barrel due to its weight.
If we compared a pellet of 34gr and a slug of 34gr — I would expect the muzzle energy difference to be only about 4FPE. 😊

Matthias

Bearing surface/friction.

Slugs have robbed a lot of fpe versus pellets in all the scenarios that I've tried.

Bearing surface/friction.

Slugs have robbed a lot of fpe versus pellets in all the scenarios that I've tried.

I fully agree with you, Frank! 👍🏼

My point was, that 8FPE from 63FPE seemed like a lot to me, based on limited personal experience, and based on posted ME numbers.

If you have some numbers accessible that show a higher loss than around 4FPE (.22 or .25cal) — I would love to hear them — and learn from them.

Thanks, 😊

Matthias

Matthias
Here is what I had:

26gr Hybrid:

IMG_3296.png

33.95 JSB:
IMG_3297.png

Mikko,

thanks for the numbers: 👍🏼

🅙 JSB 33.95gr at 897fps = 60.7FPE
🅗 Hybrids 26gr at 963fps = 53.5FPE

Yes, that's 7.2FPE difference, similar to the first numbers (7.7FPE) I calculated.

➧ Yeah, unless Frank or someone else has some numbers to show me in error (quite possible! 😆) —
I think about 4FPE loss are due to being a slug, and about 3FPE loss are due to being a projectile much lighter than the other.

Matthias

I fully agree with you, Frank! 👍🏼

My point was, that 8FPE from 63FPE seemed like a lot to me, based on limited personal experience, and based on posted ME numbers.

If you have some numbers accessible that show a higher loss than around 4FPE (.22 or .25cal) — I would love to hear them — and learn from them.

Thanks, 😊

Matthias

Just this past Tues....
.22/25.4 MRDs @ 980 = 54.18fpe
.22/34 gr Varmint Knockers @ 795 = 47.73fpe

Same reg pressure, hammer spring tension, barrel, etc, 6.45fpe difference between pellet and slug.

Mikko,

thanks for the numbers: 👍🏼

🅙 JSB 33.95gr at 897fps = 60.7FPE
🅗 Hybrids 26gr at 963fps = 53.5FPE

Yes, that's 7.2FPE difference, similar to the first numbers (7.7FPE) I calculated.

➧ Yeah, unless Frank or someone else has some numbers to show me in error (quite possible! 😆) —
I think about 4FPE loss are due to being a slug, and about 3FPE loss are due to being a projectile much lighter than the other.

Matthias
I have also shot similar weight JSB Knockout (33gr) and JSB 33.95. I dont have those saved but Knockout lost 30-40fps compared to pellets in same settings (900 vs 860).

Reactions: Franklink
Frank: 6.5FPE loss

Mikko: 61.1 vs. 54.8 ➠ 6.3FPE loss

OK, guys, I appreciate it, I learned something new from you.
I'm not liking what I learned (that slugs produce even more power loss than I originally thought...!!) 😆

🔘 BUT:
It's better to believe the bitter truth
than to be blinded by the radiating halo of error
only to crash & burn when the vehicle of error collides with the wall of reality.... 😵

Matthias

Both examples are maybe kinda distorted, since the weight is so different between slug and pellet.

I had some slugs delivered today that are more similar I'm weight to the 25.4gr pellet. When I get a chance to shoot them I'll share the speed difference. I've since tuned the gun down to be more like 890-900fps with the 25.4gr pellets.

I don't expect the fpe difference to be quite so drastic when the slugs weigh about what the pellets do.

Reactions: JungleShooter