Lifespan of SCBA tanks

I’m new to pcp air guns, and I’m curious about the SCBA lifespan. I have fire fighter buddies and I can get my hands on a couple aluminum wrapped SCBA tanks for free. I’ve been doing my research but I coming up with two different answers. One is 3 years of usage with a shelf life of 15 years and the other just says 15 years. I just don’t know which one to go with, didn’t know if it mattered that I wasn’t using it as a breathing apparatus and just to hold air or what. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

Drummer 87, there is a ton of info on this site . Look on the Air Tanks, Pumps, Compressors, & Filters section and you will find all your answers. However the basic info is the tanks have a life of 15 years per government regs and need to be retested (certified ) every 5 years. The difference comes when you have your own compressor. Many use and fill their own tanks long after the time limit expires. If you do not fill your own and use divers centers, paintball store, or other commercial venues then you are going to face the 5 and 15 year rule. Some companies even require a 3 year certification.

You alone can make your decision after exploring all the facts. Just remember that going cheap on these guages, fill hoses, adapters, fittings etc is a fools errand when dealing with 4500 PSI. When one of those ACE hardware fittings blows out poop gets real fast.

I did do some looking through the forum with a search but I wasn’t finding exactly what I wanted to know. Yes I do plan on getting a compressor to do it myself, my buddy from the fire department said he would fill the tanks for me if I wanted him to until I got a compressor. But I do plan on getting both of them hydro tested before I put any air into them. As far as my fill gauge and whatnot I was looking into the stickboy setup, believe me I’ve first hand see what high pressure can do and I don’t want any part of that. But thank you for your response that gave me the info I needed to move forward. 

The fact that "the powers that be" are considering extending the bottle life to 30 years tells me that using a tank older than 15 years old is not that big a deal. We ARE using very high pressure air & common sense dictates having a healthy respect for bursting hoses, inspecting fittings regularly, keeping your face a safe distance when filling, etc. Limiting the bottle life to 15 years was DOT's (or whomever) idea of a VERY WIDE margin of safety. As airgunners we are not subjecting SCBA's (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) to the heat & torturous conditions they're MEANT to take so I, for one, have minimal concern using a tank older than that. If I see that the integrity of the outer layers of the tank are in good shape I'm good with that tank. But that's just my OPINION. Others may opt for their own level of comfort. In my years of hydrotesting I've NEVER seen a carbon fiber tank explode or heard from others about one that had. That being said, If anyone's cf tank blows up in their face I deny all knowledge of this conversation! 

Drummer87- Welcome aboard, I think you'll enjoy this... Airtanks- The firemen you read previously have the professional experience to keep you safe, as close to the 100% as possible. Moving away from 100% is simply your choice.

That said, I chose to cross the line and use a 'slightly outdated tank, purchased and tested its' last year date of professional service (yea, I was cheap). Exterior was smooth and there was nothing to indicate abuse or any damage of any kind. But... it's typically not what you can see that allows high pressure vessels to come apart. I treat the tank very carefully, and immediately put a covering on it, and I keep it out of the sun.

Part of my decision in using the tank was based on speaking to a European manufacturer. He explained their tanks had a slightly longer use period in Europe and that US certification was based on DOT (Department of Transportation) evaluation for safe transport (thus some fairly rough handling).

Previous post are absolutely right - when you see a fully charged tank come apart, it gets real, REAL fast. I saw an aftermath photo of a blowup (15 years ago now), where a Toyota (Camry I think) had a tank come apart in the trunk while the guy was driving. He hit a fairly significant hickup in the roadway and the bounced tank (thrown in on other 'stuff' in trunk) ruptured. Trunk blown open, trunk bulged on most sides and the rear seat blown forward (not hard enough to hit the rear of the front seats and luckily he was the only person in the car). The guy was unhurt, pulled off the roadway under control. Screwed with his hearing, as you might guess... The funny part (once you know he was not seriously hurt) was what he said about the mist and dirt that instantly filled the passenger compartment- instantly he said he was in a dirty cloud bank inside his car, at highway speed. He went on to say he had no idea his backseat and speaker deck area could hold that much dust and dirt... His car was FUBAR'd.

When you decide to use an outdated tank, you simply make a risk judgement. Most of us decide to use outdated tanks due to the cost, thinking that outweighs the safety (ouch, reality sounds harsh)- If money were on no concern I would trot on over to Joe B's (ExpertHPA.com, an advertiser here) and buy the full Monty... 😁 He knows his stuff inside out and can explain it at whatever level you're comfortable at (young retired Science guy- the propeller head physic's type). His stuff can be a little more pricey (not ridiculous), but his quality and service is outstanding! 

You pay your money and make your choice brother... Best of Luck and Good Shooting! Hi-vel

So another question for you guys, so is it possible to fill an SCBA tank off of a regular air compressor? I have a 25 gallon stand up air compressor and I didn’t know if there are attachments I could use for it to be able to fill the high pressure requirements for an SCBA tank. I tried using the search and google but couldn’t find anything on that, again any advice would be appreciated 

Drummer87- I believe the short answer to be NO. My first HPA pumps were 'Shoebox's and they used a standard construction or garage type compressor to precharge the air to 80-90lbs. From there they boosted on up to 4500psi. Relatively slow, but worked very well for me.

My latest compressor is one of the Chinese imports. It was cheap and I figured worse case scenario would be a $300 write off. Amazon listed- YONG HENG . I have been pleasantly surprised. It only has half of a season on it, but not a bobble to date. I expect the key to long life will be in keeping it cool- I use ice bathes for both the bottle and for cooling water circulation, Shoeboxes and the better stuff is all air-cooled I believe.

Once again, Joe B has the good stuff, but it starts well over $1k. The good stuff and following the recommended maintenance schedule will give you years and years of service.

Figure out the economics and what works for you. Again I'll close- You pay your money and make your choice brother… Best of Luck and Good Shooting! Hi-vel

I have several scba tanks given to me by a volunteer fire dept. I inspected the outside and used a Harbor Freight fiber optic scope to inspect the inside. Everything looked good, so I filled them with my compressor to 4500 psi. I have been using them for several years. I also have 3 Joe Brancato tanks, which I also use, and prefer the Airtanksforsale,com valves. I mentioned this as I'm a scuba diver and have had to maintain dive tanks in remote areas in years past. These carbon fiber tanks are better units , they are lighter and show their weaknesses before they fail. At this point in time I'm watching the fourums for more info on this subject, as I'm not an expert. I do know that Europe has been using the same tanks for longer than 15 years with out problems. Comments? db

I have several scba tanks given to me by a volunteer fire dept. I inspected the outside and used a Harbor Freight fiber optic scope to inspect the inside. Everything looked good, so I filled them with my compressor to 4500 psi. I have been using them for several years. I also have 3 Joe Brancato tanks, which I also use, and prefer the Airtanksforsale,com valves. I mentioned this as I'm a scuba diver and have had to maintain dive tanks in remote areas in years past. These carbon fiber tanks are better units , they are lighter and show their weaknesses before they fail. At this point in time I'm watching the fourums for more info on this subject, as I'm not an expert. I do know that Europe has been using the same tanks for longer than 15 years with out problems. Comments? db

Yes a lot of good info in that article. I just got the two tanks from my buddy looked at the birth date one was made in 97’ and the other was made in 99’. I think I’m gonna pass on these two tanks being 20 and 22 years old that doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzy feeling I was hoping to have. Digital wave wouldn’t be able to re-certify them because the part number doesn’t match what their website says they will re-certify.