LGU Varmint

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Every time I take my LGU Varmint out on a date I always come back with a smile. 
I hit 11 targets on back hill (33-35yds.) in sequence then this spinner five shots at 25 yds. (Smallest of 3 set). Holding gun in sitting position, resting on knee. I can’t do this with any of my other guns.
If I notched the stock for tree rats it be gone.

I believe I purchased the last LGU in Canada at AGS. You know what they say (best for the last). This one is so sweet, quiet, smooth and accurate.
802CD6A2-9FAE-4990-8CFB-B82C73BF7191.1618670038.jpeg
BC996549-60E2-499D-A1C8-E72437FC24AA.1618670264.jpeg
 For current guns I think the LGU (LGV)has the nicest stocks and I would love a couple if I could find them. I would like to replicate my Varmint gun to a wood stock when I find the blank.

Have any of you customized your LGU? Crow 

I have both an LGU and LGV. The LGV is stock with exception of a Rowan trigger. I have a 2" square target hanging on a tree limb at 65 yards from my back shooting point. 2 dots of holdover are necessary with my 35 yard zero but it will hit that target every shot on a calm day. The LGU is a bit more consistent for me but both are amazing IMO.

Beside that 2" target I have a 1" round disk hanging from the same limb. At 45 yards, both will hit that 1" disk every shot. These Walther rifles are, at least in my case, extremely accurate. I would not hesitate to buy another of either type.

bandg 2 1/2yrs ago when I started buying guns 1st a Benjamin Discovery .22 and then a HW90 .25. A waste for me, rarely use them, rarely will. I always wished they were the LGU and LGV. Enjoy your rifles, your lucky.

elguapo99 another five minutes I’m going to ask you to stop talking. Couldn’t imagine it smoother. I will look into these improvements for mine. Sweet! Of all my rifles my Varmint LGU is easily my favourite to hold.

The lead I used was a JBL 14.35

Thanks Crow 

If I notched the stock for tree rats it be gone.

That one got me laughing thank you.

I have a similar rifle, mine has the Woodstock with cheek piece It is also a super accurate springer. Mine is a 22.

they are super accurate for a variety of reasons. Superb trigger. Great ergonomics. Great barrel. Smooth shot cycle. And one more thing, mine is quite heavy, especially scoped. Heavy Springers are much easier to shoot.

Nice post.

mike

bandg 2 1/2yrs ago when I started buying guns 1st a Benjamin Discovery .22 and then a HW90 .25. A waste for me, rarely use them, rarely will. I always wished they were the LGU and LGV. Enjoy your rifles, your lucky.

elguapo99 another five minutes I’m going to ask you to stop talking. Couldn’t imagine it smoother. I will look into these improvements for mine. Sweet! Of all my rifles my Varmint LGU is easily my favourite to hold.

The lead I used was a JBL 14.35

Thanks Crow

Thanks, hope you enjoy yours as well. Both of my Walther's shoot the 8.44 AA DF pellets very well. There was a forum member, I believe his name was Eric Pianetti, who was making three screw metal triggers for the LGV/LGU, in either stock or setback versions. I have one in the LGU and they are very nice triggers but I haven't seen anything from him in a long time and I can't find his contact information. I've mentioned this before and maybe he'll see these posts and chime in, if he is still making the triggers.

bandg I remember you mentioning this before. Can’t remember what I did last night but I do remember you mentioning Eric. I would give an eye tooth for one of those triggers and I still have an eye tooth. I’m gonna keep Eric‘s name on file and watch out for him. Thanks Crow

When I have a chance, I'll check my past orders and see if I can find his information. If I used PayPal then I'll probably have a list of the order there and if so I'll contact him for you and ask if he's still making the triggers. If I can reach him and he says it's OK I'll post his info here. Since the rifles don't seem to be in production, he might have stopped making the triggers but I'll try to find out.

For current guns I think the LGU (LGV)has the nicest stocks and I would love a couple if I could find them. I would like to replicate my Varmint gun to a wood stock when I find the blank.

Have any of you customized your LGU? Crow

I received the second to last .177 LGU Varmint from Krale a couple weeks ago. I also bought an original beech wood stock (thank you JohnnyPiston!), trigger guard and trigger guard screws with the intention of converting it from a Varmint to Master configuration. The rifle is on my bench, removed from its synthetic stock awaiting further disassembly for cleaning and lube, but I have run into a problem regarding installing it into the wood stock. The trigger clamshell has a small gap in it, which makes it too wide for the original steel trigger guard to fit. I will have to take the trigger apart and look for a burr or other reason this clamshell cannot be properly closed. I have taken a few photos and will make a post about this soon. Hopefully I can get to disassembling the trigger this evening after work.

I still need to order a scope, scope mount and trigger to replace the original plastic one. That said, I am really looking forward to shooting this Walther soon.

bandg I remember you mentioning this before. Can’t remember what I did last night but I do remember you mentioning Eric. I would give an eye tooth for one of those triggers and I still have an eye tooth. I’m gonna keep Eric‘s name on file and watch out for him. Thanks Crow

When I have a chance, I'll check my past orders and see if I can find his information. If I used PayPal then I'll probably have a list of the order there and if so I'll contact him for you and ask if he's still making the triggers. If I can reach him and he says it's OK I'll post his info here. Since the rifles don't seem to be in production, he might have stopped making the triggers but I'll try to find out.

I sent an email to the PayPal contact I had for him. No response yet. If I get one, I'll let you know. MIght not be worth his effort with the guns out of production.

Hello. I am available for any questions you have for LGU / LGV triggers. I still make them if you are interested. My contract info is [email protected]

If you are interested the following is offered:

-Curved style trigger (extended and positioned further back that OEM) with fully adjustable first and second stage (trigger pull range 4 oz. to 4 lbs.)

-Straight competition style trigger with a pressure register ball with fully adjustable first and second stage (trigger pull range 4 oz. to 4 lbs.)

-Trigger housing sear stoning, polishing, machining and case hardening (this provides further crispiness to the second stage let-off, and removes any grittiness felt on the first stage).

-Cheek rest installation on your own stock. Will machine a cheek-rest mechanism, cut your stock, sand, seal the new cut area, install and polish. 

-Adjustable but-plate extension to increase the length of pull. You will need to drill the stock to make room for the two extension rods. You can always send in the stock to have the work performed . 

Email me so that I can send you some pictures and a trigger manual install for you to evaluate. 

Thank you, 

Eric Pianori 

[email protected]

Nice to see Eric is still making those. I view mine as well worth the cost and a major improvement to the gun. I have a Rowan trigger in the LGV but may consider getting a second curved setback trigger like the one already in the LGU. For me, I think the setback helps as much as the excellent adjustment screw placement. Glad to see the response and I hope it helps some folks.