• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

LGU Varmint .177 fpe question

I'm trying to order a Walther LGU Varmint .177, but noticed it comes in two different configurations. One is the 11.8 fpe, and the other is listed at 17 fpe on the Krale site. Using their airgun calculator, the fps on the 11.8 fpe is 787 fps. The 17 fpe model shows 967 fps. I assume they're using some arbitrary standard pellet weight to figure fpe. I'm all confused now. Which model is the one usually sold in the US, and what would be the reason to get the lower powered model?

Many countries limit muzzle energy of air rifles to 12 fpe. Spring air rifles are inherently more accurate at lower powers because of the mechanics of the system. One would want the lower powered version if they were shooting in tournaments which limited muzzle energy to 12 FPE, if they were shooting target, or if they just preferred a smoother shot cycle. Higher muzzle energies are more appropriate to use when hunting because of flatter trajectories and greater down range energy. Generally they are more humane if the shooter/hunter does his job.

A 12fpe .177 springer will be less hold sensitive and just generally more pleasant to shoot. A 17fpe .177 is pretty stout and may prove difficult to shoot accurately on a consistent basis. So I would say it depends on what you want to do with it (targets or small game), how experienced you are with shooting a springer, and/or how much effort you are willing to apply toward practicing and learning how.

Thanks for the quick replies! I would be mostly using it for small game. Squirrels, starlings, etc.

The only springer experience I have so far is the cheap Ruger I mentioned in previous thread. I've gotten pretty good with it, and it's pretty accurate out to 20 - 25 yards, but I'm looking to move up. The Ruger is a .177 also, and although I haven't chronographed it, they claim 1200 fps with alloy pellets, and 1000 fps with lead. That's what has me confused. Would the heavier Walther be any harder to handle at a rated 967 fps than what I'm using now? It's still subsonic, so I shouldn't have to worry about the noise. Or does accuracy just suffer more when you get towards 1000 fps? 

Thanks again! 

The LGU is a better built rifle. In either configuration it will likely be more accurate than your Ruger. That particular rifle also has a reputation for being accurate. Since you intend to hunt with it and it is only your second rifle this is a tough call. My D430L shoots JSB 8.44s at 800 FPS (~12 fpe) and I would be very comfortable with hunting squirrels out to 40 yards with it because it is so accurate. I tuned my Stormrider to 14 fpe with the same pellet and again would be perfectly comfortable with it on squirrels out to about 40 yards. I would think that 17 fpe rifle shooting a good heavy pellet would probably shoot somewhere around 840 to 860 fps. It would make for a fine hunter but if you want a really sweet shooter and you don't mind placing your shots the 12 fpe rifle will likely be more accurate out of the box. Either way you have picked a fine rifle. Welcome to the addiction.

I bought the16J (11.8 FPE) version of the LGU. I shoot field target matches and silhouette as well with it. The LGU shoots very well out of the box and won a few field target matches with it. I only had to replace the plastic trigger and the wood stock. I have broken a few springs because I shoot it so much over the past 3 years. For accuracy, many tuners have found that keeping the velocity under 900 fps gives the best accuracy with pellets. I have shot my LGU with a broken spring at 675 fps during a two day field target match because I had no other choice and won with it. The LGU shoots just as good as at 775 fps with 8.4 grain JSB or AA pellets. Since you are mostly going to hunt with it, I suggest getting the 17 FPE version. It will have more vibration and noise than the lower power version but the accuracy still be there if you practice a lot. Before shooting it, take it appart and remove all the moly grease inside the compression chamber when you get it. Dieseling will result if you do not. Use a small amount of Superlube synthetic grease in the piston seal and compression tube.

Good Luck!

Higher speed does not necessarily mean higher accuracy with springers. It usually means more vibration and a harsher shot cycle.

Its true. Generally, you get better accuracy with a lower powered springer (12fpe)- not the other way around. However, the LGU is an excellent rifle and you won't be disappointed with the 17+fpe one. I also believe its better to get the higher powered one, then replace the spring with a lower powered one. In other words, start high power and tune to a lower power. That way you can go back and forth if you wanted to.

I wish I had known about the quality of the Walther LGU way back when. I would have bought one instead of the HW97kt that I did buy. I don't care for the stock and the non-resetable safety on the HW97kt and I really don't like how the cocking lever makes a high-pitched ping anytime its used. 

Since you are interested in hunting, not only would I recommend the 17+fpe one but I'd also recommend it in .22 cal.

I bought the WALTHER LGU Varmint when they first came out also from Krales. Was not offered in the USA. At that time the gun was advertised as having the LW barrel. Bought the 16 joule in .177. VERY nice gun and accurate out of the box. These guns are very well built and the insides showed some really good machine work. Captured rear guide and clam shell housing was much better than I expected, Solid built gun and easy to work. I changed the rear guide and spring for a bit more power and was really happy with the gun. The guns is no way a light built gun. I would buy another one for sure. Quality way above many and built similar to the TX200 power plant wise. 

Plenty of power in .177 and mine shot the CPHP and was not pellet picky. JMO💀

End cap of muzzle brake is removable and can be baffled. This can reduce some report. It will not be as a full can in results but IMO will help. You use to be able to order the better trigger that is an improvement of the regular trigger.Factory trigger is not bad but if you are a light trigger user you will have to learn the trigger as with other makes. JMO💀