LGU Trigger Mod

A few years back, I posted this on GTA and feel a replay may help some on this forum.

The Walther LGU is a magnificent gun and accurate as all get up. I feel it is vastly underrated and for one reason or another, it didn't take hold like the LGV has, but hey, that's the way it goes.

The weak area in the LGU is the trigger. There have been a few mods done like the "Yankee" trigger and the "tuning" trigger that have been successful in lightening up the factory original that pulls out the gun's accuracy potential. Here is mine.

I found the problem centers around the fact the original second stage non-adjustable pin it too close to the sear bar's pivot point which hinders the mechanical advantage of leverage. You simply have to put more pressure on the trigger to move the sear bar that gets the sear to break. So I added a second stage screw that is further away from the pivot pin (fulcrum if you may) giving a greater mechanical advantage to the entire set up and making the trigger pull as light and crisp as my HW97 with its Rekord trigger.

The mod itself is not very pretty. I filled the sides of the factory trigger with JB Weld and drilled a hole to accept a second stage screw. The screw in the picture was the experimental one and it is made longer in order to get a measurement for the final screw. The drawing is a rough approximation of the internal system just to give an idea of what takes place.

The blue line denotes the distance from the original factory second stage non-adjustable pin to the pivot point on the sear bar. The red line is the new, more leverage, distance to the pivot point on the bar with the new second stage screw installed.

As the trigger is pulled rearward, the first stage screw pushes the sear bar up until the second stage screw contacts the bar. When that happens, it is felt as a stop point at the end of the first stage pull. The next thing to happen, with the addition of a small amount of pressure, breaks the sear free. The two screws have to be carefully adjusted to achieve this balance, but when they are, you get a fantastic trigger with a light pull and sharp break.

I cleaned things up a bit and have been enjoying this trigger mod for quite some time now. Out to 40 yards, on a good day, the LGU can give my PCP's a run for their money.

1544283668_1362737055c0be6145c4d22.57964784_LGU TRIGGER MOD.jpg

Reactions: bandg
Very nice writeup and picture. If I recall correctly, I saw Springerrrr's original post on this before I did my modification. I did much the same for my LGU trigger but I removed the stock second stage fixed pin and I angled the added second stage screw back to that position so that it exits where the second stage pin originally was. I also used the finest thread screw I could find to allow adjustment to be a little easier to set very finely. I believe that the modification is well worth it for any LGU or LGV trigger. I think the location I set for my second stage screw may add just a little to felt pull weight but also may slightly shorten second stage pull length in relation to Springerrrr's location but I bet the difference would be relatively small and feel would probably be very similar. The improvement to trigger feel with the two adjustments would be quite noticeable with either position and certainly has been absolutely worth it to me. Is it as good as a Rekord trigger? Probably not but it's real close. Similar has been done to Beeman P17 triggers although a drill and tap is needed but it is basically a very similar modification. I've done 4 of those P17's myself and the trigger on those already accurate pistols can see similar improvement. Great initial idea and execution from Springerrrr.

For those of you that own an LGU (not LGV) while I was researching these rifles I read a few times that they had an issue with the cocking lever. How has been your experience? Ultimately I got the LGV as it seemed easier to load and the lockup system assured consistency with the barrel. While I don’t plan on getting the LGU, I would like to know still, as sometimes I mention this to others doing research. 

Intenseaty22-

I have both LGV and LGU. The LGU has been great and seems to just edge the LGV in accuracy but both are stellar. No problems with my cocking arm. LGV lockup is beyond good due to the mechanism but fixed barrel may have advantages(?). I would not hesitate to buy either rifle again.

Ziabeam-

No pictures of the mod on my computer, sorry. I'm pretty low tech, don't even have a cell phone right now. I believe the GTA site has some pictures posted of modded P17 triggers as that is where I got the idea. When I go back into the pistol I'll get some pictures and post them but I have slip on rubber grips on them now and removal may be difficult. Probably will have to do it eventually but not unless necessary. Most difficult part is keeping the drilled hole centered in the trigger blade since the added screw works on a pretty narrow sear piece and they have been noted to shift and slip off. I put my trigger in an adjustable machinists vise on a drill press to keep it as centered as possible. Mine have been well worth the effort.

I don't know anything about the cocking lever problem on the LGU. What I can say is that I can see a potential problem, in that the lever slides along a channel in the stock against the wood or polymer, depending on the stock you have. This may become a wear point and that just may be the problem mentioned in the previous post.

I make sure to keep a thick grease in that area to circumvent any possible problem.