• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lever action: reliable or cheap novelty?

I am interested in a reliable, workhorse, PCP in .22 or .25, preferably under $800.

I would very much like a lever action. I am aware of the Seneca Eagle Claw and the Hatsan Vectis but I am concerned that these may be novelty guns that may not last. I would rather go with a bolt action that just keeps working than a cool lever action that gives up on me after a couple of years. I saw a Benjamin Kratos in the classifieds that looked intriguing. Have never used a side lever.

Any advice or warnings? Advantages and disadvantages of the different action styles. Much appreciate any pointers.

- G

Novelty ?....Unreliable ?

Koreans have been making lever action cowboy style rifles for a number of decades,

Actually the new design of the Eagle Claw is even more reliable then the old style EunJin and Shin Sung ussed to make.

The Eagle Claw has a self indexing magazine so the actual mechanism of the lever action is really simple compared to the Sumatra design where the lever action would also index the magazine.

Reactions: Glem.Chally
I am interested in a reliable, workhorse, PCP in .22 or .25, preferably under $800.

Any advice or warnings? Advantages and disadvantages of the different action styles. Much appreciate any pointers.

- G
You did not mention sidelever at all. I don't want to assume anything, for all i know you've shot them all, but if you have not been shooting PCP, or are coming from powder burners, you might not be aware of the sidelever action that has become standard on PCP rifles. IMHO, it's really the way to go. (And I LOVE a lever action powder burner!)

One advantage that the side lever has over bolt or lever, is that while still offering the positive action required to chamber a round, (and that extra level of safety that offers as well as a good tactile feel,) The side lever is operated so easily and smoothly it has virtually no effect on your sight picture, or grip/shouldering of the rifle. Bolt actions are similar, but require more motion,. and lever actions require even more movement.

Last edited:
You did not mention sidelever at all. I don't want to assume anything, for all i know you've shot them all, but if you have not been shooting PCP, or are coming from powder burners, you might not be aware of the sidelever action that has become standard on PCP rifles. IMHO, it's really the way to go. (And I LOVE a lever action powder burner!)

One advantage that the side lever has over bolt or lever, is that while still offering the positive action required to chamber a round, (and that extra level of safety that offers as well as a good tactile feel,) The side lever is operated so easily and smoothly it has virtually no effect on your sight picture, or grip/shouldering of the rifle. Bolt actions are similar, but require more motion,. and lever actions require even more movement.
Not to mention lever actions are not friendly on the bench, shooting off of a rest.
I suppose once you do get them sighted in, they’d make for a nice truck gun

Reactions: CyberDyneSystems
Hello look at a used Career 707 or a Sumatra 2500 you can probably find them for around $400 or so. I had a 22cal long Career 707 as one of my 1st pcp and it was a great gun. One of my friends has it now and still uses it regularly to remove pests. Hope this helps Eric
I have a Career 707 in .25 cal that is somewhere around 25 years old. Never rebuilt, never had an issue, holds air to this day. It is a solid, dependable, one-owner rifle. Only minor fault I'd point out is the trigger is a little stiff. Not horrible but a little stiff. In fact if I hadn't recently moved on to higher dollar PCPs I would not have thought to mention it. It is the stick feed type magazine so it's eaten a lot of cheap Eun Jin 33 grain pellets and killed a lot of critters.

I wish someone would come out with a really nice bolt gun, one that acts/functions/and feels like the Remington 700. Large tactical knob, smooth and not affected by hammer spring tension, where you have to brace the rifles butt pad against your shoulder in order to cock it.

Instead of the bullpup styles all coming out, why not someone design pcp’s more to look like the classic powder burners? The M70, the REM 700, M1 garand, etc, or use the accutrigger design like what savage uses?