• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Level's, Level's I don't need no stinkin Level's or so I thought

I have mounted some where north of 500 scopes in my life, after 30+ years in the pawn/gunstore employment. Not to mention my airgun hobby. I have never used level's to mount scopes, other tricks to get it setup or so I thought. Well last night I used a couple of level's to mount a coupled of scopes. I will never be with out them again. It was the easiest mounting I have ever done, not to mention it was straight with the bore first attempt. Guys if you are not using levels. give it a try you won't regret it.

tim

Last edited:
Just FYI, the typical approach using two levels (one on the scope, one on the gun) is subject to over a half dozen potential sources of error. It may be pretty quick and is usually better than eyeballing it, but it does not ensure proper scope alignment.

A couple of reliable methods involve looking at your reflection through the scope to align the reticle with the muzzle, or using a laser collimator. The former requires no special tools so that’s the one I usually recommend.

Suggested reading on the topic:

I used 7 dollars of level's bought at my local hardware store. One 5 dollar level with a magnet in it.
I also bought a 2.50$ torpedo level and pulled the three levels out of it.

tim

IMG_4132[1].JPG

IMG_4133[1].JPG

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I used 7 dollars of level's bought at my local hardware store. One 5 dollar level with a magnet in it.
I also bought a 2.50$ torpedo level and pulled the three levels out of it.

tim

View attachment 313879

View attachment 313880
Is that picture off my bench.. lol. I dont mind repurposeing my well used bent or off level viles . Then maybe why i can hit dirt if aiming at the ground?

Reactions: 450BM
just got a scope today,,,, I will use the mirror method, again,,, have not use my levels on a scope since I found the mirror trick, Happy Happy Happy in western Nebraska,
but that is me, everyone does what makes them smile,
for me it is 5 yds to a mirror and the gun on a bench rest, parallax at 10yds, cross hair centered on objective bell and lower reticle centered on the barrel,, snug up the screws, criss-cross, baby steps on the snugging,, in my dark hallway, illumination helps

... or using a laser collimator. The former requires no special tools so that’s the one I usually recommend.
Can you help me understand what the "a laser collimator" does, or better how to attach it to the scope?
I have tried many different ways or fine tunning the scope and the bubble, with a mirror, with a flashlight and always using a vertical string, and I have 3d printed my own tool something similar then the tier-one (yellow) or the browning (aluminum). Still eager to learn something new.

Can you help me understand what the "a laser collimator" does, or better how to attach it to the scope?
You can use a decent laser boresighter as a collimator to align a scope. The basic concept is to project the bore's center line out as a laser dot you can see through the scope, and align the scope's reticle to it.

Orient the scope to the barrel
  1. Prep the scope by mechanically centering it (puts the reticle in the middle of its adjustment range)
  2. Loosely mount the scope in the rings such that you can still rotate it.
  3. Looking through the scope, view the laser dot against a target at a distance that’s somewhere in the ballpark of the apex of the trajectory (typically something like 25-30yds for most airguns)
  4. Rotate the scope so the vertical bar of the reticle covers the laser dot.
  5. Lock down the scope, taking care not to let it rotate as you tighten the screws.
  6. Now focus the scope on a target at close range (e.g. 10yds) and confirm the reticle continues to cover the laser dot. If not, return to step 4.

-> Scope alignment is complete. You have eliminated scope cant error. Proceed with attaching a level...
Attach a level
  1. View a plumb line (string with a weight dangling from it) through the scope.
  2. Orient the gun so the vertical bar of the reticle superimposes on the plumb line.
  3. Secure your spirit level so it shows level. A scope-mounted level is best so you can adjust the level as needed. A level that attaches to the rail usually has no way to adjust and should therefore be avoided.

-> From now on, hold the gun so the spirit level shows level and you will be eliminating gun cant.
[edit: updated and corrected steps 3 and 6 of the first numbered list]

Last edited:
Reactions: crowski