Leupold VX Freedom $199

20210905_182221.1630891600.jpg
just put fx carbon fiber liner. Had to wrap pencil on sand paper with vise grip on bottom and lap thread like fire starter. Carbon fiber fit my m3 barrel nut thread but had to sand thread for m2. 

Why would you want an optic with a 60yd fixed paralax on a springer?
Because I like to shoot at 60 yards?

I ordered a VX Freedom because I didn't want to buy scope made in China since they have nuclear weapons pointed at me and my family. I'd rather not support an entity like that. I learned that if I decide to change the fixed parallax down to 40 or maybe even lower, I can do this myself at home by following instructions available on-line. Leupold used to make this adjustment for you if you sent your scope in but when Covid virus hit the USA, they had to closed their support shop.

Moderator edit: Covid replaced XXXXXXX. Keep political commentary out of AGN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I like to shoot at 60 yards?

I ordered a VX Freedom because I didn't want to buy scope made in China since they have nuclear weapons pointed at me and my family. I'd rather not support an entity like that. I learned that if I decide to change the fixed parallax down to 40 or maybe even lower, I can do this myself at home by following instructions available on-line. Leupold used to make this adjustment for you if you sent your scope in but when Covid virus hit the USA, they had to closed their support shop.

Moderator edit: Covid replaced XXXXXXX. Keep political commentary out of AGN.
Or you could just buy a Leopold with an adjustable parallax instead of one meant for a rimfire. That being said, a lot of Leopold offerings still fall short of the offerings from China these days. You're free to purchase whatever you like though

I learned that if I decide to change the fixed parallax down to 40 or maybe even lower, I can do this myself at home by following instructions available on-line.

I have a 2-7x33 Rimfire MOA scope that I adjusted the parallax on.

Easier than other scopes as the objective cap is not glued on so no heat or solvent required. It did require two rubber strap wrenches, however.

What really made it easy was no special tool required like other scopes. The lens carrier & the two slots protrude so I either used a butter knife or a metal ruler to make the adjustments.

Or you could just buy a Leopold with an adjustable parallax instead of one meant for a rimfire. That being said, a lot of Leopold offerings still fall short of the offerings from China these days. You're free to purchase whatever you like though
Well here is the thing. The title of this original post is Leupold VX Freedom $199. Well they are now $299 to $349. I bought mine from Optics planet for $324 including tax. The Leupold VX Freedom EFR, with adjustable parallax, which I believe you are suggesting I can just get, is about $432 with tax; $432 is out of my current springer scope budget. Alas, it also only comes with a fine duplex reticle; not one with vertical reference lines like the rimfire reticle; This is a deal breaker.

After using the Leupold VX Freedom with the "fixed" at 60 yards rimfire reticle, I find that at 30 yards, the maximum amount I can make the reticle move by moving my eye alignment off center is; 5/8 of an inch. which is 5/16 from off of center, using 7x magnification. This is max error! looking as off center down the scope as possible without the image blacking out or the scope having super obvious scope shadow.

When I shoot I do all I can to look straight down the scope, centering the scope shadow and using a consistent cheek weld. I estimate my parallax error to be 1/8 inch, which is 1/16 from center at 30 yards. This can get even smaller if I make and adjustment to the current 60 yard setting. I seldom shoot at targets under 30 yards because; .... too boring. I hit every time.

I also found that when I did have an adjustable parallax knob on my scope, I seldom used it. I found it wasn't worth moving the bell around just to gain a small amount of theoretical accuracy. I actually enjoy practicing good technique in positioning my eye directly behind the reticle.

I've only had this scope for about a week now but I'm really starting to like it more as I go, for different reasons.

I'm have the scope mounted on an HW97K underlever springer in .177. I shoot paper and plinking targets outdoors at mostly 30 to 60 yards. I occasionally go out to 80 yards but mostly 30 to 60 yards .... for now.