• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 - 50mm Scope- Thoughts?

Picking up a rifle and the seller is give me the option to buy this scop3 with for an additional $300.
It's a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 - 50mm Scope. Anyone here have any experience with it?
I know next to nothing about scopes so figured I'd ask. Seems like a decent quality scope that went for upwards of $500+ when new. My only gripe is it seems to have a rather plain cross reticle.
While I don't need something as busy as say a primary arms acss, i'd have liked mildots atleast.
But if the hive says otherwise and this is real nice scope for the money I'll go for it.
Just for range use btw.
Thanks!

Picking up a rifle and the seller is give me the option to buy this scop3 with for an additional $300.
It's a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 - 50mm Scope. Anyone here have any experience with it?
I know next to nothing about scopes so figured I'd ask. Seems like a decent quality scope that went for upwards of $500+ when new. My only gripe is it seems to have a rather plain cross reticle.
While I don't need something as busy as say a primary arms acss, i'd have liked mildots atleast.
But if the hive says otherwise and this is real nice scope for the money I'll go for it.
Just for range use btw.
Thanks!
I'd pass on it without any thought at that price, probably pass on any price much over 125. The Vari-x III line is a very old scope and the glass/coatings quality is left behind by today's decent 3-400 dollar scopes. The prices people pay for old Leupold's boggles the mind, the "L" is not worth it. Even when they were the current line a couple decades ago, I would not waste my money on one.

True story, a friend and I were hunting a farm in NC around 2005. In the afternoon a front was coming in and the clouds were pure black, no light areas at all. We decided we didn't want to get wet so we both sat in the same covered blind on the edge of a decent size field for after lunch hunting. About 25 minutes after sunset, I spied a good size buck thinking about coming out in the far corner of the field 275 yards away with my Swarovski 8x30 binoculars and told my friend to take him. The sky was pure black low clouds, light rain. He had that exact same Leupold on his 300 win mag, and could not see the buck hanging on the edge of the vine covered wood line. I saw it reasonably clearly but somewhat dark with my high end Swarovski 8x30's. I already had a deer in the freezer but he didn't yet, he had shot my rifle many times and knew the difference between him shooting my rifle and me shooting it, so I handed him my 7mag with a top of the line Swarovski on it. He saw the deer instantly, got comfortable, verified with me drop for him vs me, and 1 minute before end of legal shooting time took it. He was a die hard "L" fan up until that day, and always gave me grief for wasting money on useless expensive scopes, he changed his mind that night.

Really, those old Leupolds were really behind the times by the mid 90's as far as coatings and glass quality went, way overpriced for what you got.

Reactions: Nutcracker