Leupold Parallax Adjustment

Zut

Mar 25, 2022
Montana
I had an old Leupold VXII 3-9 laying around and I wanted to use it on the HW35. Shooting at 20-25 yards, the scope was very blurry and parallax was terrible. I coundn't keep my cheek weld in the same place and groups were very poor.

I pulled the objective cover off with a rubber strap wrench and moved the objective group out until I had a crisp view at 33 yards. Now I have good focus from about 17 yards to 45 yards. Easy to do and groups are awesome now.

Group was at 20 yards with bench rest. I used Sportsmatch TO4C rings

Zut

Leupold Parallax Adj.jpg

HW35 Group with Leupold .jpg

HW35 with Leupold Scope .jpg

Last edited:
Edit
That's great information.. I wonder if that voids their warranty?
I don't know. The scope is at least 12 years old. I thought I would try using it just to see if it would break with a springer.

BTW, the power adjustment ring is pretty stiff. I called Leupold and asked them if they would warranty that and they said no problem. So I asked if it was okay to use it on a springer air rifle and the guy said all Leupolds were springer rated. I was really not sure if the guy knew what he was talking about! LOL

Zut

I pulled the objective cover off with a rubber strap wrench and moved the objective group out until I had a crisp view at 33 yards. Now I have good focus from about 17 yards to 45 yards. Easy to do and groups are awesome now.

So you did this on max power? And you adjusted for focus and not parallax error? Or a bit of both?

For what it is worth, I have read on firearm forums that re-setting the parallax on a Leupold scope does not void the warranty since their lens carriers are not glued in place. I have not heard that direct from Leupold so please don't take my word on it.

The used to do this through their custom shop. Have heard conflicting reports if they still offer this service.

Reactions: Mycapt65
I'm trying to get away from AO and SF scopes in general. I've used a 100 yd parallax 4x Vantage scope on my Hw50 for a few months and it's been absolutely great. For some reason I can't get apart to adjust the parallax closer. I've done it on others without problems. The 4x hawk is in sharp focus at 11 yards for me but if I get sloppy with my form my accuracy suffers a bit at short range. I've been looking for a non AO rimfire scope for my R1 and the only one I can find that has a reliable warranty is leupold. That's why I was asking about voiding the warranty. Thank you for letting me know these can be user adjusted. Unlike the Hawke Vantage.

Reactions: Zut
I would call Leupold and ask about the warranty. Please post back if you do. I have an inner ear issue that makes it difficult for me to understand some headsets so I tend to avoid calling businesses in general. If you do call please ask if they offer this as a service.

I have one scope with a glued lens carrier and I was able to drop small amounts of acetone in there with a syringe until it released. Not sure if that's the problem you're having with the Hawke or not.

Reactions: Mycapt65
I would call Leupold and ask about the warranty. Please post back if you do. I have an inner ear issue that makes it difficult for me to understand some headsets so I tend to avoid calling businesses in general. If you do call please ask if they offer this as a service.

I have one scope with a glued lens carrier and I was able to drop small amounts of acetone in there with a syringe until it released. Not sure if that's the problem you're having with the Hawke or not.
Thanks the Hawke is a fairly inexpensive scope that I was prepared to destroy trying to change it. I may try the acetone

Thanks the Hawke is a fairly inexpensive scope that I was prepared to destroy trying to change it. I may try the acetone
Scope I used the acetone is also fairly inexpensive.

The outer ring of the objective bell is not what I used acetone on. That ring actually came off pretty easily. I didn't even have to use a strap wrench.

It was the inner lens carrier with the two notches in it that wouldn't budge. I just kept applying small amounts of acetone, trying to turn the lens carrier after each application. Eventually it broke free.

I assume acetone could also be used on the outer ring, if that's the part you're having trouble with.

So you did this on max power? And you adjusted for focus and not parallax error? Or a bit of both?

For what it is worth, I have read on firearm forums that re-setting the parallax on a Leupold scope does not void the warranty since their lens carriers are not glued in place. I have not heard that direct from Leupold so please don't take my word on it.

The used to do this through their custom shop. Have heard conflicting reports if they still offer this service.
When adjusted for sharp focus on high power 9x , the parallax seems to be perfect. Moving my head around does not move the reticle in relation to the target. Before the parallax error would move the reticle at least an inch or so.

Z

Last edited:
Reactions: Scouty