• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leupold on Air Rifles

I have Leupold scopes on all of my air rifles, both PCP and spring guns. They are really good scopes BUT they may not now be the best scopes for what I am using them for. When I bought them they were state of the art for my intended purpose which was NRA silhouette shooting. They are all Vari-X-III EFR scopes. Some are 6.5-20X and some have be modified to 18-40X. They are still ideal for NRA silhouette but they are a bit lacking for field target and they never were ideal for hunting. They have front turret focusing and a fairly fine crosshair reticle with a single silhouette dot. Today shooters are using scopes with side wheel focus and much more articulated reticles for field target.

Leupold has a good service policy however they have refused to service certain of their scopes which were modified by a source that was originally honored and authorized by them. Unfortunately I have fallen into that particular "donut hole" so I most probably will not be buying any more of their products.

Prior to using Leupold scopes I had many Burris scopes and had a service issue with them many years ago and moved to Leupold.

Presently I am in the market for a couple of new scopes and there are so many out there I am not sure what to spend my money on. I have read and researched quite a bit but I am still not sure. No one wants to spend a lot of money and be disappointed.

Even though Leupold and Burris left a bad taste in my mouth they are still good products.

Rick Bassett

Most of their scopes will have parallax issues at airgun ranges. Most are 25 or 50 yard minimum on the adjusable. The fixed objective models are set at 150 yards from the factory. I have a VXIII 6.5-20 EFR and like it. I had the custom shop change the reticle to mil dots. They replaced the erector spring under warranty when it stopped returning to zero after a couple years on my HW97. I have an FXII 12x hat I adjusted the parallax down to 20 yards on that I have used quite a bit, but never has settled down to a permanent home. I use a VX1 4-12 that I set the fixed parallax at 40 yards for testing guns that I have bought before deciding what scope they will get for good.