• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leupold 45x45 ranging

I have 2 Leupold 45x45’s and I was curious about a lot of conflicting statements concerning the minimum focal point aka minimum parallax adjustment.

I tested both of mine yesterday and they both parallax adjusted / focused down to 12 yards.

These would be considered older models? I’m curious if anyone else who has a 45x45 has a different minimum focus range?

Reactions: dgeesaman
Hey Rudy, the Leup Competitions, which were wildly popular 15 years ago amongst FT and Benchrest guys. I myself have a couple Leup 35's around tht go down to 10.6 yards and have the mildot reticle (installed by Leup when they still did it in their custom shop) . They worked well, but had a huge amount of clear when trying to range find. And to be good and repeatable with the Leup, you had to range back and forth quickly and pick the spot that was the clearest. There was no snapping in of focus, thus most people abandoned them over time. Better scopes are out now that work better, have LIT RETICLES, and actually cost less. The Leup was and still is great glass, but coming from the factory with a miniature 1/8 moa dot which my crappy eyes cant see, or a fine azz reticle, is useless. Plus no one these days will put in another reticle. And the fact that its not a lighted reticle throws many off. Theyre great for BR tho.........BC

PS....they come from the factory at 12ish yards min...you have to have them redo them down to 10, but good luck with that, 10.6 is best I ever got....11 is normal.....

I have 2 Leupold 45x45’s and I was curious about a lot of conflicting statements concerning the minimum focal point aka minimum parallax adjustment.

I tested both of mine yesterday and they both parallax adjusted / focused down to 12 yards.

These would be considered older models? I’m curious if anyone else who has a 45x45 has a different minimum focus range?
11 yards for me.

Mine sits on the shelf for now.

Because ranging from 40- 55 is problematic for me. Sometimes a target is crystal clear from 42-48 yards...right now I'm taking the average. I click for 45. Others have use rivets, frayed lines to help focus...my old eyes aren't that acute.

Hey Rudy, the Leup Competitions, which were wildly popular 15 years ago amongst FT and Benchrest guys. I myself have a couple Leup 35's around tht go down to 10.6 yards and have the mildot reticle (installed by Leup when they still did it in their custom shop) . They worked well, but had a huge amount of clear when trying to range find. And to be good and repeatable with the Leup, you had to range back and forth quickly and pick the spot that was the clearest. There was no snapping in of focus, thus most people abandoned them over time. Better scopes are out now that work better, have LIT RETICLES, and actually cost less. The Leup was and still is great glass, but coming from the factory with a miniature 1/8 moa dot which my crappy eyes cant see, or a fine azz reticle, is useless. Plus no one these days will put in another reticle. And the fact that its not a lighted reticle throws many off. Theyre great for BR tho.........BC

PS....they come from the factory at 12ish yards min...you have to have them redo them down to 10, but good luck with that, 10.6 is best I ever got....11 is normal.....
Cool information - BR only intention for the one I have left…. Already traded one off.

Reactions: BC
11 yards for me.

Mine sits on the shelf for now.

Because ranging from 40- 55 is problematic for me. Sometimes a target is crystal clear from 42-48 yards...right now I'm taking the average. I click for 45. Others have use rivets, frayed lines to help focus...my old eyes aren't that acute.
I can see 10 yards easily but not with crystal clarity

I can see 10 yards easily but not with crystal clarity
yeah, the problem with it only being 10.6 yds focus at best from what i have ever seen, is that its a guess and just judged at 10 if blurry. thats a big difference on your hold over method between 10 and 11 yds, for a 3/8 kz. thats why theres way better out there today WITH lit reticles and better reticles, thus Leuip has been pushed to the back burner by us FT guys and its just a great BR scope now.........

Reactions: cavedweller