• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Let's see your most obscure target

@crowski , does your range ever thaw? 🥶 Mine only does for about 6 weeks out of the year...maybe two months.

That will surely be a lot of fun! (y)
Ya it thaws for at least 7 months, May to Nov. Hasn’t frozen much this year.
Nice! I'm putting a lot more gongs out now too, to make it lower maintenance.
I shot the gongs today. Mid 40’s temp. over 4 hours. I used to have gongs, no holes and some with holes. I found the ones with holes way more beneficial and organized for max. useage.
81CAE536-2D45-4FCD-B12F-32BCE813CB7F.jpeg
When you go through, you know.
Crow

I found the ones with holes way more beneficial and organized for max. useage.
I'm sure that is true. Like having multiple bulls on the same target.

When you go through, you know.
I was going to ask you about that. If you clear the hole on the first shot, wouldn't you be like..."Did it go in, or did I miss entirely?" It looks like those holes are at least 1/4". I'd be wanting to put a water balloon or something behind it for the gratification. How about a Fire-Bird? That would be perfect!!

Reactions: crowski
I'm sure that is true. Like having multiple bulls on the same target.

I was going to ask you about that. If you clear the hole on the first shot, wouldn't you be like..."Did it go in, or did I miss entirely?" It looks like those holes are at least 1/4". I'd be wanting to put a water balloon or something behind it for the gratification. How about a Fire-Bird? That would be perfect!!
Winter time is no problem. You can see in the snow amazingly through the hole quite often. But you just know it goes through. one plate is 2 ft. Sq. And you’re shooting fairly tight.
This plate I shot this afternoon with HW97 .20, 30 Yds. away. 5 shots each hole. Of 20 shots, 8 clean through. Holes 3/8
F37B505B-7F00-4E37-87A6-CAA024EFAFE5.jpeg
I’m trying to figure out to put some behind to ring. I know pot and frying pan lids are tough and inexpensive. My problem , too damn many. Drilled approximately 300 holes I think the holes are a huge advantage. Another thing I’m shooting springers, quite often you see the shot with a scope. It’s actually really cool when you get a clean shot. Crow

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
they get more skittish of my face glowing from the phone trying to get a good picture rather than any shots or shrapnel
I have been wanting to mention, I have the same "problem". On the spinning target that I posted, there were two deer about 15' away when I took the picture from my shooting bench. Here they are:
20230209_145554_ShowingDeer.jpg

The deer get much more spooked by the impact than my guns, and I consider this a measure of success. I have some gray squirrels that are down-right stupid though. I'll drop a pellet an inch and a half in front of them, and they will just look around. Dummies. They haven't pissed me off yet, so I am still letting them make it cause, TBH, there wouldn't be much sport to it. Shooting cans on a string in 20mph wind is more challenging than those idiots. I digress...

Last edited:
Ya it thaws for at least 7 months, May to Nov. Hasn’t frozen much this year.

I shot the gongs today. Mid 40’s temp. over 4 hours. I used to have gongs, no holes and some with holes. I found the ones with holes way more beneficial and organized for max. useage. View attachment 332335When you go through, you know.
Crow
Now, of course you do go for the corner shorts, right?

Now, of course you do go for the corner shorts, right?
I used to but now I have at least 200 holes to chase. I’ve now used them a several hours. The plate in the picture doesn’t have holes is getting holes. Here’s the differance.
CE741962-80F1-4CD6-90DF-74EE178F22F3.jpeg

All you shoot is spots. Can’t keep track of shots early.
AE74AFEB-A332-44ED-BD31-8ABCF4FDF401.jpeg
Smaller plate more shots, easier to keep track. Crow

I used to but now I have at least 200 holes to chase. I’ve now used them a several hours. The plate in the picture doesn’t have holes is getting holes. Here’s the differance. View attachment 333781
All you shoot is spots. Can’t keep track of shots early. View attachment 333782Smaller plate more shots, easier to keep track. Crow
🤔how are they attached to one another? Hog rings?

parents get upset when I shoot into the park behind me, then I've got close to 300
Too funny! I can picture hot-gluing Styrofoam cups to the top of the swing-set in the dark of night. "Thwap!" "What was that, and is it snowing?" Too funny! 🤣

OMG, that would be even funnier if the cups were full of water. All of the sudden a little stream would just appear... Too funny!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I finally got some new targets to put out at my obscure target to make it more challenging. Here is how they looked after my first "test":
20230301_153816.jpg

I shoot this standing from a door, so here is how the new target looks from that vantage:
20230301_153543_Marked.jpg

So, those are 3", 4", 5", and 6" AR500 teardrops, so this will be a whole lot more challenging now. I did this test with my modded 2240 shooting 15.89gr JSB in about 15mph wind. I missed the 3" teardrop with my first shot at it, and barely got it with the second. That wind was pretty tough.

Happy Shooting!!

Jonathan

Reactions: crowski
Well I ain't got no pictures,sry. My range faces west. I tried it once with my phone. I could barely see the targets 35 yds away in the image. My convenient maximum range is to my fence line 67 yds distance. It has a few trees along it. I take empty cans of like (cat food tins,,the half size 1s) and those 8oz cans of veggies,,tuna-fish cans. I punch a hole in them,run some twine (about 2 feet) thru the hole,tie a washer to it and a weight to the other end. Then slingshot them up into the trees. 10 feet,20 feet,30 feet. Where-ever they end up as they're coming down and get snagged on a branch. I have them hanging on the fence as well of course. The 1s I have hanging low can be tuff to spot too because of the tall grass that laces in & out up thru the wires all along the fence line. My toughest target tho has been this piece of side-walk chalk I got hanging out there,lol. I keep forgetting the area of the bush-tree I hung it. It's about 5ft off the ground on the fence line. Absolutely vertical! I use My PCPs mostly for this distance. (22cal Hatsan Flashpup & 22cal FX Dream Calassic. BUT on occasion (weather permitting) I'll take a few shots with my .177 HW50S with a bit of success.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Winter time is no problem. You can see in the snow amazingly through the hole quite often. But you just know it goes through. one plate is 2 ft. Sq. And you’re shooting fairly tight.
This plate I shot this afternoon with HW97 .20, 30 Yds. away. 5 shots each hole. Of 20 shots, 8 clean through. Holes 3/8View attachment 332392I’m trying to figure out to put some behind to ring. I know pot and frying pan lids are tough and inexpensive. My problem , too damn many. Drilled approximately 300 holes I think the holes are a huge advantage. Another thing I’m shooting springers, quite often you see the shot with a scope. It’s actually really cool when you get a clean shot. Crow
A friend brought some bell targets to a match that were made with 2" slices of 2" x 8" x 0.125" structural steel tube. I went to the local metal supply and they had a 3' long piece for cheap. Had to buy a horizontal bandsaw to cut it but it was worth it. Those ring SO sweet and fairly loud. I also have used old oxygen and CO2 cylinders... cutting them in half and hanging the halves. Here is another one that I made. You shoot through the holes... 1/2" down to 5/16", and it latches the flag. Resets by shooting the upper right disc or pulling the string.
The second one is some of the bells I use for plinking or when I host matches. They look pretty beat up because they're always out to be shot and get shot at by everything from 12 ft lb to 100 ft lb.

20211119_102214.jpg

20211119_102144.jpg

Last edited: