Let's see your hand cannons

I had almost forgotten about this particular combination of Legos.... This is one of about a half dozen different pistol/carbine configurations this kit can be configured for. Not pictured are the 12" and 16" barrels, tube extension, AR buffer tube adapter/stock and a few other odds and ends.

This one has no real use other than being loud, obnoxious, and giving reactive targets a pretty good thump.

kE1DmQy.jpg

Gen 1 Mrod /Brod tube
B&A breech
Prod trigger assembly with raised sear,
Cothran valve,
9" TJ's 1:26 .357 barrel.

Does 3 shots with JSB 81gr 680fps, 615fps, 580fps

Tell us about yours?

Nuthin, "hand cannon" wise in my pellet gun catalog. .177 and .22 is all I have pellet gun wise.

But, I used to have one of these -

1675292186327.png

Sold it and bought one of these. I even made money on the deal. -

1675292287613.png

The Desert Eagle is much more up to handling heavy loads without being hard to the gun, and what's a .44 mag. good for if not for...heavy loads ?
The AutoMag is unique, and kinda fun, but, it's built kind-of light duty. I know of a few that have broken frames. The ring that holds/controls the bolt, gets sheared off.

Mike

Off topic, I have a .45-70 handgun. Absolute riot.

My airguns "hand cannons" are as follows.

Pp800 25 cal with cothran valve, produces 48fpe in 9" barrel, 65fpe in 15" barrel. Runs out of air in 2 shots 🤣 this guns sounds absolutely ridiculous. The report is definitely in the range of "deafening"
PSX_20220917_030943.jpg

20221103_145018.jpg

I have a custom 1322 as well that can produce 27fpe with a 7.6" barrel, but I normally have it turned down to just over half that.

Both of these pistols are exceedingly accurate.

PSX_20230130_222437.jpg

20220314_221737.jpg

Last edited:
No longer own it, but had a .50 Quackenbush for a few years. De-tuned it in order to get a bell-curve power-band. As excerpted from Custom, Classic & Otherwise AWESOME AIR PISTOLS!

181gr Speer .495 balls, 3000 PSI charge, 6 shots recharging every other shot- Low= 567, High= 587, ES= 20, SD= 7, Avg= 579 FPS/135 FP.

DAQ .50 pistol.JPG
As received, this .50 pistol produced 640 FPS on the first shot and 550 FPS on the second. After a re-seal and much de-tuning, it now returns 2 consistent shots per charge.
8/12/2012- With 9X scope and shoulder stock, 5 two-shot groups at 50 yards averaged .95” c-t-c. All 10 shots went into 2.5” c-t-c at 50 yards.
11/20/2015- With 2.5X LER scope, 5 consecutive two-shot groups at 35 yards averaged .61” c-t-c. The smallest group measured .22” c-t-c and the largest measured .90”.
This thing opens some interesting hunting possibilities… that I fully intend to explore.

I did.

I had almost forgotten about this particular combination of Legos.... This is one of about a half dozen different pistol/carbine configurations this kit can be configured for. Not pictured are the 12" and 16" barrels, tube extension, AR buffer tube adapter/stock and a few other odds and ends.

This one has no real use other than being loud, obnoxious, and giving reactive targets a pretty good thump.

kE1DmQy.jpg

Gen 1 Mrod /Brod tube
B&A breech
Prod trigger assembly with raised sear,
Cothran valve,
9" TJ's 1:26 .357 barrel.

Does 3 shots with JSB 81gr 680fps, 615fps, 580fps

Tell us about yours?
Hello @mackeral5

Love it, isn't that is what a hand cannon is used for?

ThomasT

Pp800 25 cal with cothran valve, produces 48fpe in 9" barrel, 65fpe in 15" barrel. Runs out of air in 2 shots 🤣 this guns sounds absolutely ridiculous. The report is definitely in the range of "deafening"
View attachment 328715
View attachment 328724

I have a custom 1322 as well that can produce 27fpe with a 7.6" barrel, but I normally have it turned down to just over half that.

Both of these pistols are exceeding accurate.

View attachment 328716
View attachment 328727
Hello @Long_Gun_Dallas

Photo Number One ..... Cannon ? :LOL:

ThomasT

Seems like I was getting around 17 or 16 fpe from this .22 caliber HiPac conversion for 10 or 9 shots. Still have the parts, but on different combinations -

Not sure why, but I was always able to get more power and a better velocity curve from HiPac conversions over a 22XX pined valve conversion.

Might have just been air capacity?

1675364287711.png

Last edited:
Keep em coming...some of yall are cheating with those powder burners, lol. beautiful guns though!

Here is another configuration of the gun I started the thread with. It becomes a bit more useful in this configuration.

twyidfq.jpg

I used learnings from the GTA community's Simplified Balanced Valve development to modify a stem/poppet for my Cothran that allows for it to be tuned via hammer spring tension and produce a bell curve. Without bogging this thread down with those details, the foundation of this modified stem is 3 things. 1) Change the seal to delrin which is more resilient than the soft nylon Don designed the valve to use. 2) remove the rod from the stem, this causes the valve to close violently, hence changing the sealing material to delrin. 3) enlarging the stem vent. It's a bit more complex than that, but that is the general idea.

This results in a very miserly valve, yielding a very flat shot string that can be moved up or down in energy by dialing in/out HST.

On a 2800psi fill, which is all I have in my tanks right now, it will get 8 shots within 17fps of each other.... Not many unreg'd big bore PCP's will shoot that flat across 1500psi pressure range

uAktBeP.jpg

12" barrel with a bored out Koi. it is extremely quiet for a 60fpe hand cannon

View attachment 328715
View attachment 328724

Both of these pistols are exceedingly accurate.

View attachment 328716
View attachment 328727
Understood on the loud. The gun in my thread uses a very modified Cothran with a .300 valve exhaust. It is LOUD out of the short barrel!

Seems like I was getting around 17 or 16 fpe from this .22 caliber HiPac conversion for 10 or 9 shots. Still have the parts, but on different combinations -

Not sure why, but I was always able to get more power and a better velocity curve from HiPac conversions over a 22XX pined valve conversion.

Might have just been air capacity?

View attachment 328967
2250 tube and Hi-Pac? And correspondingly long barrel. I got the same shot-count from a 2240-length chamber, Hi-Pac and barrel, but at only 11 FP.

Reactions: ThomasT