Diana Let's see your Giss guns.

Pete, Not sure of the dates but a guy name of Kurt Giss came up with a system for diana that had two pistons instead of the standard one piston. One piston does the air moving work forward and the "dummy" piston goes in the opposite direction canceling out the recoil. Mostly 10m guns but they have absolutely no recoil of a springer. There's more to it than that and more knowledgeable people will fill in the blanks but that's the gist of it.
Thanks Muddy, that’s very interesting, I’ve never heard of that type of design before. 👍🏻

Reactions: Bandito
Absolutely love my GISS springers! Diana 6M. The barrel weights are unobtainium so I made one out of brass stock modeled after an original.
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg

Beautiful pieces compressorguy, that looks like it would be a great day of shooting. At the risk of ticking off the purist crowd, has anyone scoped up one? I can't imagine they would be anymore accurate than the peeps but hey, they do have scope rails on them.
1980 RWS branded Diana 75HV with Hawke Sport HD 4-12 X 50

1329.JPG
1330.JPG
1331.JPG
1333.JPG

Beautiful pieces compressorguy, that looks like it would be a great day of shooting. At the risk of ticking off the purist crowd, has anyone scoped up one? I can't imagine they would be anymore accurate than the peeps but hey, they do have scope rails on them.
Really, as you stretch these out a scope would not be better? Having one of these and not scoping it and stretching it out way beyond 10 meters is like having a top fuel dragster and only using it to tow the grandkids around the yard in a little red wagon. Now you can go back to irons if that's your preference but you would never know just how awesome it is able to perform. The secret is not that they shoot better than say a tuned TX or HW97 but how easy it is for you shoot them well. No, and I mean NO recoil impulse. I was shooting one of mine at 25 yards off the bench yesterday it actually almost becomes boring. Besides, if they were meant to be only used with irons the sights would have been welded on, no chance of movement. I am looking forward to 50 yards if the weather ever cooperates.

At not quite 6 FPE there closer distance shooters. While a scope can help poor eyes and allow some precision shooting .... there use is not real practical.
Hmmmm well at 25 yards mine shoot literally in the same hole. That's pretty practical to me. It will be interesting to try at 50yds if the rain ever stops.

I shamelessly ripped off this image of a factory cutaway model 6 pistol from Danny Garvin's fabulous "Vintage Airguns Gallery" site. It shows the workings of the "Giss system Dianas" very well:

0. Breech seal, and transfer port
1. Blue seal on face of front piston
2. Straight rack teeth, on both sides of the bottom half of the front piston
3. Controller cogs, on both sides of the receiver tube
4. Rack teeth on top of rear piston
5. Blue bumper on face of rear piston
6. Rear piston metal spacing shims, and red end cap pad

IMG_7110.jpeg

Note also the gun has doubled mainsprings, one inside the other and wound in opposite directions, to reduce vibration.

(So anyway - how cool would it be to own this thing...!?!? I have a hot flash of envy every time I see this pic...!)

Last edited:
Hmmmm well at 25 yards mine shoot literally in the same hole. That's pretty practical to me. It will be interesting to try at 50yds if the rain ever stops.
It was SCOPE that was not real practical on a >6fpe rifle. Trajectory is so loopy that one would need a D.O.P.E. card to know where to aim as various distances.
If shooting at a fixed distance, adjust POI and shoot away ;)

AND if you find a 6M front sight piece please let me know as somehow it dropped out and hasn't been seen. That or I will have to make one. That may not be pretty as I don't have the specs. It was quite unique.

Bandito, I found the front post I made. It’s an extra now. I sent you a pm. Let me know and I’ll send you this one.
IMG_0705.jpeg

It was SCOPE that was not real practical on a >6fpe rifle. Trajectory is so loopy that one would need a D.O.P.E. card to know where to aim as various distances.
If shooting at a fixed distance, adjust POI and shoot away ;)
Fixed distance/benchrest. No it would not work for field target type games.

I shamelessly ripped off this image of a factory cutaway model 6 pistol from Danny Garvin's fabulous "Vintage Airguns Gallery" site. It shows the workings of the "Giss system Dianas" very well:

0. Breech seal and transfer port
1. Blue seal on face of front piston
2. Straight rack teeth, on both sides of the bottom half of the front piston
3. Controller cogs, on both sides of the receiver tube
4. Rack teeth on top of rear piston
5. Red bumper on face of rear piston

View attachment 456628

How cool would it be to own this thing...!?!? I am half crazed with envy every time I look at this picture! 😳
I don’t want to sound like a know it all, and I hope I don‘t come across as such, but I’m pretty sure that what’s numbered 5 and referenced as the red bumper on the face of the rear piston is mislabeled.

In fact, the rear piston doesn’t project out that far because of the spacer placed at the end of tube that limits the piston’s travel. What we are looking at is the somewhat flexible washer (just behind the preload spacer) that allows the end cap to be screwed in enough that the tiny locking screw will line up.

AND if you find a 6M front sight piece please let me know as somehow it dropped out and hasn't been seen. That or I will have to make one. That may not be pretty as I don't have the specs. It was quite unique.

Bandito, I found the front post I made. It’s an extra now. I sent you a pm. Let me know and I’ll send you this one. View attachment 456649
As an aside, I had a 6M back in the day and it kinda made me crazy. The rear sight is shared with the models 5G and 6G, but the front sight is from the model 10 - which had a significantly lower sight line, married to a completely different rear sight. So the 6M of course shot crazy high if you used a traditional sight picture (i.e., front post aligned at top rear notch).

Compressorguy's taller front post looks downright brilliant, but how do the rest of y'all deal with this?

Last edited:
But Motorhead, how about a 12 fpe with the Giss system for field target. It's a shame, springer technology seems to have stalled.
John Whiscombe's amazing limited-production guns used the original Giss patent system, with pistons moving toward each other. Some of those met or considerably exceeded 12 FPE. IIRC some of them had so much power, that the cocking action required multiple strokes.

More info and pics here:

Last edited: