Diana Let's see your Giss guns.

One of these days...
If you like 10 m guns you better think carefully before you get a Giss gun; once you use the Giss, you will never shoot those others again. I feel sorry for my HW55 and the FWB's, just sitting in the closet by their lonesome selves...:)

If you like 10 m guns you better think carefully before you get a Giss gun; once you use the Giss, you will never shoot those others again. I feel sorry for my HW55 and the FWB's, just sitting in the closet by their lonesome selves...:)
Actually meant posting a pic of a 333 that is buried in a closet. I am out of room and getting to the closet is like.... ahhh not today, but one of these days.

Reactions: Bandito
What he^^ said. I can't see for crap and I'm putting up some ridiculous groups. It can't be me so it must be the rifle.

Here's my super rare model 72 next to a model 34 for scale.

20231105_202857.jpg

20231105_203003.jpg

20231105_202914.jpg

20231105_202906.jpg

20231105_202844.jpg

Love the model 72! A true recoilless match gun for the grade-school set, ha - we will never see its like again. I had a model 70 for a while (recoiling version based on the model 5 pistol instead of the model 6) which was very cool too.

A great detail on those guns was the abilty to mount the rear sight on the scope rail, and nifty clip-on peep attachment. Diana is missing a sure bet not to do that for all their rifles.

Love the model 72! A true recoilless match gun for the grade-school set, ha - we will never see its like again. I had a model 70 for a while (recoiling version based on the model 5 pistol instead of the model 6) which was very cool too.

A great detail on those guns was the abilty to mount the rear sight on the scope rail, and nifty clip-on peep attachment. Diana is missing a sure bet not to do that for all their rifles.
Thanks mike! She sure is a nifty little gun, and with all it's spacers attached, the LOP is long enough to be comfortable for my adult frame.

Pete, Not sure of the dates but a guy name of Kurt Giss came up with a system for diana that had two pistons instead of the standard one piston. One piston does the air moving work forward and the "dummy" piston goes in the opposite direction canceling out the recoil. Mostly 10m guns but they have absolutely no recoil of a springer. There's more to it than that and more knowledgeable people will fill in the blanks but that's the gist of it.

Here's the link for the original Giss patent:

As you can see, it was actually for two pistons moving TOWARD each other, with power taken off in the middle (which is how John Whiscombe's amazing limited-run, high-power rifles work). But the patent also included a description of pistons moving AWAY from each other, which is the approach Diana took as it obviously fit their existing receiver architecture much better.

These guns are absolutely amazing when properly set up. Back in the day Diana ran magazine ads showing a model 65 being fired with a coin balanced on edge sitting on top of it...!

Last edited: