Other Let's see them deer rifles!!!

Just 30 yards or so .. Still not getting pass through so you don't get the "powder burner" pass through blood trails.
That’s a good range at 90 yards carbine still ethical for deer?
I have done several ballistic gel tests at various yardages and power levels with multiple medium weight slugs (125-175 grain) and found that the .357 hollow point will get plenty enough penetration to pass through the hide, a rib, and most of both lungs. This level of penetration would happen within (and far past) what most think of as "ethical" airgun hunting distances on deer.

With big hollow pointed rounds, they definitely expend their energy quickly so two holes are unlikely (just as with some powder burners) and blood trails can be sparse. So if you are looking for good blood trails, I would suggest using a reasonably heavy, super accurate, semi-wadcutter slug that produces two holes in a deer versus using a hollow point slug that turns into a flat ashtray within three inches of penetration and doesn't have enough momentum to penetrate the offside ribs and hide.

Based on my testing, the .357 140 grain solid semi-wadcutter gives a full pass through on two 15" long blocks of ballistics gel (30"+ and bouncing around upon exit) at 10 yards, impacting around 875 fps. This will give you the very best penetration to produce two clean and open holes even at extended ranges on any size whitetail deer.

I have done several ballistic gel tests at various yardages and power levels with multiple medium weight slugs (125-175 grain) and found that the .357 hollow point will get plenty enough penetration to pass through the hide, a rib, and most of both lungs. This level of penetration would happen within (and far past) what most think of as "ethical" airgun hunting distances on deer.

With big hollow pointed rounds, they definitely expend their energy quickly so two holes are unlikely (just as with some powder burners) and blood trails can be sparse. So if you are looking for good blood trails, I would suggest using a reasonably heavy, super accurate, semi-wadcutter slug that produces two holes in a deer versus using a hollow point slug that turns into a flat ashtray within three inches of penetration and doesn't have enough momentum to penetrate the offside ribs and hide.

Based on my testing, the .357 140 grain solid semi-wadcutter gives a full pass through on two 15" long blocks of ballistics gel (30"+ and bouncing around upon exit) at 10 yards, impacting around 875 fps. This will give you the very best penetration to produce two clean and open holes even at extended ranges on any size whitetail deer.
Good info thanks first year hunting deer with air force Texan currently using 365 grain hollow points with a boat tail set up is 4 for 4 this season but I have the long cf and was wanting to see if I can do the same with a shorter gun climbing up trees with something so long can be a challenge at times all shots were double lung shots full pass thru furthest 86 yards

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
IMG_4078.jpeg

Mega Pitbull 8 point.jpg

Mega Pitbull.357 with Pro Slugs 160gr Venom hp at 30 yards.

Last edited:
@mikesxpress A 60 grain slug or is that a typo?
Nice buck is that in Florida and yes same question is that 60 grain a mistake congrats
Pro Slugs makes some nice swaged big bore ammo. None that light, so probably a typo.

@mikesxpress Ok that makes more sense. I was going to have some questions. Nicely done. I like your photo. Can you post it in this thread?

@mikesxpress Ok that makes more sense. I was going to have some questions. Nicely done. I like your photo. Can you post it in this thread?
Yes

View attachment 425846

Mega Pitbull.357 with Pro Slugs 160gr Venom hp at 30 yards.

Anybody have any experience with mister hollow point slugs these pro slugs look good as well