Lets see some long distance...

Oooo 2 shot groups count?🥴🫠

20230626_130028.jpg

NOTE: ALL THIS IS FROM 2011

------
SUMMARY
------
I got about “3 MOA” at 100 yards with my 177 cal. R9. Pics @ bottom.

------
THE LONG STORY
------
My typical shooting range in my backyard is 25 yards. Very seldom I have the chance to shoot at longer ranges. Last week I was out of town and had this opportunity for a couple of days. As an amateur, average airgunner, I had a serious session at 100 yards. I say "serious", because I set the range properly, the targets, the shooting bench, the scope settings, etc. And this was a 2-3 hours session.

This R9 is a current production gun and has a JM kit inside. From all the springers I have tried, this is the most accurate with me behind the trigger. Can shoot 1/3 CTC groups at 25 yards all day long, with ease, turning more like a 1/4 if I concentrate. That is “1 MOA” accuracy. It likes JSB exacts 7.9 gr., and shoots them at 860 fps making about 13 fpe. It is scoped with a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 x 40 EFR.

First I shot at 50 yards. To adjust the scope for that distance, it needed more or less 20 clicks "up". At 50 yards the R9 was not “1 MOA accurate” yards anymore. Groups at 50 yards were about 1 inch CTC, being able to reduce that to slightly less than 0.8 if I concentrated a lot. So, being this a 1 MOA gun at 25 yards, it turned out to be more like a 1.5 MOA gun (or a bit more) at 50 yards.

Then I set the range at 100 yards. Scope adjustment was about 80 clicks "up" with respect to the 50 yards shooting. I estimate the vertical falling of the pellet to be around 3 feet. I shoot in the middle of the night, using small led lamps close to the target. Walking to change the targets seemed endless, and also made me a bit nervous because I was completely alone in the night, in middle of nowhere. The good part of it was that wind was almost absent. I shot 6 groups, 15 shots each, CTC size in inches are as follows:

The conclusion is that, at 100 yards and with me behind the trigger, this R9 might be a 3 MOA gun. Note how group size improved consistently and noticeable target after target. Cool! I feel a regular mark below 3 MOA might be doable for me, with just a little more practice.

Picts. of the targets:

trgt1.JPG

trgt2.JPG

trgt3.JPG

trgt4.JPG

trgt5.JPG

trgt6.JPG

Picts. of the gun:

gn1.JPG

gn2.JPG

Use 2-1/2- 3" pellet tins as bulls and you should pretty much keep them all in. But wind just a slight wiff teally yakes a hold past 50.

Not saying there wonderful. I got thteadd from 50 to 100 most on irons some scoped

Or

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Depends on the day...my burn barrel is 80 yds from my bench. A rusted old 55 gallon drum that shows up pellet hits very well then they rust over in a week or two so you can shoot it some more. If conditions are good, I often shoot some pellets at it, then walk out to see group sizes. Typical would probably be around 1 1\2" dia in dead calm on a good day, simetimes out to 2" mabey even a little more. Sometimes a small puff of wind sends a few fliers outside of that. There have been days that 5 shots in under an inch were made, but not the normal. My TX III has been tuned with the original factory parts a few shims added and spring polished and lubed. 8.4 gn AA domes run at 910 fps plus or minus 5 fps. Like most, there are days I can't miss, then there are days, I just give up and plink at closer targets.

Reactions: drpietrzak
Here is an earlier thread with 100 yards and TX200 as well.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Just to keep this real I thought I would shoot at 100 yards on a poor day. It was windy today. variable 5mph to 10mph mostly from left to right but switching to any direction at any time. Some of the time directly at me, other times from the rear. It was not a great day to shoot.

So I shot an 8 inch plate to see how things would look in the wind. Just using a consistent point of aim for all shots. I let the wind do what it wanted and I shot until I thought I could figure out the general poi.

8 inch plate
8 inch plate.jpg

AA 8.4 (4.52) grain sorted to 8.5 grain.
8_4 sorted.jpg
Same with 2 inch circle imposed in it.
8_4 2in.jpg

AA 10.3 unsorted.
10_4.jpg
Same with 2 inch circle imposted.
10_4 2in.jpg

Zan 10 grain slug (unsorted)
Zan 10 .jpg
Same with a 2 inch circle imposted.
Zan 10 2in.jpg

Groups? I'm really curious what you guys get at 60-75 yds plus....please let me see the target and gun used . This weekend I'm going to try 75 yds with my tx and hw97 for some fun

I get about the same groups at 60-70 as I do at 50-yards. Probably about 1/4" larger. Target attached.

20230623_132024.jpg

View attachment Three Bull 4 Inch.pdf

Reactions: Hateful McNasty