• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lets say you have the option...

If you had to pick 1!!

• Total voters
.22 is really an all-around rock star.

I see the .177 as now being generally obsolete for PCPs in countries without power restrictions.

Just my opinion, and I'm aware that some people will vehemently disagree.

LOL!

.177 obsolete? It is all I use for my backyard pesting and if you look up my profile and success in eliminating tree rats and chipmunks, with high accuracy/precision, then you might need to eat those words.

Accuracy/precision and shot placement is EVERYTHING... if you are serious about killing anything.

Am I a perfect shot. NO. Nobody is, but I strive for that precision, instead of relying on a higher caliber to take care of my lack of perfection.

Aim small, miss small.

I see 177 slugs as the hot ticket right now. I use my Leshiy classic to shoot 10 grain Zans. 13/13 headshots on rats at 75-100 yards. If I need to get further or deal with a bandit, the Wildcat shoots the 13 grain Zans at 1040 and 30fpe. Both are MOA shooters, wind is no problem, they’re super stealthy and the slugs are $16 for 400.

I see 177 slugs as the hot ticket right now. I use my Leshiy classic to shoot 10 grain Zans. 13/13 headshots on rats at 75-100 yards. If I need to get further or deal with a bandit, the Wildcat shoots the 13 grain Zans at 1040 and 30fpe. Both are MOA shooters, wind is no problem, they’re super stealthy and the slugs are $16 for 400.
Well, if you really NEED to shoot a .177 farther than ~50 yards accurately/precisely, then maybe slugs are the way.

Except, most people, like me, use .177 for its intended purpose. 50 yards or less. It is sad that forums like AGN and GTA ONLY seem to focus on the higher power airguns and seem to have lost any love for the reason why most people get into airguns in the first place.

Lower power, safer projectiles (pellets) and lower noise.

I am sure I will be "corrected" if not "canceled" because I tell the truth as I see it.

My best and good shooting to all. (smile)

Well, if you really NEED to shoot a .177 farther than ~50 yards accurately/precisely, then maybe slugs are the way.

Except, most people, like me, use .177 for its intended purpose. 50 yards or less. It is sad that forums like AGN and GTA ONLY seem to focus on the higher power airguns and seem to have lost any love for the reason why most people get into airguns in the first place.

I am sure I will be "corrected" if not "canceled" because I tell the truth as I see it.

I agree with your assessment … Let’s continue with the OPs Poll…

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
LOL!

.177 obsolete? It is all I use for my backyard pesting and if you look up my profile and success in eliminating tree rats and chipmunks, with high accuracy/precision, then you might need to eat those words.

Accuracy/precision and shot placement is EVERYTHING... if you are serious about killing anything.

Am I a perfect shot. NO. Nobody is, but I strive for that precision, instead of relying on a higher caliber to take care of my lack of perfection.

Aim small, miss small.

Obsolete doesn't mean that it no longer works. My dot matrix printer from 1995 is obsolete, but it still prints pages just fine. The 30-06 cartridge is largely obsolete now, but it still kills no doubt tens of thousands of deer every year...but it has still been rendered largely obsolete by more advanced cartridges that are more efficient across the board. And I have a 30-06 in my gun safe and still use it. I have no doubt that you are a highly successful killing machine as you stated, but I won't be eating my words since they are my opinion as I clearly stated. And your hunting precision has nothing to do with it, killer.

Everything the 177 does the 22 does better and more efficiently when it comes to PCPs, and these days the ammo is almost identical in availability and price, so the 177 has lost the one advantage it did have for a long time.

And to repeat the same caveat from my original post: If we're talking sub-12fp then the 177 does still have an advantage and is not obsolete for them.

Obsolete doesn't mean that it no longer works. My dot matrix printer from 1995 is obsolete, but it still prints pages just fine. The 30-06 cartridge is largely obsolete now, but it still kills no doubt tens of thousands of deer every year...but it has still been rendered largely obsolete by more advanced cartridges that are more efficient across the board. And I have a 30-06 in my gun safe and still use it. I have no doubt that you are a highly successful killing machine as you stated, but I won't be eating my words since they are my opinion as I clearly stated. And your hunting precision has nothing to do with it, killer.

Everything the 177 does the 22 does better and more efficiently when it comes to PCPs, and these days the ammo is almost identical in availability and price, so the 177 has lost the one advantage it did have for a long time.

And to repeat the same caveat from my original post: If we're talking sub-12fp then the 177 does still have an advantage and is not obsolete for them.

I disagree with this 100% and it is provable via price alone.

What I espouse is accuracy/precision over caliber. Accuracy/precision is the key. Too many people like to think that the higher caliber .22 is better because they think it gives them more "room" for less accuracy/precision.

Well, accuracy/precision is the whole ball game in my humble opinion.

Although I ONLY shoot .177 because the largest pest I shoot is a tree rat, I also understand that .22 or larger may be needed for larger game/pests.

However, relying on a larger caliber, rather than being accurate/precise, with shots is a truly lame excuse for using a higher caliber.

Essentially, what I am saying is if you can't shoot at least MOA with any caliber, then upping the caliber is YOU trying to excuse YOUR lack of desire to be accurate/precise with your shots.

Nothing personal towards you. Just my general observation of a lot of folks who think they NEED a higher caliber rather than work on being more accurate/precise in their shooting.

Am I a perfect shooter? NO!!! But I work very hard to be as accurate/precise as I can be without ever thinking about going to a higher caliber to compensate for my failings.

JMHO

I’m shooting my Impact using 16gr KOs on 600 mil barrel at 1030fps. That’s 37ftlbs. It’s an explosive little pill. Pigeons and starlings don’t have a chance even when the wind is blowing. Just a deadly combination. However, I am building basically a BSA CLX out of an FX streamline. Going to put a 220cc bottle with a 320mm barrel nestled in a Menelli stock. Planning to tune in that sub 12ftlb range for inside work and inside 40yds outside. Should be a fun little rifle. I’m a 17 diehard fan.

I voted other though. And basically because I have a 25 barrel for the Impact. I’ve shot it, liked it a lot and plan to be shooting slugs with it in NRL22. The streamline was also a 25. Popping out 26gr Hades at 750fps. Love that setup.

I’m shooting my Impact using 16gr KOs on 600 mil barrel at 1030fps. That’s 37ftlbs. It’s an explosive little pill. Pigeons and starlings don’t have a chance even when the wind is blowing. Just a deadly combination. However, I am building basically a BSA CLX out of an FX streamline. Going to put a 220cc bottle with a 320mm barrel nestled in a Menelli stock. Planning to tune in that sub 12ftlb range for inside work and inside 40yds outside. Should be a fun little rifle. I’m a 17 diehard fan.

I voted other though. And basically because I have a 25 barrel for the Impact. I’ve shot it, liked it a lot and plan to be shooting slugs with it in NRL22. The streamline was also a 25. Popping out 26gr Hades at 750fps. Love that setup.
I was talking about .177 pellets at relatively low velocity (~12-14fpe). If you don't have to worry about pass-through and what is on the other side of the target, then go for it.

Then you start talking about calibers higher than .22? Give me a break! LOL!

Did you even read my post? (chuckle)

Good luck and good (accurate/precise and that is EVERYTHING or you need a shotgun) shooting to all! (smile)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Easy Cheif. If you notice I put a space inbetween the 17 comment and the 25 comment. I really wasn’t disagreeing with you or making jabs. Simply explaining that the 17 can be a power house. And added that I’m building a platform for sub 12 excursions. I guess I should have made another post about the 25. Didn’t think you’d have a myocardial infarction over an attempt at conversation. I’ll make a note to keep it simpler for you in the future.

Easy Cheif. If you notice I put a space inbetween the 17 comment and the 25 comment. I really wasn’t disagreeing with you or making jabs. Simply explaining that the 17 can be a power house. And added that I’m building a platform for sub 12 excursions. I guess I should have made another post about the 25. Didn’t think you’d have a myocardial infarction over an attempt at conversation. I’ll make a note to keep it simpler for you in the future.

Please... don't condescend to me.

I won't even take it past that.

I’ve been a committed .25 guy for 6 or so years. But what is being offered in .22 now and modern gun capabilities have definitely closed that gap. My .177’s whether shooting pellets or slugs are my go to guns when there are safety concerns. Given the choice between a 22 and 177 would totally depend on my shooting environment. If I lived where my parents do my Lelya 177 with pellets will handle anything under 5lbs. I could switch it to slugs to safely knock out a groundhog or raccoon. Yes, I found a slug my Lelya shoots. Keeping them in the mag is the problem. Where I live and with what I’ve done with MRD’s and .22 slugs, I could easily live without all four of my .25’s.

I’ve been a committed .25 guy for 6 or so years. But what is being offered in .22 now and modern gun capabilities have definitely closed that gap. My .177’s whether shooting pellets or slugs are my go to guns when there are safety concerns. Given the choice between a 22 and 177 would totally depend on my shooting environment. If I lived where my parents do my Lelya 177 with pellets will handle anything under 5lbs. I could switch it to slugs to safely knock out a groundhog or raccoon. Yes, I found a slug my Lelya shoots. Keeping them in the mag is the problem. Where I live and with what I’ve done with MRD’s and .22 slugs, I could easily live without all four of my .25’s.
I can understand what you are saying. For me, and a lot of people who don't post here, .177 pellets work for the distances for which they are designed.

This "more power" wave that has taken over airguns has left those of us who shoot low power PCP or anything other airgun without much of a voice since the prevailing posts on AGN and GTA are mostly about MORE power.

Well, IMHO, there are a LOT of folks, like me, who don't want or need higher power and slugs are really just a way to reach out farther (with accuracy?) than most of us low power .177/.22 airgun/pesters need.

If I had the opportunity to shoot longer ranges (75+ yards) all the time, I might look into and try slugs, but most of my shooting is within 50 yards. Which is also the range that most people who use airguns shoot at, if not less. I did kill 3 tree rats at ~75-80 yards within the last year, but I had to practice for 3 weeks shooting fallen pears and even blades of grass before I even tried a shot at a tree rat. Haven't had the opportunity to try that shot since or practice it.

Nothing against anyone wanting to shoot farther with accuracy, but airguns, especially .177 and .22 were designed for 50 yards or less. Like it or not.

They can be pushed (pellets) farther than that... but consistent accuracy will suffer.

OK... off of my high horse...

To be honest, I would love to see a separate forum for low powered .177 airguns here... but I know that will never happen because it doesn't SELL the latest high powered airguns.

Good shooting to all! (smile)

There is a reason why pellet shooting at pellet distances at normal pellet speed topics are not the prevailing topics. It’s because there is no drama or anything newsworthy to report. Nobody is getting spun sideways trying to get a 18.1 to shoot accurately at 850-900fps. Big power topics are the result of slugs or heavy inconsistent weighted pellets per caliber that have guys chasing their tails. Not much tail chasing in stacking pellets out to 75 yards land. Hence, it only appears that there is a lack of interest in reality airgun shooting. Guys that are having a ton of fun with no drama just have no reason to be yapping on a forum.

There is a reason why pellet shooting at pellet distances at normal pellet speed topics are not the prevailing topics. It’s because there is no drama or anything newsworthy to report. Nobody is getting spun sideways trying to get a 18.1 to shoot accurately at 850-900fps. Big power topics are the result of slugs or heavy inconsistent weighted pellets per caliber that have guys chasing their tails. Not much tail chasing in stacking pellets out to 75 yards land. Hence, it only appears that there is a lack of interest in reality airgun shooting. Guys that are having a ton of fun with no drama just have no reason to be yapping on a forum.
Well, I won't argue with you about most of what you said, but that doesn't change the fact that MOST airgun users are lower power shooters.

The higher power genre is what marketing is selling. And there are a lot of folks who can use that kind of power,.

However, IMHO, there are a LOT more people who shoot low powered airguns, be they PCP or other.

Anyway, it would be nice if AGN would dedicate a "forum" to those MANY of us who shoot low power and have no interest in higher power airguns.

Well, I can wish... (chuckle)

In any case, there are more low power airgun shooters than those seeking more and more power. They simply don't post much and I think that is probably because, as you said, there is no drama, but also because neither AGN nor GTA has a dedicated forum for US.

Oh well... to each their own. Don't get sold down the river of marketing... (grin)

I was talking about .177 pellets at relatively low velocity (~12-14fpe). If you don't have to worry about pass-through and what is on the other side of the target, then go for it.

Then you start talking about calibers higher than .22? Give me a break! LOL!

Did you even read my post? (chuckle)

Good luck and good (accurate/precise and that is EVERYTHING or you need a shotgun) shooting to all! (smile)
just going to add my two cents.. I'm quite accurate with 22 out to 160 yards and then I totally loose grouping? maybe it's all the the crossman premier, jsb 18 are good for? I've never tried slugs, closest thing to that is the jsb jumbo redesign and they hit hard but only function in two of my 3 guns..turns the blitz into a bolt action??.. so I have a american tactical liberty nova.. it's basically a early avenger but open sights, hatsan blitz and a umarex notos pistol..
now with that information can anyone recommend the slugs that will work? I don't want to buy the wrong diameter and it not fit correctly..
I only shoot open sights..I used to be good with scopes but as I got older I just keep missing with the scope.. must have something to do with needing reading glasses just to see the head of a screw.. and last year I finally figured it out.. which one of the 4 cross hairs do I use?? and no I am not going to hunt with reading glasses.. the game would be laughing at me for falling down to alert them.. those glasses belong beside a book.. where I am not moving.. I am good with a Henry 22 golden boy out to past 1/4 mile on a running target.. however hopefully you all will get a laugh out of this.. tried hunting squirrel with a shotgun and, well let's just say under 50 ft and he can stand up and laugh at me.. and after a box of ammo, 410.. until I say forget it with the shotgun and get him with a pistol or rifle..

Last edited:
just going to add my two cents.. I'm quite accurate with 22 out to 160 yards and then I totally loose grouping? maybe it's all the the crossman premier, jsb 18 are good for? I've never tried slugs, closest thing to that is the jsb jumbo redesign and they hit hard but only function in two of my 3 guns.. so I have a american tactical liberty nova.. it's basically a early avenger but open sights, hatsan blitz and a umarex notos pistol..
now with that information can anyone recommend the slugs that will work? I don't want to buy the wrong diameter and it not fit correctly..
I only shoot open sights..I used to be good with scopes but as I got older I just keep missing with the scope.. must have something to do with needing reading glasses just to see the head of a screw.. and last year I finally figured it out.. which one of the 4 cross hairs do I use?? and no I am not going to hunt with reading glasses.. the game would be laughing at me for falling down to alert them.. those glasses belong beside a book.. where I am not moving.. I am good with a Henry 22 golden boy out to past 1/4 mile on a running target.. however hopefully you all will get a laugh out of this.. tried hunting squirrel with a shotgun and, well let's just say under 50 ft and he can stand up and laugh at me.. and after a box of ammo, 410.. until I say forget it with the shotgun and get him with a pistol or rifle..
Really??? I got a laugh out of reading that! (chuckle)

Have a few .20 they are awesome. To bad they never really caught on.
I don't really have one favorite. However I do like hunting best with a .25
I only have 22 currently, actually didn't know they still made 20.. that Sheridan silver streak was pretty but I never got my hands on one.. shot a lot of 17.. been tempted to get a 30 just in case I need to knock something down that the 22 won't handle.. but I suppose if I needed to, I could do a mag dump on the blitz, and as long as it's under 50 yards I can hit all in a quarter.. like a big coon, or coyote.. but I don't think I would shoot it a lot.. I'd definitely be interested in trying slugs if I just knew what size fits my guns..
suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Mark

Really??? I got a laugh out of reading that! (chuckle)
yes really.. less than 50 ft.. and the squirrel laughing standing up the whole time.. glad no one was watching.. that could be very embarrassing.. whole box of 410 shells and I said that it was only good for a coon in a very short tree not more than a broom stick away.. that I couldn't see at night.. right after attacking my dog..
nope I prefer long range accurate shooting.. love 100+ yards and if anyone can tell me what slugs to get, well I just might be able to get a group past 160..