Lets Protect this Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a lot of talks about gun control in this age, Let keep this non political and we need to come up with something that would protect this sport that we love, I love to hear suggestions and idea as to protect this sports from being attacked by politician that doesn't know anything about airgun and instead of bashing them, let bring some good points for everyone to learn about airgunning. We know that this sports is becoming very popular these days and the popularity of Slugs and digital trigger gun and flexibility of adjustable power rifles, we are also attracting a lot of unwanted attentions.

Though I'm not certain of the legal role they will play, the entity Pro-Air (Professional Airgun Federation) was recently established.

1656562120061.png

Please ensure this thread remains non-political, unlike the replies within the Demolition Ranch thread that forced it to be locked.

Thanks
-Michael

• Haha
Reactions: M0ist0ne
Back when I was skydiving, the United States Parachute Association (USPA) was the body that the government (FAA) recognized and respected to regulate the sport. I don’t remember if drop zones required jumpers to join but it was well run and wrote a lot of un-waiverable rules for the sport.
I’ll have to look into Pro Air Federation.

Evelyn Elvegaard has a lot of irons in the fire...

Yup.

Many big discussion on FB about this 'group'. Wolf in sheep's clothing--hard to be a universally accepted governing body when you're started/ran by FX. "Everyone can participate" a well-known paid spokesperson said...but I don't see AoA or Daystate being 'invited'. Let's be honest, it's FX and those in FX's good graces (with Guy Fieri's $$). This particular 'influencer' stopped trying to push the Pro Air agenda in a group as many of us did not agree with the Pro Air farce.

It's a joke and a shame they are trying to represent themselves as something they are not, especially under the guise of universally good for all airgunners...have some historical comparisons I could make with other groups that share this type of universal agenda in history, but politics aren't allowed 😁

Maybe y'all are more in the know than me. I thought this organization was formed to give more individuals the opportunity to participate in RMAC type competitions around the nation with points earned towards being able to participate in RMAC. This alleviates the registration scramble currently going on for a position.

Do I have the intent incorrect?

If I don't isn't that the same thing AoA is doing with the EFT?

Both of those seem like great goals to me.

Reactions: lloydf
IMO the best way to keep our sport from meddling by the politicians is to do nothing.
Currently, I believe, we are out of sight/out of mind for them.
And although air guns can do damage to people & property when misused, they are not likely to appear in mass shooting scenarios, suicides, and murders.
There is no need to shout 'Hey! Don't look at me"
Let's just stay responsible, and keep quietly enjoying our guns
Ed

Maybe y'all are more in the know than me. I thought this organization was formed to give more individuals the opportunity to participate in RMAC type competitions around the nation with points earned towards being able to participate in RMAC. This alleviates the registration scramble currently going on for a position.

Do I have the intent incorrect?

If I don't isn't that the same thing AoA is doing with the EFT?

Both of those seem like great goals to me.
Fair point. Here's what gets me, This is not a "universal governing body" for all air gunning. This is how it is being represented though by its spokespeople that I have interacted with. I agree that things like EFT and this FX-based ProAir group are good for the sport, but don't lie about what it truly is. Really this should be called the FX Airgun League or something like that.

While yes, this could potentially give access to a handful of shooters to large events, let me pose this - do you think all the paid and sponsored shooters will go through the steps of shooting all the regional/divisional qualifying events to earn a seat for an event like RMAC? I have my doubts.

Further, it doesn't appear there are membership dues or anything of the nature. Why this is important is the money. Where the money comes from for organizations such as this, tends to dictate the direction, wishes, and wants. Since the money isn't coming from the shooters...you can bet that directionally it will bend towards the wishes of the corporation that is backing it.

My thought process is probably all screwed up, but if we want to keep airguns under the radar, one of the easiest ways it to stop contacting the state you live in to let people hunt big game with airguns. The more publicity about the power of airguns, the worse it will get. Right now, most states don't consider and air gun a firearm. Once the Feds step in, game over. Sellers will need an FFL to sell airguns. Stop drawing attention. Manufactures need to stop advertising their guns as capable of taking big game. Sooner or later, the wrong person is going to notice and we're all going to suffer.

I know there is a lot of talks about gun control in this age, Let keep this non political and we need to come up with something that would protect this sport that we love, I love to hear suggestions and idea as to protect this sports from being attacked by politician that doesn't know anything about airgun and instead of bashing them, let bring some good points for everyone to learn about airgunning. We know that this sports is becoming very popular these days and the popularity of Slugs and digital trigger gun and flexibility of adjustable power rifles, we are also attracting a lot of unwanted attentions.
This is an impossibility.

There is one party against the shooting sports and another that isn’t. We in California see it all the time. The oft repeated canard is that “we have no problems with recreational shooters/sportsmen“, but the reality is that we’re the ones who are subject to the ridiculous whims of those making the laws. WE pay all the extra fees. WE are the ones who have to jump through all the extra hoops. WE are subject to all of the foolish restrictions.

So far, we’ve not seen much regulation regarding airguns, but that will change. It’s only a matter of time. And once that happens, everyone on the airgun forums who blithely go about their business and reject politics as undignified or inappropriate will find out just how important politics really are.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, the lack of political involvement in the airgun community, and particularly the airgun forums, is probably one of the most self destructive behaviors I’ve ever seen in any facet of the shooting sports.

"This is an impossibility." is exactly it.

By raising awareness among legislators, we raise the possibilty of greater regulation. None of it to our benefit. How do you deal with a class of people that believes the more money (and obedience) you give them, the better off you'll be?

Until the 'great divorce' occurs, all we can do is relocate to the states that value our personal freedom most.

J~

There is nothing we can do to protect our sport. Enjoy them while we have them because they're going to take them. In the end our system will look far more like the British system or the Canadian system than like the one we have today. That's probably going to take about 5 years maybe 10.

The great news is you'll probably be able to get 500 sub 12 ft lb (semi-auto only) shots out of your new FX by then.

Last edited:
Unless we all follow the rules of fight club, we are eventually doomed in one way or the other. Just shutting down the talking heads on YouTube would help but that’s not happening. Too much money being made by the people who can make the most noise. Like other cool hobbies, because of the sudden popularity, we just have to ride the wave until it crashes into the rocks. Then see or make do with what’s left. It’s just the evolution of a hobby. It’s finally the airguns turn. I speak to nobody locally in any business or social circle about my airguns. I treat it like an embarrassing crack addiction that I don’t want anyone knowing about.

Reactions: oaks1450
"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.
When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out."

Don't fool yourself into thinking if you lay low and be quiet, that they will not come after you.
Compressed air is just another propellent to launch a projectile, nothing more, and as the technology increases, and Airguns get bigger and more powerful and with more shot capacity, they will do the exact thing they have always done.

Legislate more laws to "protect the Children"

Reactions: Smitty911
The biggest issue to avoiding airgun regulations similar to those of firearms is to teach people not to carry them for personal defense.

In large cities with firearms restrictions and high crime.....airguns seem to the go to choice to scare off the bad guys.....as stupid as that sounds.

When the last set or riots across the US (I'm not gonna name the organization) I was selling almost 400 replica pistols a week and I am a small airgun dealer. That is not counting the people that I turned away and discouraged from buying.

The fact is that most high crime cities already have airgun legislation in place...you can own it legally but cannot discharge it within city limits.

Furthermore brandishing even an air pistol is a felony in most places.

IMHO sooner or later there is going to be a very high profile case where someone gets shot by law enforcement and oh boy the politicians are gonna jump all over it.

I know I'm going to get a ton of flack for what I am going to say next.

Realistically if this shooting sport is to be protected then resellers like Amazon, Ebay, and Walmart need to leave the category and let reputable airgun dealers service the customer base. The largest of the marketplaces are really not self regulating when the small guys tend to be a little mor discerning on who they sell to.

Why? I sell quite a few airguns on Ebay........ there is a 92% statistical correlation between scam purchases and high crime cities. The newer ecommerce platforms allow blocking buyers by zipcode.

In the end.....any shooting sport depends on a large degree of personal responsibility....... it doesn't make a difference if it's a real firearm or a slingshot.

HK

Status
Not open for further replies.