• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Let’s here your opinion, I find this maddening

Crow. I would have to believe that Diana was smart enough to go from brittle hard plastic to polymer. The new ones look like polymer to me. I would also prefer steel but polymer has proven itself with the Glock. Seeing the glass half full.
I used to work a job transporting bank bags, and I understand what you are saying about polymer frame guns, my concield carry was a Taurus, just like the baby Glock except for the trigger safety, do I like the gun? no id rather have steel, it's only advantage is weight.. I'd prefer airguns not going down that same road..
Mark
So sad. I haven’t been in this long enough to know that Diana sold. But I’ve got the same plastic on guns I purchased in early 90’s. I‘ve had three guns all with broken safeties. I’ve only ever sold three guns all Diana’s. Crow

You call put me down for that stock as well. Very nice. Who knows, everything goes in circles.
I have a LGU and went down to check out. I know the triggers are plastic, I picked up a Rowan. A few would change the trigger regardless. View attachment 353247They finished their safety off nicely. Never had this gun apart. One of my favorites. Crow

That’s what my eye goes to sadly. Don’t get me wrong, I love the stock on my 54, but the plastic overpowers it. Crow

I suspected they were steel at one time. I’ve never seen one.
‘The guns all shoot accurately and hit harder than the other makes.
As far as the recoilless. Absolutely not, not experienced enough to disassemble yet. This gun fascinates me.
‘What really amazes me is, I also have a Diana K98 .22.View attachment 353250Tell me why Diana would make these cast fittings on a dog of a seller. ( I love mine except for the plastic ). View attachment 353250They cared enough about this 98. Doesn’t make sense.
Mark a trigger can usually be changed with choices for better feel and performance. These parts, I’m talking about are really cosmetic and expensive to change. Crow

I only have a few older rifles. You can certainly tell the difference in workmanship. Crow
AGR
so the Diana rifles I had would be about 35 years ago.. they didn't yet make the 54..
Mark

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
So sad. I haven’t been in this long enough to know that Diana sold. But I’ve got the same plastic on guns I purchased in early 90’s. I‘ve had three guns all with broken safeties. I’ve only ever sold three guns all Diana’s. Crow

You call put me down for that stock as well. Very nice. Who knows, everything goes in circles.
I have a LGU and went down to check out. I know the triggers are plastic, I picked up a Rowan. A few would change the trigger regardless. View attachment 353247They finished their safety off nicely. Never had this gun apart. One of my favorites. Crow

That’s what my eye goes to sadly. Don’t get me wrong, I love the stock on my 54, but the plastic overpowers it. Crow

I suspected they were steel at one time. I’ve never seen one.
‘The guns all shoot accurately and hit harder than the other makes.
As far as the recoilless. Absolutely not, not experienced enough to disassemble yet. This gun fascinates me.
‘What really amazes me is, I also have a Diana K98 .22.View attachment 353250Tell me why Diana would make these cast fittings on a dog of a seller. ( I love mine except for the plastic ). View attachment 353250They cared enough about this 98. Doesn’t make sense.
Mark a trigger can usually be changed with choices for better feel and performance. These parts, I’m talking about are really cosmetic and expensive to change. Crow

I only have a few older rifles. You can certainly tell the difference in workmanship. Crow
Crow
I guess I probably stated my question about the recoilless part wrong, I think what I was trying to ask is not about what makes it work, but does it work good? is it a improvement or just something else?
Mark

I used to work a job transporting bank bags, and I understand what you are saying about polymer frame guns, my concield carry was a Taurus, just like the baby Glock except for the trigger safety, do I like the gun? no id rather have steel, it's only advantage is weight.. I'd prefer airguns not going down that same road..
Mark

AGR
so the Diana rifles I had would be about 35 years ago.. they didn't yet make the 54..
Mark
Me also. The last plastic gun I own is on consignment at a local gun shop. Steel or nothing.

Crow, I would keep an eye out for older guns for sale that have the steel parts.
Moog great idea, problem is, they just aren’t available in Canada as readily as the US. I’ve dehydrated from drooling seeing what you have on the used market. I know of a few sites now so who knows. Crow
I've got 2 D34's. The older one was built in 2002 and both the rear sight and endcap/safety are plastic.
Bit newer one built 2005/2006 is a custom built by Diana D34K Premium .20. Still has that plastic rear cap/safety, but the rear open sights are all metal, maybe because it was a custom build??
Don't have one newer than that to compare build quality but already seen mention that ones older than my 2002 had plastic in/on them.
I just put a Vortek spring in the 24, huge difference. From 420 fps vs. 605 fps.
‘The 460 was my last rifle. 20 rounds broken spring, so new Vortek spring and piston seal. Very accurate and pounds. The breach barrel is steel 3rd pic. I think it was from the 90’s ? It looks awesome.
A month before that I scooped a 34 premium. Again 80’s?. I believe it was tuned down. Smooth and very accurate. I’m impressed.
‘I have a K98 .22 left the iron sights on. I liked the fact Mouser is on it. I’m leathal with this up to 30 yds. Hits like a freight train. Cool gun Super heavy. Got the plastic. But the straps that hold the barrel to the stock is cast. I like this gun.
‘The 54 pro is beautiful until you see the plastic. IMO. If the breach and safety were steel it would be my favorite rifle. Honestly my biggest disappointment. And they once were metal, the safeties.
‘Now I really like the sound of your 34 .20.
Crow

Crow
I guess I probably stated my question about the recoilless part wrong, I think what I was trying to ask is not about what makes it work, but does it work good? is it a improvement or just something else?
Mark
One word. Yes. Recently got a 56T/H. Different stock, shroud, and muzzle weight but mechanically the same gun as the 54. Amazed by it so far. Several articles on here and GTA by Nitrocrushr about both platforms. They’ll answer your questions.

Reactions: markhooper
Diana is still more than a step up from Gamo and Crosman quality. HW isn't even close to either. Yes their bluing is a little light but the actual build quality is leaps and bounds above all 3 (once you factor out the shoddy lube jobs they've been doing lately....)

Regardless, your average HW runs somewhere around $500, not $1000 like your Air Arms or even the FWB Sport. There is going to be a few cuts in quality but at least they're still putting out guns that will outshoot everything else on the market. I feel like thats what matters. They build a great gun at a reasonable price.

And before anyone decides to lean in with the "don't be a fan boy" bs, this isn't fan boy. This is just a reasonable expectations for something that's $500. You aren't getting perfection for that money in todays economy.

Edit: Weihrauch could step up their game with their barrel/lockup tolerances. The droop has been pretty ridiculous in the last few I've seen.
I’m not really familiar with Gamo or Crosman but know their not going to hold a candle to the HW’s.
My 54 was my most expensive rifle dollar wise that I own. That’s my issue. Pay for plastic. I hurl especially when someone said they had a metal safety. I don’t think I the only one that feels this way.
Plastic parts are the main reason that I favor older airguns. It always degrades and eventually breaks.

I'm surprised that no one has stepped up with cast or machined replacements.

J~
I wish I had access to them. Crow
I guess i'm in the minority , I have 6 diana 34s, 2 in .22 the rest in .177. Two of them are the to1 trigger with the metal safety, two are the t05 trigger and two are the t06 trigger. The to6 triggers are steel the rest plastic. They all shoot better than i can. I've had numerous 48/52 and 54s, great performance just to heavy for my needs. I've had all the big brands, AA , Hw, Fwb and while all were great shooters, at the time for the money i could get 3 dianas for the price of 1 of those.
Fit and finish on the high end are much better than the diana but i wasn't after looks. That and in 10 minutes i can have a 34 taken down to the bare bones to work on it. I prefer the t05 trigger out of the bunch and my main hunting rig is outfitted with a custom aluminum adjustable trigger that i picked up years ago. Would i own a higher end springer these days? Absolutely, if my budget allows.
I have 5 Diana’s and there’s another one I’m to pickup. Don’t remember the model.
And I like the triggers, as well their power.
I like the guns. I just think a company that’s been around as long as them, they should know better. Crow
About $$$ molded vs.formed....I do not like plastic either, nowadays plastic is even on professional tools, called high-impact plastic. oops polymer(n)
I bought this hammer a few years ago at Lee Valley, paid $80. for plastic or nylon or polymar. I knew it up front and an awesome hammer. Crow. Plastic doesn’t belong on a gun.
‘I’m pretty sure Henry is eliminating all their plastic parts on their rifles. My buddy told me?

IMG_5513.jpeg

I’m not really familiar with Gamo or Crosman but know their not going to hold a candle to the HW’s.
My 54 was my most expensive rifle dollar wise that I own. That’s my issue. Pay for plastic. I hurl especially when someone said they had a metal safety. I don’t think I the only one that feels this way.

I wish I had access to them. Crow

I have 5 Diana’s and there’s another one I’m to pickup. Don’t remember the model.
And I like the triggers, as well their power.
I like the guns. I just think a company that’s been around as long as them, they should know better. Crow

I bought this hammer a few years ago at Lee Valley, paid $80. for plastic or nylon or polymar. I knew it up front and an awesome hammer. Crow. Plastic doesn’t belong on a gun.
‘I’m pretty sure Henry is eliminating all their plastic parts on their rifles. My buddy told me?

View attachment 353460
No I completely agree that plastic shouldn't be on any gun that is supposed to be considered high end and it especially shouldn't be used on any parts that you frequently use like a safety. I have 4 Dianas myself but only one of the safeties broke though. That was on my 430L and it was 100% user error that easily could have been avoided had I not been rushing to put the gun back together.

I've read a lot of complaints about the FWB Sport trigger guard being plastic. For the price they were asking for the gun it absolutely should have been metal. It really doesn't mother me too much given how well made the rest of the gun is. Quite honestly even with that little bit of plastic I would take it over any of my other break barrels with the exception of probably my LGV which, ironically enough, also had a plastic trigger.

I'm 35 so plastic has been heavily used in things for a most of my life. Thats probably part of the reason why it doesn't bother me as much as some people. I'm simply used to it at this point. Shoot, I remember people bragging about plastic because it doesn't rust like thats some sort of an upgrade 😂

I to don't like the idea of plastic being used on airguns any more than anyone else. I'm yet to have any issues because of it though, could happen. My first hw95 had the dreaded shoe issue and it peeled steel off the tube. A nice hw 50 i had was galling the tube with the arm and had to put a piece of plastic between the arm and the tube.
And i've heard of other stories with high end guns having issues, it happens. I got them straightened out and they were good performers.
It's a shame we buy aftermarket tune kits and put another 100-200$ in brand new guns before they even get used much to tame the shot cycle, but we do it. I've got a vortek kit in the mailbox as we speak, lol. so imma be busy tinkering today. I like em all.

Reactions: crowski
I to don't like the idea of plastic being used on airguns any more than anyone else. I'm yet to have any issues because of it though, could happen. My first hw95 had the dreaded shoe issue and it peeled steel off the tube. A nice hw 50 i had was galling the tube with the arm and had to put a piece of plastic between the arm and the tube.
And i've heard of other stories with high end guns having issues, it happens. I got them straightened out and they were good performers.
It's a shame we buy aftermarket tune kits and put another 100-200$ in brand new guns before they even get used much to tame the shot cycle, but we do it. I've got a vortek kit in the mailbox as we speak, lol. so imma be busy tinkering today. I like em all.
Yeah, I'm lucky since I actually enjoy tuning my guns as much as shooting them:).
Hence, all guns - HW's, RAW's ...... whatever get taken completely apart so they shoot exactly as I like them. Deburring receiver tubes, cocking shoes and re-working plastic cocking arm inserts are just ones of many things to make optimal.
Also, since I own a lathe, making top-hats and spring guides alleviates the need for expensive tune kits.
Just buy ARH or Vortek springs for $20-$30 and that's it.

That said, I do put (plastic) Delrin muzzle brakes on all my Springers ... they look good, don't change POI and can be removed to re-attach Iron sights if needed. At a cost of $5, it's a no brainer ..........
IMG_0708.JPG

One word. Yes. Recently got a 56T/H. Different stock, shroud, and muzzle weight but mechanically the same gun as the 54. Amazed by it so far. Several articles on here and GTA by Nitrocrushr about both platforms. They’ll answer your questions.
I'm not really good at finding things, still learning how to get around the site.. love that I can ask other airgun users and hopefully we all can share what we know, I just find it helps doing something wrong and learn from others experiences.. can you please tell me how to find the article by GTA and nitrocrushr.. thanks for everyone chiming in on all the different guns and ammo tried..
Mark

just my thoughts on the plastic to prevent galling.. I do think there's places for plastic, like spring guides, things to just prevent constant metal rubbing.. they are usually nylon or another type of plastic to prevent wear.. nothing that has a lot of pressure.. it's just sometimes nylon is a better choice than say oillite brass, although I find oillite usually better if there's pressure.. you definitely don't want similar metal rubbing together. but other things like safety and triggers I think should be metal.. guess I am on the fence with trigger guards, since they don't have any pressure on them.. but typically plastic is a disposable part..
Mark

Yeah, I'm lucky since I actually enjoy tuning my guns as much as shooting them:).
Hence, all guns - HW's, RAW's ...... whatever get taken completely apart so they shoot exactly as I like them. Deburring receiver tubes, cocking shoes and re-working plastic cocking arm inserts are just ones of many things to make optimal.
Also, since I own a lathe, making top-hats and spring guides alleviates the need for expensive tune kits.

That said, I do put (plastic) Delrin muzzle brakes on all my Springers ... they look good, don't change POI and can be removed to re-attach Iron sights if needed. At a cost of $5, it's a no brainer ..........View attachment 353583
wanting to shorten the length of my umarex notos, just wondering if you know what kind of tooling I need to cut dovetail for the front sight, or the dovetail at the end of the shroud.. I have both lathe and mill but I don't have any experience with dovetail.. I am very familiar with cutting keyways and surfacing, but I don't think I have seen any tooling for dovetail.. thanks
Mark

@SpiralGroove, ya see, I've shown this to my wife as i'm pushing to get a lathe. She keeps saying she doesn't want to have to scrape my fingers off the wall,,lol. There are so many things i could do, and if a finger or two get dinged up in the process, it's a chance i'm willing to take.
Got my first lathe a year ago. Still have all my digits but fighting the urge to stick my hands into the spinny bits was definitely something that had to be overcome at first. It really is a great tool to have though. Just making my own guides I've saved over $500 vs buying pre-made kits. Another year I'll basically be even. If this thing ever goes south though I'll definitely be jumping up quite a few sizes.

Reactions: crowski
No I completely agree that plastic shouldn't be on any gun that is supposed to be considered high end and it especially shouldn't be used on any parts that you frequently use like a safety. I have 4 Dianas myself but only one of the safeties broke though. That was on my 430L and it was 100% user error that easily could have been avoided had I not been rushing to put the gun back together.

I've read a lot of complaints about the FWB Sport trigger guard being plastic. For the price they were asking for the gun it absolutely should have been metal. It really doesn't mother me too much given how well made the rest of the gun is. Quite honestly even with that little bit of plastic I would take it over any of my other break barrels with the exception of probably my LGV which, ironically enough, also had a plastic trigger.

I'm 35 so plastic has been heavily used in things for a most of my life. Thats probably part of the reason why it doesn't bother me as much as some people. I'm simply used to it at this point. Shoot, I remember people bragging about plastic because it doesn't rust like thats some sort of an upgrade 😂
A trigger guard can be changed with options. And a plastic trigger I can live with as in my LGU. . But when I look down the scope or sights, the plastic safety is right in my eye sight. And when I’m loading I see plastic at the breech. I don’t like that, especially when they had it done right in the first place. Crow
In the last 4 months I tuned 14 rifles. Only one had a broken spring. The others never needed to be done all year old. Optional. But what a difference.
‘There’s always remote issues with all makes, unfortunately. Crow
If you can find someone with a kiln nearby, making a mold and forming one from aluminum, steel (or aluminium) shouldn't be that difficult. Kilns are rather easy to build and not expensive. They have one in the welding shop at the tech school here.

J~
I like you enthusiasm. Crow

That said, I do put (plastic) Delrin muzzle brakes on all my Springers ... they look good, don't change POI and can be removed to re-attach Iron sights if needed. At a cost of $5, it's a no brainer ..........View attachment 353583I’m with you on the tuning. I’ve just started tuning myself and really enjoy it. I’m trying to talk myself out of a lathe. I can see it happening. There’s a place for Delrin or plastic IMO it’s not on the rifles exterior. Like the sounds of the muzzle brakes.
Love the rays in your stock. Crow

@SpiralGroove, ya see, I've shown this to my wife as i'm pushing to get a lathe. She keeps saying she doesn't want to have to scrape my fingers off the wall,,lol. There are so many things i could do, and if a finger or two get dinged up in the process, it's a chance i'm willing to take.
Funny my wife doesn’t think I need one either. I have nowhere to put it, that’s my problem. Handy to have. I’m selling some of my wood shop to make more room for the guns. Never thought would happen. Crow
Got my first lathe a year ago. Still have all my digits but fighting the urge to stick my hands into the spinny bits was definitely something that had to be overcome at first. It really is a great tool to have though. Just making my own guides I've saved over $500 vs buying pre-made kits. Another year I'll basically be even. If this thing ever goes south though I'll definitely be jumping up quite a few sizes.
Another 5 min. I’m going to ask to to stop talking. Crow

Reactions: muddydogz
Funny my wife doesn’t think I need one either. I have nowhere to put it, that’s my problem. Handy to have. I’m selling some of my wood shop to make more room for the guns. Never thought would happen. Crow

Another 5 min. I’m going to ask to to stop talking. Crow
Its so much fun using it too :)

Reactions: muddydogz
The only mishap I've had is leaving the chuck key in the chuck .... and turning on the lathe without thinking.

-> Nothing like a chuck key in the chest(n).

Used a lathe in Junior High/High School and never really viewed it as dangerous - just don't do anything stupid.

However, if you have long hair - keep it tied up or you could be scalpedo_O.

I think the metal lathe is the most "cost saving/useful" tool you can own besides a screwdrivers, plyers and a hammers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sqwirl57
I'm not really good at finding things, still learning how to get around the site.. love that I can ask other airgun users and hopefully we all can share what we know, I just find it helps doing something wrong and learn from others experiences.. can you please tell me how to find the article by GTA and nitrocrushr.. thanks for everyone chiming in on all the different guns and ammo tried..
Mark
Link below. And in that article there are links to his write up on the 56TH. He and Hector really helped me start understanding this platform.