Let’s here your opinion, I find this maddening

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
22 yrs ago I had 3 Diana’s 24. .177 about 410 fps. Is not the fps a problem because I didn’t have a licence to own a gun over 500 fps. Two of the 3 guns the safety housing cracked.
2004 I had to get a gun license, the Government wanted my dad’s guns.
I went to a gun shop and bought a Diana 34 classic .177. Same safety I was bummed out when I saw it and it cracked. I gave a 24 away, traded one for 12 pitas. 😜 and sold the 34 classic, disappointed with plastic breach and safety.
When the 54 Pro came out, had to have a red lam. Took a month to get here and pricey. When I opened the box, it’s probably the longest I ever balled my eyes out. The same plastic parts as the classic.
Now I have a few Weihrauch’s Air Arms and FWB. Don’t recall plastic parts on any of them.
It doesn’t end there. The few months back I pick up two used rifles a Diana 34 premium .177 and a 460 rsw .177. Both these rifles have a different barrel breach. I would take either one on the 54.
The 34 premium is very accurate with a good punch. JSB 10.34 impressed with this one.
Here’s the 54. Plastic
IMG_5495.jpeg
Here’s the 34, steel
IMG_5496.jpeg
Here’s the 460, steel
IMG_5497.jpeg

I’d have more of their rifles if it wasn’t for this.
IMG_5493.jpeg
And I have to mention the safety. Joke IMO.
IMG_5486.jpeg
I like my guns with no plastic, I find it’s cheesy. The guns are all deadly accurate and hard hitters.
But why can they make a breach for two guns ( both different )from steel and not for others? Crow
What do you guys think?

Sadly seems to be the way of any number of gun makers anymore. Cut a corner here, toss a few plastic bits in over there and still want the same or more dollars than they did for the all steel versions.
Diana was sold not long ago and although from the 34 and up supposed to still be made in Germany, but I've always wondered if any of the parts might come from the Chinese factory now making their lesser rifles.

Well Crow, have never owned Diana's ... but like the Walther LGV and FWB Sport, they come with plastic parts which betrays their build quality.
After owning a few Hatsan's (yes-plastic), I purchased a HW35E in 2016 and proceeded to sell every other Springer because of HW's build quality - especially the HW35E, HW80S, HW77 and HW97.

Beautiful Machines.

I just wish they'ed somehow introduce the great Goudy stock used by Beeman circa 1980's->early 21st century.

Beeman R1.JPG

22 yrs ago I had 3 Diana’s 24. .177 about 410 fps. Is not the fps a problem because I didn’t have a licence to own a gun over 500 fps. Two of the 3 guns the safety housing cracked.
2004 I had to get a gun license, the Government wanted my dad’s guns.
I went to a gun shop and bought a Diana 34 classic .177. Same safety I was bummed out when I saw it and it cracked. I gave a 24 away, traded one for 12 pitas. 😜 and sold the 34 classic, disappointed with plastic breach and safety.
When the 54 Pro came out, had to have a red lam. Took a month to get here and pricey. When I opened the box, it’s probably the longest I ever balled my eyes out. The same plastic parts as the classic.
Now I have a few Weihrauch’s Air Arms and FWB. Don’t recall plastic parts on any of them.
It doesn’t end there. The few months back I pick up two used rifles a Diana 34 premium .177 and a 460 rsw .177. Both these rifles have a different barrel breach. I would take either one on the 54.
The 34 premium is very accurate with a good punch. JSB 10.34 impressed with this one.
Here’s the 54. Plastic
View attachment 353213Here’s the 34, steel
View attachment 353210Here’s the 460, steelView attachment 353208
I’d have more of their rifles if it wasn’t for this.View attachment 353216And I have to mention the safety. Joke IMO.View attachment 353217I like my guns with no plastic, I find it’s cheesy. The guns are all deadly accurate and hard hitters.
But why can they make a breach for two guns ( both different )from steel and not for others? Crow
What do you guys think?
many years ago I had a rws Diana 34.. steel safety and end cap. in 177.. was a decent gun.. next I had a rws Diana 48, 22 side lever and it was steel and a great shooter.. course we are talking about over 35 years ago..
from what I have read the 52 is , well the 48 then upgrade to somehow recoilless? and now I seem to think that the 54 replaced the 52 but with the fancy stock.. how does it shoot ? and can you tell me about the recoilless part and how it works?
yes I hate so much plastic on everything.. seems like everything has to be ruined with plastic.. I absolutely hate the plastic triggers on some.. feel the flex and wonder if it will fire or break..
Mark

Reactions: crowski
Sadly seems to be the way of any number of gun makers anymore. Cut a corner here, toss a few plastic bits in over there and still want the same or more dollars than they did for the all steel versions.
Diana was sold not long ago and although from the 34 and up supposed to still be made in Germany, but I've always wondered if any of the parts might come from the Chinese factory now making their lesser rifles.
yes mine were all made in Germany.. probably before Chinese junk parts or possibly the whole thing in China.. and I hear you about made somewhere out of Chinese junk parts.. I have even been seeing this in made in the USA and with the flag too.. but some Chinese junk parts too.. sad that we as a country are not smarter than that.. I actually do have some quality machine tools made in China but you really have to be picky.. I always say that they send us junk and keep the good stuff because some is so bad they would be replacing tools in the factory more often than selling products..
and bottom line is.. it's completely our own fault.. if we were not so quick to get the cheapest ones and only bought quality.. that's what they would send..
Mark

Diana is now lower end quality. A step up from crossman and GAMO but not that far.. Hw isn’t far behind with their new poor bluing and laser printed writing. Air Arms is holding fast with top tier builds.. both original Venom copied designs .. Webley only made two guns worth comparing them to. Tommy/Longbow… Also Venom influenced..

Last edited:
many years ago I had a rws Diana 34.. steel safety and end cap. in 177.. was a decent gun.. next I had a rws Diana 48, 22 side lever and it was steel and a great shooter.. course we are talking about over 35 years ago..
from what I have read the 52 is , well the 48 then upgrade to somehow recoilless? and now I seem to think that the 54 replaced the 52 but with the fancy stock.. how does it shoot ? and can you tell me about the recoilless part and how it works?
yes I hate so much plastic on everything.. seems like everything has to be ruined with plastic.. I absolutely hate the plastic triggers on some.. feel the flex and wonder if it will fire or break..
Mark
The 52 is the 48 with a nicer stock. Only the 54 and 56 are semi-recoiless. Much like their competitors in the spring rifle category Diana does not innovate anymore, just alters the looks a little bit every few years. The last thing they did was gas piston and the attempt to make the 34 EMS a Lego gun.

Once a firm becomes too corporate like you can forget about continued evolution, they stop being risk takers and always go for the easiest profit or margin.

-Marty

I‘d love to have the little curly metal safeties back but don’t think it’s going to happen. Crow, the plastic piece you show on the 54 is there for a reason. The matte black you see in front of it isn’t actually your barrel. It’s a shroud that actually has a thin metal sleeve inside. All that fits down inside the plastic housing you showed. It was designed that way to address harmonics with the D48. The little metal tabs are there to keep debris out. Even if you go to a CF shroud the plastic housing stays. Part of the system. As far as 48/52, the 52 actually has a longer stock. LOP about 1” longer than the 48.

Reactions: markhooper
So sad. I haven’t been in this long enough to know that Diana sold. But I’ve got the same plastic on guns I purchased in early 90’s. I‘ve had three guns all with broken safeties. I’ve only ever sold three guns all Diana’s. Crow
Well Crow, have never owned Diana's ... but like the Walther LGV and FWB Sport, they come with plastic parts which betrays their build quality.
After owning a few Hatsan's (yes-plastic), I purchased a HW35E in 2016 and proceeded to sell every other Springer because of HW's build quality - especially the HW35E, HW80S, HW77 and HW97.

Beautiful Machines.

I just wish they'ed somehow introduce the great Goudy stock used by Beeman circa 1980's->early 21st century.

View attachment 353227
You call put me down for that stock as well. Very nice. Who knows, everything goes in circles.
I have a LGU and went down to check out. I know the triggers are plastic, I picked up a Rowan. A few would change the trigger regardless.
IMG_5498.jpeg
They finished their safety off nicely. Never had this gun apart. One of my favorites. Crow
This a not the first time I've heard about those plastic Diana safeties breaking. You would think the company would have addressed those issues by now.
I feel the same way you do. I don't like plastic on nice guns. Are any after market replacement parts available?
That’s what my eye goes to sadly. Don’t get me wrong, I love the stock on my 54, but the plastic overpowers it. Crow
Mark
Mark
I suspected they were steel at one time. I’ve never seen one.
‘The guns all shoot accurately and hit harder than the other makes.
As far as the recoilless. Absolutely not, not experienced enough to disassemble yet. This gun fascinates me.
‘What really amazes me is, I also have a Diana K98 .22.
IMG_5500.jpeg
Tell me why Diana would make these cast fittings on a dog of a seller. ( I love mine except for the plastic ).
IMG_5500.jpeg
They cared enough about this 98. Doesn’t make sense.
Mark a trigger can usually be changed with choices for better feel and performance. These parts, I’m talking about are really cosmetic and expensive to change. Crow
Diana is now lower end quality. A step up from crossman and GAMO but not that far.. Hw isn’t far behind with their new poor bluing and laser printed writing. Air Arms is holding fast with top tier builds.. both original Venom copied designs .. Webley only made two guns worth comparing them to. Tommy/Longbow… Also Venom influenced..
I only have a few older rifles. You can certainly tell the difference in workmanship. Crow

Reactions: markhooper
I've got 2 D34's. The older one was built in 2002 and both the rear sight and endcap/safety are plastic.
Bit newer one built 2005/2006 is a custom built by Diana D34K Premium .20. Still has that plastic rear cap/safety, but the rear open sights are all metal, maybe because it was a custom build??
Don't have one newer than that to compare build quality but already seen mention that ones older than my 2002 had plastic in/on them.

Diana is still more than a step up from Gamo and Crosman quality. HW isn't even close to either. Yes their bluing is a little light but the actual build quality is leaps and bounds above all 3 (once you factor out the shoddy lube jobs they've been doing lately....)

Regardless, your average HW runs somewhere around $500, not $1000 like your Air Arms or even the FWB Sport. There is going to be a few cuts in quality but at least they're still putting out guns that will outshoot everything else on the market. I feel like thats what matters. They build a great gun at a reasonable price.

And before anyone decides to lean in with the "don't be a fan boy" bs, this isn't fan boy. This is just a reasonable expectations for something that's $500. You aren't getting perfection for that money in todays economy.

Edit: Weihrauch could step up their game with their barrel/lockup tolerances. The droop has been pretty ridiculous in the last few I've seen.

Last edited:
I guess i'm in the minority , I have 6 diana 34s, 2 in .22 the rest in .177. Two of them are the to1 trigger with the metal safety, two are the t05 trigger and two are the t06 trigger. The to6 triggers are steel the rest plastic. They all shoot better than i can. I've had numerous 48/52 and 54s, great performance just to heavy for my needs. I've had all the big brands, AA , Hw, Fwb and while all were great shooters, at the time for the money i could get 3 dianas for the price of 1 of those.
Fit and finish on the high end are much better than the diana but i wasn't after looks. That and in 10 minutes i can have a 34 taken down to the bare bones to work on it. I prefer the t05 trigger out of the bunch and my main hunting rig is outfitted with a custom aluminum adjustable trigger that i picked up years ago. Would i own a higher end springer these days? Absolutely, if my budget allows.