• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Let's hear your squirrel stories !!

A couple years back while working in our avocado grove, I spied red fruit movement on a pomegranate tree? Sensing opportunity as there was no wind , I curiously grabbed my trusty ole Prod from the field cart. And what should I see through it's 3x12 bug buster glass? But two squirrels, one trying to dislodge an almost ripe pomegranate by swinging on it while the other waited patiently. Suddenly the oddest thing happened, that patiently waiting squirrel jumped on his buddy's mid section - hind quarters. Adding weight to their endeavor, also giving me the perfect once in a life time two for one sale. :cool:

A couple years back while working in our avocado grove, I spied red fruit movement on a pomegranate tree? Sensing opportunity as there was no wind , I curiously grabbed my trusty ole Prod from the field cart. And what should I see through it's 3x12 bug buster glass? But two squirrels, one trying to dislodge an almost ripe pomegranate by swinging on it while the other waited patiently. Suddenly the oddest thing happened, that patiently waiting squirrel jumped on his buddy's mid section - hind quarters. Adding weight to their endeavor, also giving me the perfect once in a life time two for one sale. :cool:
That's a great story. I have never had the chance for a twofer. Good shooting

Doc

Im sneaking into my Neighbor's
DSCF3035 - Copy.JPG
house to get somen to eat ill talk to ya later"

Reactions: Doc C.
THE SQUIRREL SKIN CAP

Back when I was around 15 years young, I heard rumors of a pond and walnut grove that was thick with red squirrels. Big Reds are my favorite
squirrels to hunt. I like them because they stay put and try to hide from you on the other side of the tree trunk. So, having another hunter is always better so one can stand still while the other circles around.

I convinced my younger brother to come with as a spotter and basically squirrel driver. I grabbed my Benjamen pumper and some pellets and we were off.
We found the pond and grove in question and sure enough there were big reds all over the place.
The third squirrel we went after ran up a large walnut and hid on the far side. I pumped up the pellet rifle a few extra times because he was way up there and sent little brother around the other side.
Perfect. As he eased around, the red scooted to my side and I made a good head shot. It was about then that it all came apart.

The big red jumped away from the trunk and started literally soaring towards the ground. Little brother had already turned away to find the next victim.
From my vantage point, I could see what was going to happen in my minds eye. I remember being torn if I wanted this to happen or not.

Sure enough the soaring squirrel landed squarely on my brothers head, and he took off like a shot. He confided in me years later, that he thought a mountain
lion had leapt on him from above. This sent me into hysterical laughter which has not forgiven me for yet.

I can still see him running for all he was worth as that red squirrel did a pretty good impression of Danial Boone's coon skin cap. In his blind terror my
brother ran headlong into a medium sized oak and was knocked to the ground dislodging the squirrel skin cap and one tooth.

We often remanence about that fateful day and have wondered exactly when the squirrel expired. Was it my excellent marksmanship skills or
the blunt force trauma of the oak tree?

It shall, I suppose, remain one of life's little mysteries.

Doc