N/A Let's divide PCP world..... For our benefit.

We have confirmed that there are MANY PCP rifles that are able to make fantastic groups at 100 yards, with pellets and slugs.

But after 120 yards, the rifles that are capable of making tight groups are not so many.

After 150 yards a real good combination of rifle and projectile is needed in order to achieve enough accuracy to deal with "real world" conditions and keep the groups tight.

I am of the idea that a new section of this forum should be created in order that we can go directly to learn about how others have reached really good accuracy farther away 150 yard and up to .... 250..... 300 ??

Clearly are two different disciplines, let's talk about them as different worlds.

• Wow
Reactions: MrP and Firewalker
While we are at it, maybe the Traditional Airgun sub forum should/could include pcp airguns used in traditional airgun situations/ranges?

A sub forum for airguns used at over 150 yards? Really? That is picking fly specs out of pepper.

EDIT: To be fair, one could say any of our airgun discussions could be considered the same, so no disrespect intended to the op -

Last edited:
How does a pellet know what rifle it came out of once it is away? Does it ask itself at 100 yards, oh, I came out of a cheap air rifle from China, do I need to go all wonky now? What physical change occurs to the pellet from the barrel of a FX Impact vs a Benjamin Marauder or a Avenger that makes that pellet able to fly differently beyond 100 yards but not at less than 100 yards, or 50 yards or whatever?

I guess I really don’t know the difference. Seems a lot of guns can go well beyond 100 that are nothing overly special. I know to each their own but I don’t have hardly any expectations much beyond 100. There are just better tools to do that job. However I remember seeing a video of Justin from utah air taking prairie dogs way way out there with a basic 30 cal dreamline at 840 fps with pellets. Not sure what more to expect from an air rifle.

Longer distances are challenging but doable. One of my groups on the picture below could be improved vertically by weighing and lubing my slugs which I didn't do for this group. I did install a huma regulator since then to minimize the pressure variations from shot-to-shot to help the vertical spread. The left and right deviation from the wind....well not many options for that except maybe a heavier slug. In spite of the scatter in the 9 shots, there would have been 6 dead prairie dogs (or 6 holes in a soda can).
Fx Impact .30 - 44.5 gr. FX hybrids - 1070 FPS

30 Impact 300 yds.jpg

I believe that the key to accuracy at any range is shooting the right projectile from the right barrel at the correct velocity. Assuming it is tunable, that can be achieved with about any PCP out there, although it might require a different barrel. But a competent smith can fit the right barrel to the rifle. Actually, assembling the right hardware is the easy part. If you talk to the right people and then build or buy a capable rifle, then you're ready to start. But to be good at long distance requires a serious commitment to do the work. When it comes to hobbies, I like to be a little bit lazy and still have a good time. I know from my previous BR experience, that pretty much excludes long distance shooting. As Ansel Adams said of photography, "the most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it".

While we're making new subforums, I want one that is just for the guys sitting on the John scrolling through the AGN. All we can talk about there is airguns and toilets. Maybe a sub-subforum there on toilet paper.

Proposed names:

Toilet Thoughts
John's Holdover
Big Bores and Toilets
Projectiles...in the toilet
Shi**errest
Potty Pellets
Tanks, Pumps, Commodes

• Haha
Reactions: Caliber 22
For shooting at any decent range... after matching a projectile to a given bore and achieving consistent velocity, I usually find there are two other big variables to sort out... Wind and the nut behind the trigger 😁
I was just about to reply the same, just worded a little differently, butI like yours better, so, I agree.

Reactions: Just Zack 2
While we're making new subforums, I want one that is just for the guys sitting on the John scrolling through the AGN. All we can talk about there is airguns and toilets. Maybe a sub-subforum there on toilet paper.

Proposed names:

Toilet Thoughts
John's Holdover
Big Bores and Toilets
Projectiles...in the toilet
Shi**errest
Potty Pellets
Tanks, Pumps, Commodes
Great idea!
This will be my first reply once the new "Shooting the........." gets opened.
ShootingTheS**.jpg

If you want to make a new "forum" or "sub-forum", I would really like to see one dedicated to .177 airguns divided into PCP, springers and pumpers.

Of course that will never happen because the folks with the money are all into the big bores and that wouldn't make money here.

Although there are more people shooting .177 than all other calibers with the possible exception of .22

Nope, I can't prove it. However, the folks who can afford the upper end guns are not genrerally shooting/buying .177 and those folks are not the majority regardless of what you read on AGN or GTA. 99% of what you read on these 2 forums is HIGH end guns and .25 or larger bores.

Does that mean those are what the majority of people are shooting? No, it just means that is what the marketing is driving.

Most of the folks who shoot airguns are still using .177, even if most of them are using cheap gas piston break barrel guns from Walmart.

Although I don't use a cheap break barrel anymore, all I do shoot is .177 and there is very little dedicated to that caliber on AGN.

JMHO

Dang... just looked at the clock... time for bed to TRY to sleep. (heavy sigh)

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
Reactions: rcarlisle