N/A Let there be light

Crow, maybe she won’t notice the lights. 2 summers ago I put an 8’ tall by 4’ wide and 2’ deep lockable cabinet in the garage to keep my most used rifles closer to reach rather than running down to the basement every time I wanted to switch up. It took my wife 5 months to notice it was there.
Sean, you don’t know my wife. She looks harmless. I wouldn’t fight her pissed off, even if I had a knife in each hand.
‘Put one of these in. I can take 6 guns up or down safely, no dings. Use it more for my guns than anything. Crow
IMG_7191.jpeg

I belong to a club that has had 200yd night bench matches for years, powder burners. Only the targets need light. Have 4 benches to shoot from inside the club through windows, that fold up. Mirage at night over snow can be interesting. You have a nice set up, enjoy it.
Thanks. It’s really cool shooting with snow on ground, all lite up. But surrounding area, black, really* erie. I’ll post a pic when the snow falls. Crow

Reactions: cjtamu
Looking good Crow. A suggestion.
I shoot a bit at night and came to the conclusion that light at the target is the way to go. I little light at you table to see what your doing and a light close-ish to the target but off to the side shining directly on the target.
Had even thought about a pellet trap incorporating lights maybe behind a plastic screen to protect them.
Some ambient light is good incase something wonders onto your range.
I found the more intense the light at the target the easier it is to see back through the scope.
Cheers Michael

Reactions: crowski
Looking good Crow. A suggestion.
I shoot a bit at night and came to the conclusion that light at the target is the way to go. I little light at you table to see what your doing and a light close-ish to the target but off to the side shining directly on the target.
Had even thought about a pellet trap incorporating lights maybe behind a plastic screen to protect them.
Some ambient light is good incase something wonders onto your range.
I found the more intense the light at the target the easier it is to see back through the scope.
Cheers Michael
Thanks. I value your input. I’ve played around with different lite sources as well. And have had light close to targets I buried some wire very close for gate which I could get power. Hmmm. Now that would be sweet.
I did have the lites last year and what I really liked with them back is the skirts of the pellets reflect light, easy to watch looping. Crow
Crow,
What is your longest distance ?
The longest I can reach from my porch is 47 yds. If I move my stuff I can shoot any distance. Crow

Crow,
OK I realize you already bought some lights but like someone already mentioned, if your light does not illuminate your target you can use a coyote hunting light. I have one made by Wicked Lights. It lights well beyond 50yds. It could be mounted on the ground near the target or on your rifle. They aren’t particularly cheap. I have one and it is totally impressive.

Reactions: crowski
I also have an LED light , but right now it lights too large an area, i am trying to shield it down to just the target . do not want or need a flood type light .
They’re not cheap, but check out the Fenix TK30 LEP flashlight. Very tight beam with tons of throw.

Crow,
OK I realize you already bought some lights but like someone already mentioned, if your light does not illuminate your target you can use a coyote hunting light. I have one made by Wicked Lights. It lights well beyond 50yds. It could be mounted on the ground near the target or on your rifle. They aren’t particularly cheap. I have one and it is totally impressive.

Oh ya, I’ve used these last year on the tripod. Had to keep dragging it out plus extension cord. They work fantastic. As a mater of fact they have two powers. I have them on low, so much reflection. Crow
They’re not cheap, but check out the Fenix TK30 LEP flashlight. Very tight beam with tons of throw.

I have a flash lite with an insane beam. I like the whole area lit up.

With the reflection from the snow, the lites turns nite to day. Crow

Thanks. I found a picture taken last year, looks like fall.
IMG_3523.jpeg
The same lights I put under eave. With snow it will be much brighter. I’ll paint the targets with primer to darken.
I tried solar but tried to stretch it too far.
IMG_1175.jpeg
Early range. Ironically I bought a dozen solar lites this morning.
“Small world, wouldn’t want to paint it.“. may put a few on the47 yd. range if this light doesn’t reach. Crow

Reactions: Frogy
I also have an LED light , but right now it lights too large an area, i am trying to shield it down to just the target . do not want or need a flood type light .
Happy Thanksgiving beerthief!
I have some small rechargeable flash lights that either spread the light for a room or with a twist of the dial focus into a small beam. They are very bright and Iight the thirty yard target for my night shoots.

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HPL Rail Mount Light that I swear it can illuminate a newspaper a half mile away. It has a narrow beam and is intensely bright. I’m pretty certain if you look right into it within a hundred feet you will have permanent vision problems.
If I had the room and was allowed to shoot in my city I would use an external DC power supply to run it. The batteries (2of them) last 1.5 hours. They aren’t the cheapest batteries. Specs say it goes 490 meters which is .3 miles, but it sure seems farther. Very light weight.

Thanks It’s my legs that get cold. I bought a heated vest which I’m returning. Looking for heated pants, I think that might work. Crow

Your on. Crow
I sit on a heating pad and put one of those electric dish heaters facing me when I shoot at night along with bundling up. Might try that if you haven’t already

also I use those cheap moving blankets from Harbor Freight to cover the table. I let them hang long over the sides and it creates a ”tent” that helps hold some of the heat in from the heater.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving beerthief!
I have some small rechargeable flash lights that either spread the light for a room or with a twist of the dial focus into a small beam. They are very bright and Iight the thirty yard target for my night shoots.

View attachment 409669
View attachment 409670
Happy TD to you also , have a few flashlights like yours , but have to walk on the slant ridge /wet leaves so trying to use shields to limit where light is or is not .

You are a
I sit on a heating pad and put one of those electric dish heaters facing me when I shoot at night along with bundling up. Might try that if you haven’t already

also I use those cheap moving blankets from Harbor Freight to cover the table. I let them hang long over the sides and it creates a ”tent” that helps hold some of the heat in from the heater.
You are a genius! I really like the idea of tent table. I spin on my table because my range is wide. That will work. I have the moving blankets. Thanks for the great idea and so simple to do. Crow

How about Infrared heater?
I’m on a stable table, my range is only 47 yds. and about the same wide. So I spin on the table to hit my marks. Any wind easily attacks my knees with Carhartt insulated pants on. This can happen quick 15-20 min. I’ve ordered electric pants and just got electric vest, I’m stoked. Greenarrow’s idea is icing on the cake.
‘I know a lot never want this cold environment. With fabrics and products to combat the cold, we can still shoot. And besides the snow, ice and slush make wicked targets. I can’t take temps. over 90F. I don’t have air conditioning.
‘When you get 43 days of 100 F. temps., Try dressing for that. Actually that’s scary. Crow
I’ll mention this again. I had a house fire in 2004. Not for this reason but my agent brought to my attention.
If you have a house fire and the cause is a plug in heater. You DON’T have insurance.