Lessons Learned Installing Huma Regulator in FX Wildcat MKII

Lesson #7 - Making That Hammer Spring Nut Stay Put

OK… I worked through the earlier problems. After checking that my barrel's transfer port was still correctly aligned (it wasn't and somehow had rotated a bit while doing #1 through #6 exercises,) I set off to try and tune this Huma enhanced Wildcat.

Unlike many other Wildcat owners have reported, my hammer spring nut was not difficult to break free of the Loctite thread glue. In fact, the Loctite applied at the FX factory was not even sufficient to keep the nut from turning with the slightest pressure from an allan key.

I had the Huma installed and set to 129 BAR. Trying to test various hammer nut positions over the chrony was very frustrating. With each shot that loosie-goosey hammer nut would turn a bit counter-clockwise. I'd have to move it back into position with every shot.

Well, I ordered one of those jam nuts that seemed like a good idea. It installed easily and did a fine job of keeping that hammer nut from moving. The problem was, each time I tried a different hammer nut setting, I had to remove that jam nut. 

Unlike that stated by the maker of the jam nut, my March 2020 vintage Wildcat's hammer nut required a 4mm allan key, not a 5mm allan key (see photo.) This meant I could only insert the allan into the also 4mm jam nut opening so far before it might also engage the hammer nut. 

The jam nut is very thin (I guess so it doesn't take up much space in the threaded chamber and limit the adjust-ability of the hammer nut.) Long story short… given the constant removal of the nut, the softness of the brass, my over tightening, and not being able to deeply insert the allan, I rounded the opening. I had to jam a screwdriver into the jam nut and thankfully was finally successful in removing it.

I called FX support about the hammer nut looseness and was told I could put a few drops of blue Loctite along the edge of the hammer nut once it was in final position (see photo.) So I painfully tuned the Wildcat, careful to reposition the hammer nut back to its testing position as it turned slightly after each shot.

After getting an acceptable tune, I then dropped blue Loctite around the edge of the properly positioned nut. This proved to keep the nut in position (500 shots with zero movement) and could be easily removed should I want to again move the hammer nut (which I have done several times.)

When I want to move the hammer nut I simply rotate it clockwise. Because the Loctite is not really touching the threads of the nut itself, the nut breaks free from the surface tension of the Loctite sitting on its face. A few back-and-forth rotations and the Loctite peels off the chamber threads and all is again loosie-goosey.

I guess this works so well because during firing the hammer nut will only back out (counterclockwise.) It will never rotate in against the spring tension. The blue Loctite forms kind of a "dam" and surface glue against the nut face and the chamber threads.

If you feel the need for a little more secure bond, just wiggle the hammer nut back-and-forth a little after dropping on the Loctite. This will spread a little of the blue Loctite to first nut thread or two without cementing all the threads in place.

WildcatJamNut.1599491189.jpg

20200906_114146.1599491210.jpg

Lesson #8 - Listen to Bigragu and Make Your Mark

I took the advice bigragu gave earlier in this topic. What a help it was to make some pencil marks on the Wildcat's air tube where the clamps are. With these pencil marks you can put the rifle back together and not worry about anything not being properly alignmed. 

Now, with the alignment pencil marks, correct tools, and experience I can disassemble, remove Huma regulator, adjust Huma regulator, re-install Huma regulator, and reassemble the Wildcat in about 10 minutes. Even better, everything fits together perfectly with no complications encountered.

RealignMarks.1599530898.jpg

I forgot to include earlier a photo of the bolts I got from Home Depot for removing the Huma regulator for adjustments. These are almost long enough that they reach the end of the air tube once screwed into the installed regulator's center hole. I'd have gotten longer ones, but saw nothing in stock greater than 60mm.

A package of two bolts cost about $0.70. These were very handy to have.

20200727_182444.1599578983.jpg

GS, you can use the bolt to remove the reg like I used to, and I ordered long nose locking forceps as an aid for this, but then Chuckster showed me a better way, and that is to first remove the Huma spacer, then prop the back end of the air tube onto a thick @$$ pillow. Put your fill probe into the gun, crack the bleed screw on your tank and slowly open the tanks valve. Your reg will come popping out onto the pillow. If you crack your bleed screw too much, with the air still on slowly close the bleed screw and the reg will pop out. 

Nothing wrong with using the 3mm bolt. As of late, I found out all new stock wildcat Huma regs are now 4mm at that threaded hole in the bottom, and finding threaded rod in 4mm is easier from your local Ace hardware than 3mm threaded rod.

The reason I highly recommend the anti seize on those clamp bolts, is I know you’ve heard them “pop” during the tightening procedure, especially the rear bolts. One day, especially if you’ve been in and out of that as much as you have, your Allen tool will slip and round off the Allen bolt socket, or worse yet, snap off half the head like mine did. It’s the nature of the beast with bolts seizing up. The anti sieze will prevent that from happening for sure.

That pencil mark on the clamp bolts I showed you? I do that to the scope also, especially on scopes mounted on heavy recoiling springers and firearms. If accuracy ever goes to crap, that’s the first place I look. If the scope has moved away from the rings the pencil mark will show it.

Good idea on using air pressure to push regulator out of air tube. However, on the newer Wildcat MKIIs and MKIIIs that have the AMP regulator, FX drilled a hole in the tube. They did this so you can "externally" adjust the AMP regulator. The air pressure would only push the regulator an inch or two before the hole would be exposed and air diverted out of the tube.

FX seems to frequently and constantly change things on their guns. I sometimes watch instructional videos that are no very old and see many differences between my gun and the one on the video. Hard to keep up on all the changes.

If you’re using the Huma power plenum and the holes are wide open after the plenum is pulled out, as the air from your tank is on, just cover the holes with your fingers. The reg will pop out.

If your reg is within those two holes, trust me, when you crack that valve open, open it a bit more and that reg will pop out. I’ve done it many times with both amp reg air tubes and non amp reg air tubes. 

Just make sure the padding to catch your reg is thick like a layered towel and not something bouncy like a couch pad.

Lesson #9 - Lower Pressure = Increased Velocity! WTF????????

I'm a rookie at this tuning stuff. However, I like to learn and have been reading and watching videos on the subject. This whole process of tuning can be very counter-intuitive and a bit confusing. However, I plow on and things are starting to come together.

My Huma Regulator came from the manufacturer set at 130 BAR. My new FX Wildcat MKII .22 came from the factory with OEM AMP regulator set at about 125 or 130 BAR. So... I'm thinking it's a pretty good bet that when I install the Huma, I should leave it at 130 BAR (I was adventurous and turned it down to 129 BAR!) 

Well, the chrony tests were not impressive at 129 BAR. I got to thinking... since my new FX Impact MKII Compact came set at 95 BAR and was outperforming the Huma enhansed Wildcat, maybe I should try a lower reg setting on the Wildcat. After all, it now had that much larger plenum/ spacer thing and the Impact also features a larger plenum thing.

So... I tried and tested 125 BAR, then 120 BAR then 115 BAR, then 110 BAR (boy did I get good at tearing apart that Wildcat.) Hammer spring nut was pretty much left alone as I tested these various reg settings. I'll let the table below (129 BAR and 110 BAR results only) speak for itself.

WildcatHumaChart.1599599064.jpg
AMAZING!

I still have more tuning (fooling around) to do before I'll be satisfied. I'll let you know what happens as I tweek the hammer spring and regulator.

Since you are using the standard spacer with the reg, you should get the short Ernest Rowe air tube extension from 910airguntuning.com. $40 investment to increase your plenum space even further. Ernest has a YouTube video of the install. It’s mounted in place of the rear end cap, and the end cap mounts on the other end

0DEECD6E-127E-4CA3-BA19-F0ED7A38E627.1599599541.jpeg
F75E71D8-6098-42E0-8967-489C4624C9E8.1599599542.jpeg

he does offer a longer tube, one that’s equal in length to two of the short ones doubled up, but it’s been sold out for awhile.

Lastly, if your wildcat is a compact model, and you have a moderator that sticks out in diameter wide enough to get in front of the air tube, that short extension and for sure the long extension will cause your air tube to collide into your moderator. DonnyFL makes a barrel shroud extension that will fix this. If you are using a Huggett snipe moderator then you won’t have any collision, so you don’t need that DonnyFL piece.

Thanks Bigragu. Pretty cool idea and I watched the videos on your recommendation. That would be a great buy and I'd likely do it if I was still running the OEM FX/ AMP regulator.

Judging by the difference in FX and Huma spacer lengths, the Huma alone already increased my plenum space by something like 300% or 400% without any increase in the rifles overall length (and no or very little loss of high pressure air storage space.) If I start adding external regulator, then shroud extensions, my FX Wildcat MKII Compact will no longer be "compact."

is it really worth the time installing the extended plenum ?

my WC mk2 .30 700mm slug-A barrel, has the huma reg installed and i get close to 90fpe with nicks 47.2gr slugs

i only get about 10-12 shots, but its a hunting gun and i'm happy with that.

i have the plenum, i would need to send it off to get installed due to my eyesight.

thanks👍

gendoc,

I'm thinking that if you have the Huma regulator installed in your Wildcat MKII you already have the extra plenum space. I bought nothing extra, just the Huma regulator designed to replace the AMP regulator in the 2019 and later WIldcat MKIIs.

If your Wildcat has the hole FX drilled into the side of your air tube (for access to turn the AMP reg adjustment screw) you have to now have the extra Huma plenum space. Huma had to make the spacer much longer than before so their little regulator is pushed farther back in the air tube so it covers that hole FX drilled in it. Otherwise, all the air would leak out as fast as you could fill it.

I'm guessing the objective was not for Huma to create the extra plenum space, but to seal up that hole. The plenum space is just a big, fat bonus!

And yes that extra plenum space is proving to be incredibly beneficial from my novice testing. I'm again tearing into my Wildcat to again turn the pressure down on my Huma regulator. I'm setting it to 105 BAR.

I saw a huge gain in performance turning the Huma down from 129 BAR to 110 BAR. I think lowering it again to 105 BAR will either improve again or stay the same. What a big improvement in shot count there is running your reg at 110 or 105 BAR rather than 130 BAR!

Grandspud..The physics of things dictates that higher reg settings can create higher speeds but only in balanced setting witth your hammer . In case you do not touch the hammer it can happen that lower reg setting provides higher speed but that is only the case if your balance between parameters is set more adequate in that setting. As soon as you adjust at higher re settings the speed potential is higher at higher reg settings.

Thanks ladwict,

I'm starting to get the idea. When the reg is at a high pressure it is harder for the hammer to make the valve move. So in my case here, the hammer setting (which was not changed during this exercise) was not sufficient to open the valve much at 129 BAR but was able to whack it open pretty good when reg was lowered to 110 BAR. I guess I could have increased hammer spring instead of lowering reg pressure to get to some other balance point and higher velocity, but I want to have really good shot count.

The velocities I accidentally stumbled upon for different pellets at 110 BAR (16g=930fps, 18g=864fps, 21g=817fps) are just about perfect for my needs. I think I now need to do two things

1. Continue to lower regulator pressure to 105 BAR and see if the velocity drops. If it does, move it back up a bit.
  2. Once I'm OK with the reg pressure I can back off tension on the hammer spring until the velocity drops. Once that happens I can slightly tweek it to where the gun is shooting just below the maximum so I'm not wasting air.
    [/LIST=1]

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know what happens.

Update on Tuning 

I tore into the Wildcat for the 10th time and lowered the Huma regulator to 105 BAR. It took me under a leisurely 10 minutes.

The only thing I have been changing during these tests is the regulator pressure. I have not touched the hammer spring tension. I started at 129 BAR, then 125 BAR, then 120 BAR, then 115 BAR, then 110 BAR, and now 105 BAR.

I've updated the chart with the 105 BAR chrony results. The JSB 18g pellets shined the most with another increase in velocity and much better ES and SD! The JSB Hades performed about the same as 110 BAR and the H&N Barracuda Match lost 20 fps but tightened SD just a tad.

Given I like these numbers, I think I'm going to leave the Huma at 105 BAR and move on to fiddling with the hammer spring.

16 shot strings

105BAR.1599702754.jpg

is it really worth the time installing the extended plenum ?

my WC mk2 .30 700mm slug-A barrel, has the huma reg installed and i get close to 90fpe with nicks 47.2gr slugs

i only get about 10-12 shots, but its a hunting gun and i'm happy with that.

i have the plenum, i would need to send it off to get installed due to my eyesight.

thanks
1f44d.svg

Gendoc- are you inquiring about you having the Huma internal plenum on hand or one of Ernest Rowe’s external plenums that you thread onto the air tube?

either one, will make a difference, and is worth the time.

Lesson # 10 - It Feels Fulfilling When You Get It Right!

I shot more test strings and everything is so stable and efficient on the Wildcat that I declared "mission accomplished." I'm really pleased how the Huma regulator is performing. Below are a few final notes and observations.

• The Wildcat is now shooting pellets at higher velocities with the Huma regulator set 24 BAR lower than the AMP regulator was set.
  • The Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation for the four pellets tested tightened up significantly (see table)
  • I'm getting about 2 1/2 magazines (20 shots) more per 230 BAR fill and I shoot down all the way to 105 BAR before the Wildcat drops off the Huma regulator.
  • The point of impacts (at 25 yards) for the 4 pellets in the table are almost identical. The Hades, Polymags and JSB 18g need no scope adjustment to keep them in 1/4" or less. The H&N Barracuda Match 21.14g hit about 1/4" low and 1/4" left of the others.
  • The 4 pellets tested are extremely accurate. If any shot leaves a 14mm circle I consider it a miss.

Thanks for following along guys! Get yourself a Huma, and avoid the stupid stuff I did!

ChronoFinal.1600037774.jpg

GS- go and have a frothy beer to celebrate your efforts! 👍👊👌

And yes, for sure stay away from that Ernest Rowe extension as it’ll give you another hike in power and allow you to run even at a lower reg pressure, and start the tuning all over again! 

But you should stick with your plan of keeping the gun compact! Don’t listen to any of this! Bigragu just shut up!

(just thought I’d plant a seed, to keep you wondering at nights, ha ha! Remember, curiosity killed the cat!)