Lessons Learned from the Rocky Mountain Airgun Challenge​: Get a Grip!

Gear tweaks that could take your shooting to the next level.

1560485277_2443607295d031d9dda5fc2.77618796_study.jpg

So that is me in the orange jacket observing the competition and boy was I taking mental notes! I tried not to get too caught up on specific gear shooters were using but instead I watched more for nuanced shooting technique from shooters who I knew were going to be in the finals in each discipline.

One thing I did notice though on the gear side of the equation was some well known shooters going with oversized or zero degree grips on their rifles.

1560485245_10001019745d031d7dc985a4.42896137_IMG_3675.jpg

This little nugget of intel makes total sense though as I saw it first hand in action during the Speed Challenge. As I watched the hand movements of the top competitors - it was down right surgical. Pivoting the rifle in their hands engaging near to far targets - good magazine changes - cycling through each shot with a SUPER high level of dexterity and a few other goodies of technique that caught my attention. 

So I noticed quite a few were using ERGO GRIPS​ and had recently seen they have started focusing some of their products on the airgunning world and airguns that can use AR style grips. The cool thing was ERGO was a sponsor of RMAC and they had all their newest gear there on display to demo.

So if you want to win competitions: monkey see - monkey do - right? I picked up 3 grips that I think are going to make me a better shooter even if it is by a small margin.

The grip on the far left is the ERGO TACTICAL DELUXE GRIP – SUREGRIP®. This is one I have seen some of the most successful shooters use and this will be the one I try first on my FX Impact. The larger size with palm swells felt VERY stable when shouldering a rifle with it installed.

The grip in the middle in this photo is the ERGO AIR GUN – TDX-0™: TACTICAL DELUXE ZERO ANGLE SUREGRIP®. The zero degree angle is something you are seeing in the powder burner world of long range shooting and it makes sense for it to trickle over to our side of the shooting sports. I will be trying this one out for sure on the FX Impact as well.

I even picked up their Elite Series of Camo - Arctic Grip for my modded Airforce Airguns Talon Trooper rifle too! That white camo pattern is going to look SICK on that gun! If you want to use these grips on your AirForce Airguns - pick up a Air Guns by TalonTunes​ Wokguard that allows for AR grips to be used on the Airforce platform. So check out their grips here - https://www.ergogrips.net/product-category/gun-parts/ar-15/grips-ar-15/

0 degree grips are a definite plus for precision shooting. Anarchy outdoors makes one of the most comfortable 0 degree grips out there. It's wide so that your trigger finger falls right where it should on the trigger shoe and it's also got a thumb shelf on the side if you don't like to wrap your thumb around the grip. My grip in the picture is for a lefty so it's on the other side. It's the most comfortable grip I've ever used and I've used about every kind out there on my AR's. Ergo grips are indeed great too, Anarchy is just another choice.
Stoti

1560487829_9116441615d03279532a263.48365155_IMG-1690 (3).JPG

Hey UpNorth. Sorry about my post. I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. It kind of looks that way when I just read the post. I’m sorry! I was just pointing out another option that I like very much. Not many people know of Anarchy Outdoors and their products or more people would be using them. I just wanted to make people aware of another great choice. The owner also said if AGN members use the code “friends” he would give them a discount. That was a while ago but still should work. Stoti

Hey UpNorth. Sorry about my post. I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. It kind of looks that way when I just read the post. I’m sorry! I was just pointing out another option that I like very much. Not many people know of Anarchy Outdoors and their products or more people would be using them. I just wanted to make people aware of another great choice. The owner also said if AGN members use the code “friends” he would give them a discount. That was a while ago but still should work. Stoti

No worries at all man! That grip looks SICK! Thanks for sharing!

another dimension to the grip issue..... is your grip on the grip.....

3 or 4 years ago, gearing up for a FT match, I noticed I was squeezing the grip so hard the gun was tilting. SO what IVe learned to do is settle into my firing position with the gun, get lined up on the target and let go of the grip, then grip it again. Now the gun and my hand line up in a more "natural postiion" wiht much of the hand tension out of it. Think of it as a micro-process for getting a natural point of aim, but just for your hand on the gun.....

Yes, find the correct grip to use, then learn how to use it.

Hi Guys:

Looking for some enlightenment here. What are the advantages of a "zero degree grip?

Regards

José Palma

It is a feel thing. It feels better to me. My hand is in a more comfortable position. I have one of the Anarchy Outdoors like Stoti shows above, and I like it pretty good. I like my MPA on my PB better, and it is 0 degree too. I didn’t know I would like them as much until I tried it and now really like them on the bench for precision shooting.