Less than lethal?

Would the pepper spray balls have any effect on the chickens in close proximity? That would be my only real concern. I have considered the wrist rocket but the last time I shot one of those I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Thanks you all again! All awesome information and leading me down multiple roads to take care of this problem.

Smitty,
Lots of good advice offered so far. My two cents would be to consider a pump gun like the Crosman 760 Pumpmaster. Fires pellets, or BBs, from one pump to ten pump power. If one pump doesn't get their attention, go for two, and so on. AirNGasman is correct in one rifle to "sting" and another to kill. I have to carry Pepper Spray on my daily bicycle ride, a scumbag neighbor thinks his PitBulls should have the freedom to run loose, I feel your pain. WM

Would the pepper spray balls have any effect on the chickens in close proximity? That would be my only real concern. I have considered the wrist rocket but the last time I shot one of those I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. Thanks you all again! All awesome information and leading me down multiple roads to take care of this problem.

Don't trust me on this but I believe some people add capsaicin to chicken feed to deter rodents from eating it? I believe birds cannot taste it but that doesn't mean it couldn't be an irritant to eyes or respiratory tissues once airborne.

If you find anything out let us know.

Wild dogs? Different story. Just kill them with a firearm or crossbow if noise is a factor.

Neighbor's dogs? Unfortunately, you've already tipped your hand to the a$$hole dog owners. Now, if the dogs show up hurt or wounded, your neighbors will come after you. Try the video camera / court route or bear spray.

Last edited:
Reactions: markhooper
For the dogs you might try a paintball gun. Shooting them with a PCP is NOT a good idea.
I second this Paintball gun , and choose an obvious color , i believe the "paint" is harmless , non lethal because kids do this sport and shoot each other . you might even rent a gun ????

You always have to be caution when deploying any firearm. If you want to shoot a dog in the butt without breaking the skin here is the pistol you need:

Be careful when using this at close range.....even the standard version of this pistol packs quite a punch and under 10'

A lot of police use the T4E product like this for non lethal applications. The HDP50 is the softest shooter of the bunch.

I sell a bunch of these to people where firearms are restricted.

As for the coyotes as other have mentioned that is another matter completely

HK

I have a Crossman Bushmaster that does a great job of keeping the dogs out of my yard! A couple "hits" in semi-auto normally does the trick and full auto on the stubborn ones. No damage done and the sound is a good deterrent. As said here, the PCPs would definitely cause damage, which is not your intent. I have a Brocock coming in and I wonder if the lowest power setting could be used (or even the sub 12 English version)? For me the Crossman works great.

My neighbor bought an interesting plastic CO2 pistol that fires around 50 cal plastic or rubber balls at a pretty good velocity. I believe it is intended to be non lethal but would would hurt BAD to get hit with... Something like a frozen paintball. Paintballs would be another good option. If you mark the dog, how can the owner not take it seriously. There are laws to govern the owner responsibilities , as well.
Bob

Reactions: markhooper