• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Less than lethal?

I dont know pcps, and i’ve a question. When a pcp has a regulator, can’t you turn down the power output?? And raise it up again to shoot coyotes?
There are three possible ways a PCP could allow adjusting power:
  • Regulator
  • Hammer Spring
  • Transfer Port
For example, an Avenger has an externally adjustable regulator and hammer spring. An FX Discovery has all three. So you could in theory turn it down to 350 fps or so to sting them, and 900 fps to make them lethal. Some require tools (allen wrenches) to make the adjustments, and some have user-friendlier knobs. The Discovery has knobs to adjust the TP and hammer spring, and maybe I'll play with it this afternoon and report back about what it can do.

video the dogs damaging the coop and or attacking your critters. give the video to your attorney and have them tell your neighbors you'll be holding them financially accountable for any damage to the property or your animals

Around here, dogs attacking live stock dont last long. Seems to me youd have a legal backing for protecting your property and animals by any means necessary

All that fails...... the "three S's" comes to mind....
I would play the three strikes game with them.

1. A verbal reprimand.
2. A financial penalty (Shoot the dog in the ass with a pellet gun. No permanent damage to the dog, but a costly vet bill.)
3. No more games....308 for a fast retirement.

Reactions: Jaxjax and RWC123
I have been lurking around this forum for a while but I cannot seem to find the information I am looking for. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I live out in a rural area and have chickens in a coop/run. The problem comes when the neighbors (using the term loosely) let their dogs run around and they are tearing up my coop and other things. I would like to purchase a PCP pistol or rifle with the option to sting the dogs without wounding or killing them. I am not sure if it is possible but would like to be able to hunt/kill other animals like coyotes as well. I will need to be shooting from my back deck roughly 20-30 yards sometimes closer. I have considered using felt cleaning pellets in a high power pcp but worry about accuracy. Again any advice would be appreciate. Thank you all in advance. If this is not the correct forum please let me know and or move it. Again thank you!
You want an air soft, but remember there is nothing soft about them. They will tear up an aluminum can. So a hit in the eye will blind. Use the biodegradable pellets. Even a cheap one has decent range and power.

i have one of these, shuts the jerk dogs up right away and keeps them away from the house
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.11.56 PM.jpg

There are three possible ways a PCP could allow adjusting power:
  • Regulator
  • Hammer Spring
  • Transfer Port
For example, an Avenger has an externally adjustable regulator and hammer spring. An FX Discovery has all three. So you could in theory turn it down to 350 fps or so to sting them, and 900 fps to make them lethal. Some require tools (allen wrenches) to make the adjustments, and some have user-friendlier knobs. The Discovery has knobs to adjust the TP and hammer spring, and maybe I'll play with it this afternoon and report back about what it can do.
Shooting the JSB 18.13 and playing with the dials, the lowest I could get from its default setting was 620 fps. That will be to fast to just sting a dog.

I'm not sure what the gun's lowest possible velocity is.

We have a farm and had the same problems. You may not want to hear this but your neighbor's advice is really your best option. Put up a fence. There's an old saying that goes like this, "good fences make good neighbors". Even a couple strings of barbed wire are better than nothing.

While you build up funds to put up a fence, I recommend you get a dog. But not just any dog. Do your homework and find a breed that, is big, has a low prey drive but very protective of your family and property. A lot of farms around here have great Pyrenees. Get him as a young pups and keep him either in the pen with your chickens / livestock or nearby so they bond with the small animals and accept them as family.

I've been slowly fencing our land so there are still breaks and missing sections. Until I have time to finish the fencing around the perimeter of our property I'm keeping our chickens penned up and our dog on a long leash. I also take my dog to hike around our farm so he can spread his scent. It's working and working very well. I have game camera footage of coyotes and bears looking at our chickens but they won't come any closer than a 100 yds because they also see (and smell) our dog. Now our dog is not an ideal farm dog (he's a husky/malamute mix) two breeds which are known to have a high prey drive. But he's slowly getting to the point where he's accepting/ignoring the livestock and chickens and in the meantime, our neighbor's dogs, coyotes and bears are staying far away.

All,
Thank you all for the awesome ideas! I think I am going to try the paintball gun to begin with. I have been giving this a lot of though and I am hoping the owners see their dogs come back with paint on them and think about it. If that doesn’t work than I’ll have to move up in the spectrum of dealing with them.

Reactions: Babaganoush
All,
Thank you all for the awesome ideas! I think I am going to try the paintball gun to begin with. I have been giving this a lot of though and I am hoping the owners see their dogs come back with paint on them and think about it. If that doesn’t work than I’ll have to move up in the spectrum of dealing with them.
With all due respect, that's a really bad idea for a number of reasons: First, most states have laws against animal cruelty and that's exactly what you'll be guilty of. All he has to do is call the local sheriff and show what you've done to his dog and you'll be in jail. And your excuse that you can't afford to fence your farm will get nowhere with the judge. Second, it will just escalate the hostility level with your neighbor. He may just decide to take the law into his own hands.

Reactions: kingsqueak
video the dogs damaging the coop and or attacking your critters. give the video to your attorney and have them tell your neighbors you'll be holding them financially accountable for any damage to the property or your animals

Around here, dogs attacking live stock dont last long. Seems to me youd have a legal backing for protecting your property and animals by any means necessary
This is really the only answer. Shooting the pets will get you in trouble for animal cruelty. You can put up an electric fence around the coup itself to keep costs down, the solar fence chargers are cheaper than a decent air soft gun, I bought one to zap the chipmunks getting in our garden boxes. The trouble you'll have with the fence is getting it close enough to the ground to zap the dogs, tall grass will drain your battery when it rains.

All that fails...... the "three S's" comes to mind....
Agreed, any varmints trying to harm the farm animals don’t get a second chance or a second thought around here.

Reactions: MJS
Just mail the neighbor a copy..

From..

§ 44-17-201. Owners liability
Where any dog shall kill, or in any manner damage, any livestock in this state, the owner or harborer of such dog shall be liable, in an action for damage, to the owner of such livestock.
1859-1860 Acts, c. 45, § 1; 1949 Pub.Acts, c. 262, § 1.
§ 44-17-201. Owners liability
Where any dog shall kill, or in any manner damage, any livestock in this state, the owner or harborer of such dog shall be liable, in an action for damage, to the owner of such livestock.
1859-1860 Acts, c. 45, § 1; 1949 Pub.Acts, c. 262, § 1.

The bad part about asking questions like this on a public form is that they're discoverable in the event something happens to crappy neighbor's doge and he get pissed and get a lawyer.

Reactions: Sc0-
If the dogs are killing your chickens...kill the dogs. Dispose of the remains.Problem solved. We had dogs getting into our chicken coup.and my dad told the neighbors about it..to not let it happen again. They did and he killed them both. Problem solved. It's THEIR job to keep their dogs under control, not yours.

Ahhh, I remember the good ol days when a good punch in the face could solve most of neighborly disputes. Now days we have these pesky things such as laws, fortunately for you the law is on your side. I'd say the coyotes are one problem all together....less than lethal is a bandaid for poor neighbors, I'd take legal action with the help of animal control.