• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Less than lethal?

Dogs and guns have the same connotation in that "its not the gun that kills or maims, it's the person" I have had pit bulls and pit bull mixes for 40 years and they have been the best dogs - easy to train, take commands very well, wonderful with people and wonderful with other animals. As said above, people that let their animals run and do what they want are at fault. It's unfortunate that the animal will pay the price.

That being said, if your property is being harmed - in this case animals, then it is your responsibility to protect them! We use to load rock salt up in our shotgun shells for the ones that needed a good lesson, but that doesn't work when you can't shoot a shotgun where your animals reside! Even a sub12 177 at a close enough range will break the skin on a lightly furred dog, but not much more, so that in many cases would be enough to keep the animal away.

Reactions: markhooper
I have lived in the country all my life and out here it's actually the law that the dog owners are responsible for their dogs.. I love dogs but if they are harming livestock, shoot, bury and shutup.. unfortunately .. could trap and ask animal control to pick up.. I also like the idea of paintball and hopefully the owner will wake up to find his dog is covered in washable paint and hopefully he had a dog door and went in the house and made a mess..
ultimately it is not the dog, but the owner..
I love dogs a lot, but when choosing between the dogs killing $500 dollar baby cows I was responsible for.. the same thing happened to the coyotes and dogs..
but.. I really love dogs and having to deal with it instead of people being responsible was heartbreaking

View attachment 400660
We are animal people, I have 3 dogs and 2 cats now. Our cat angel We had for 22 years, before we had to have her put to sleep. I don't enjoy killing any dog or cat. Had a buddy that would shoot any cat we saw when out hunting, saying they were ferrel and needed to be killed.
Was out one night in a blind trying to lure in some coyotes that were killing a friend's calves, and a big husky come into my night vision scope. I watched it as it trotted across his field. I told my friend about it when I got back to his house and he scolded me for not killing it. I told him I didn't want to shoot someones pet, he said it was his neighbors dog that is constantly chasing his cows and calves and has been warned the next time it's on his property it would be delt with.
This is MY OPINION: It's not my job and expense to put up a fence to keep neighbors dogs out, it's their job to keep their dogs under their control.
They are accountable for controlling their dogs, not ME and they would suffer the consequences for not doing that, if it came to a head.

Reactions: markhooper
Hope it’s acceptable to post this. In the past when we’ve had those problems we would “tin can” the dog. We use a friendly approach and perhaps a treat to catch the dog. Then we have a tin soup can with several rocks inside it that we tie to a rear leg with twine so the dog can easily chew through it if he gets hung up. leave about 18 inches of slack. Once the can is securely attached the dog is released. When it takes a step the can drags and rattles. Once the dog notices it and starts running the show is on! They always go straight home at a high rate of speed. Have a blanket spread out on the ground ready because if the dog has given you a lot of grief you’ll end up rolling on the ground laughing. One or two treatments of this is all it takes. I hope this can be considered “training” not animal cruelty.

Not a big fan of the paintball propositions here. Paintballs may not be pellets, but they have enough power to knock out a tooth or blind you. We wear full face masks for a reason.

My dog is as kind-hearted as they come, but the sight of our chickens excites him. It brings out that hunting instinct. He can't really help it. The owners are the problem. They are the one who should suffer the consequences.

I have been lurking around this forum for a while but I cannot seem to find the information I am looking for. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I live out in a rural area and have chickens in a coop/run. The problem comes when the neighbors (using the term loosely) let their dogs run around and they are tearing up my coop and other things. I would like to purchase a PCP pistol or rifle with the option to sting the dogs without wounding or killing them. I am not sure if it is possible but would like to be able to hunt/kill other animals like coyotes as well. I will need to be shooting from my back deck roughly 20-30 yards sometimes closer. I have considered using felt cleaning pellets in a high power pcp but worry about accuracy. Again any advice would be appreciate. Thank you all in advance. If this is not the correct forum please let me know and or move it. Again thank you!
You could rent a bulldozer and point it at their house and say " If this ever happens again I'm gonna start this thing and let it go where it may HAHAHAHAHAHA😈