• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Less than lethal?

I have been lurking around this forum for a while but I cannot seem to find the information I am looking for. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I live out in a rural area and have chickens in a coop/run. The problem comes when the neighbors (using the term loosely) let their dogs run around and they are tearing up my coop and other things. I would like to purchase a PCP pistol or rifle with the option to sting the dogs without wounding or killing them. I am not sure if it is possible but would like to be able to hunt/kill other animals like coyotes as well. I will need to be shooting from my back deck roughly 20-30 yards sometimes closer. I have considered using felt cleaning pellets in a high power pcp but worry about accuracy. Again any advice would be appreciate. Thank you all in advance. If this is not the correct forum please let me know and or move it. Again thank you!

Thank you very much for the advice. I have actually tried both Unfortunately. Animal control doesn’t do anything other than take the dog back and the owners told me to put up a fence. I can’t afford to fence 16 plus acres. Killing coyotes would just be a bonus but I dont want to be the neighbor that kills peoples dogs. Thank you again for the advice.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003169546
The only thing that will accomplish what you want to do isn't an airgun, it's a blowgun, shooting those stun darts from the link above. Under 15 yards a shot in the butt will make them leave. That or get a good super soaker squirt gun and put fox urine in it and spray the dogs, the dogs hate it and so will their owners who let them run. There are plenty of active threads at this site already about good guns for coyote and there is no dual purpose device for both problems.

Reactions: jdh2550 and sltech
video the dogs damaging the coop and or attacking your critters. give the video to your attorney and have them tell your neighbors you'll be holding them financially accountable for any damage to the property or your animals

Around here, dogs attacking live stock dont last long. Seems to me youd have a legal backing for protecting your property and animals by any means necessary

All that fails...... the "three S's" comes to mind....

ChRiSiS, thank you that is an option I had considered but worry about accuracy. My thought was to try plastic bbs or was hoping to find rubber pellets.

Why is accuracy that important when you are just trying to scare off a dog? You don’t need to hit it exactly in the eye to scare it off plus paintball guns are semi auto and you can get bio degradable paint balls so your chickens don’t eat the lead pellets so you can have heavy metal breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Last edited: