Tuning Leshiy2 REPR - can this Reg creep?

I got this REPR recently and when started tuning for speed of course I broke the oring in a very first ten minutes. Replaced as per specs, also did some polishing on the bevel washers.

Today after about 3-4 hundred shots in my club I left the Reg about 95 bars and when I got home the gauge shows 110. I remember the last 2-3 mags were some erratically speed I thought the barrel started fulling.

The Reg is not leaking, no hiss or any sound, assume the oring is not blown again.

20 ish bars raising within half an hour. What that means? It is not some conventional design, can this REPR Reg creep as well?

Edit:

I forgot to add that last week I was shooting .22 JSB MRD with a 350 mm barrel + 2x0.3 jets, and at 950 fps I didn't like the grouping at all.

Today I swap the barrel to 500mm and tuned for AA FT 16 gr, but the jets were still the 2x0.3. I could not lower the Reg below 90 bars probably because of small jets, the ES was erratical, but still,

These AA's beats the MRD grouping big time even with a "out of normal range" speeds of 950-980.

Swapping jets to 0.4 for next range day.

I had some reg creep the first few months, it has since stopped creepin'!

I also tried tuning my 350mm barrel for the .22 25g MRD's. I used .4mm jets, 155ish bar reg (analog gauge), 875 fps with 25g MRD's. They shot great to 50y, then grouping got worse out at 100y. In my experience the MRD's like to fly 920 - 980 fps. I felt like my L2 was maxed out with the 350mm barrel. Additionally, the quality and consistency of the 25g MRD's has really fallen off the last few years.

I've resorted back to the 18g & 15.9g pellets.

EDgun only offers 250mm, 350mm, 450mm, and 600mm barrels. If I were shooting the 16g or 18g pellets out of a 450mm barrel I'd install much larger jets and keep the reg really low. For example I have a .22 Hornet with a 250mm barrel. I installed jets 1.3, turned reg down to 90b, shooting 15.9g @ 760fps 20FPE. The same settings with a 450mm barrel would likely yield quite a bit more velocity.

One tip I have may that also help you conserve air, and reduce the noise level. You can adjust the pin that makes contact with the trigger so that it doesn't hold open the valve any longer than needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uxt8zdRWMM&t=72s

-Michael

The REPR reg can creep indeed. Recently the L2 would leak to bottle pressure, turned out the delrin cup that is sealed with the ball was damaged. Had a spare and replaced it. Of course I lathered everything with silicone grease when reassembling. Shooting sessions were great but had more reg creep than I would of liked overnight. Not as good as it once was when I first received gun.

Took reg apart again and noticed the inside of the delrin cup had silicone grease in it. I think I put too much grease. So I cleaned everything real good and put only minuscule amount of silicone on the orings ONLY. I then washed my Belleville washers because they felt sticky with the silicone grease. So currently my washers are dry. Reassembled and reg creep a non issue. The reg also seems to cycle much faster.

Last night I could not watch the movie and I toke the REPR apart.

Looks like I have found the issue, not sure yet is it a cure.

As I said the last couple mags speeds and ES were erratically, also turning the Reg was pretty hard and mostly I was turning it on low pressure. Look what I found:

............uhm, cannot upload pictures, must be a server filtering again, " Unable to create temporary upload directory " I can get back with these pictures later when the issue is fixed.

Toke the REPR cap of, removed the washers, wanted to remove now the piston and didn't move, it toke me some effort with my precision pliers to remove.

A metal chip inside, magnetic, not really visible with naked eye, but I have several jewellery magnifier lupes in high power and this how I could see that MF chip chunk.

I am blaming this on me. I got the REPR tool last week and I didn't blow it with a compressor right away how I got it, this is the only way the metal chip could get inside between the piston and bushing...the 3-400 shots and tuning the Reg up and down, and seized both sidewalls after some "heavy rubbing - on the piston and the bushing as well.

This explains also how it was hard to turn the tool, the metal chip was grinding inside and stuck the piston.

I polished both parts (with the lupe again) and hoping the first aid will work, but I will have to send an email to Edgun if I could get replacement parts.

Going now to open the forward plug to check if any metal chip get there inside as well, I don't want to F*up those parts for sure.

Edit: added pictures.

piston seized.1653876193.JPG
bushing seized.1653876202.JPG

Finally I got these pictures uploading.

I have had 20 plus bar of reg creep in first 30 min since new. Has only gotten worse over time. Three rebuilds later and it’s still terrible. Spreads of 100 plus FPS over 24 shots. In fact it is currently not operational as it creeps to bottle pressure within 30 min and blows the seals. This just randomly stated to happen with reg set at 150 bar. Every time it does this now when filling. Or it will hold air and starts leaking at 100 bar and dumps the Gun of its pressure. After taking it apart this last time and seeing everything clean, no O-ring damage, I am at a loss. The Gremlin gun strikes again.

No, just replaced all three O-rings, blew out the cylinder with low pressure air, tried lots of lube, tried small amount of lube. Nothing worked. The part needs to just be replaced. Nothing left then a poor machining job as the cause.

I blew 5 o-rings on the brass piston before going deeper and changing the ball and the delrin cup, its quite a delicate operation to seat the ball, spring and cup but Brian West posted a video how to do it, a simple homemade tool makes it quite easy

If the ball and cup fail, the o-ring on the brass piston is exposed to full tank pressure, that's why it blows out - change the ball and cup and your problem should be solved

I used to clean all my assembly parts either with acetone or IPA + blow it out with a compressed air = place in a "laboratory clean" plastic container to transfer to my assembly table......

Unfortunately not this time, I made shortcuts, and this is the result of that.

Some people may have luck working on the porch but that is a 50-50% in my eyes.

I don't want to leave the bushing like this, the oring may seal... or may not...

tip: when you inserting a new/replaced oring, you don't just push it in to a place, but you need to twist it like you would be winding-in a screw.............

Found out today that the little ceramic balls is a major key in creep. Such a small surface and light spring. The spring can't just sit on the ball in the delrin housing, it must be centered and push directly down. No lube on the spring or ball as it must freely move back and forth off the delrin. After 200 shot or so the ceramic ball will start to make a formed indent that will greatly stop creep. some L2 work great at the beginning, some delrin have small burrs and need some indent to help. Can't just drop the ball in the housing and drop the spring in, you have to get the spring directly center over the ball. This may help. 

I toke the L2 a part to smallest bits and pieces and found more metal chip inside the air path, no other way to get in only from machining in a hurry... I washed all with IPA, air dried replaced all the orings and re-lubed before assembling. Holding now the pressure within 2 bars a whole afternoon, but I had no time today for a shooting club. Also I got an email from Brian asking $55 for those two yellow anodized pieces, kind of pricey but I want to replace these for a peace in mind.

That ceramic ball and a spring below was full of white grease in my Reg as well, I cleaned that mess and just lube it with a thin silicon oil. It was really easy to put all back into the pocket even without a tool.

My REPR is creeping about 10 bars in maybe five to ten minutes and throws some very weird numbers in a first 2-3 shots.

Let say I set the Reg at 90 and slowly climbs up to 110 bars

I tried the rapid fire two shots and next two in five seconds intervals and watching the gauge (shooting in a safe backstop = sandbank) and the numbers are 86-90.

How can I stop a creep?

My best bet:

1) remove the valve housing (so no pressure build up on the secondary side of the reg), remove the spring discs and brass stem from the reg, air up to the max at 300 bar, this will set the reg at max differential pressure and force the ceramic ball deeper into the delrin seat, keep it under pressure for several days 

2) order new set of delrin cup and ball and keep changing part until you find a set that do not leak

3) or if still under warranty, send it back

I did number 2 (no pun intended) because embedded grit in the delrin cup made it beyond repair

I have multiple problems in Canada, most relates to a supply or shipping interruptions. I called my local Dealer he didn't received parts from Edgun for months.

I can replace the REPR within warranty but that brings me to a learning curve again with the new components inside.

So my best option is a DIY as well, if I don't want to put the L2 aside for unpredictable time.

I wanted to order "things" from Spain earlier but they're shipping to Canada killed the deal.

I am just up to air it up again without the valve "piston" and will leave it under high pressure for couple days, as you suggested.

Also, I was looking into my tool box what I could I use some pin or make one from a broken drill bit (ID 2.4 mm hole in the delrin puck) I have some fine diamond paste for polishing, if I can polish the seat for the ceramic ball on delrin.

I am not giving much hope the delrin as a material is like a hard bubble gum ;) and it will just squeeze.

Put a high pressure on ceramic ball to form a good seat is a best bet so far.

Thanks for the tip.