Leshiy2 250mm 25cal Quiet Project Thread

starting a thread to document my travel down the dark road of quieting down my edgun leshiy2 250mm 25cal

began with a post about it prior to this one and got a lot of good, useful info from experienced members.
debate really centered on whether to get a whole separate gun to run quiet and just keep this stock; decided to mod this one.

- project started as stock everything, non-repr model
- bought donnyfl ronin 22/25cal w 1/2-UNF end + 250mm shroud kit
- chorno has me running stock at about 850fps with hades 25cal pellets
- this setup sounds exactly like a literal pneumatic nail-gun - too loud for me

spoke with edgunwest team and they recommended a pair of 1.3mm jets & discussed hornet mod kit, ordered both and on the way...
i will be manually tuning the reg, changing the stock jets for the 1.3mm pair, and installing the hornet kit.

more to come...

I just received the MOD 50 moderator and it is a different sound from the Ronin. I am running the L2 in .30 so the sound will be much higher. The L2 is in 250mm, 450mm and 600mm with speed increasing significantly with the 600mm.
I did purchase the adapter from Donny for the 350mm barrel and 1/2-UNF so I could run the Ronin; I switched to the MOD 50 and like it much better. I have since modified an Impact shroud to use on the 450mm barrel with the Huma adapter so the barrel will screw into the impact shroud. With the shroud I run the Mod 50 as I purchased it in 1/2unf.
With the carbon fiber guard it looks good although longer. Shooting the 44gr JSB’s at 950fps so right at 90ft/lbs and backyard friendly…

OP did Edgun West have any opinions on 22 vs 25 for a quiet tune as discussed in the other thread? Or did that not come up?

They have jets in stock? I think they were out of stock recently.

And I want to clarify your setup. You have the DonnyFL shroud? And now you're going to try a Huma on the shroud? Or the Huma directly on the barrel?
The 22 vs 25 debate did not come up once we started discussing the hornet pkg which is only available in 25 and 30.. they do not have jets in stock, they had these 2 available and they hooked me up with just these for this purpose to use with the hornet pkg.

For my setup I am abandoning the donnyfl ronin and shroud (will sell on classifieds bc I don't have any other 25cal). The hornet is a free float mount on the existing 250mm - it is its own mounting system and according to Ed's team bc of that it acts differently/ better in that application.
The mod 50 tames the L2 better than the 40 while still keeping the same pitch. I saw the new inserts and may give them a go but I have really wanted the mod 50 and I like it. I wish I could make a true sound file to show the difference but it will never be true as in person.
Nice I'm looking forward to this... I wanted to make my own bc I can print and design baffles but I'm still trying to source tube and endcaps

I have a L2 250 22cal with the Hornet Mod. I also have a Mod 50 for other rifles [ see below if desired] along with a start chamber avalanche insert and
2- mid chamber avalanche inserts I test with 3 different sound meters ranging in cost from $150.00 to $50.00 [thank you amazon]
2 stations 1st 5-6ft. in front & left of muzzle. 2nd-3ft left of muzzle 4shots each for a total 12 shots then I average each station.
I also have a calibrator and calibrate the meters. Two of the meters typically read 4-9 dBA of each other while the third is 12-15dBA different
but individually the readings of each meter are 4-5dBA different. Again I calibrate them.
I realize this is NOT the perfect end all but I believe it's the best I can do with what I have. I found that the factory Hornet is the
most quite about- average 79.8dBA-81.5 no matter what arrangement I did with inserts no improvement was made.
As far as the L2 for me the factory Hornet is best for me.
Back to MOD 50 I put that on my Caiman X with the avalanche inserts in the start and 3d chamber and it made it a little quieter
But it changed the tone so much it didn't sound at all like a air gun. I had two other people confirm. for what it's worth

starting a thread to document my travel down the dark road of quieting down my edgun leshiy2 250mm 25cal

began with a post about it prior to this one and got a lot of good, useful info from experienced members.
debate really centered on whether to get a whole separate gun to run quiet and just keep this stock; decided to mod this one.

- project started as stock everything, non-repr model
- bought donnyfl ronin 22/25cal w 1/2-UNF end + 250mm shroud kit
- chorno has me running stock at about 850fps with hades 25cal pellets
- this setup sounds exactly like a literal pneumatic nail-gun - too loud for me

spoke with edgunwest team and they recommended a pair of 1.3mm jets & discussed hornet mod kit, ordered both and on the way...
i will be manually tuning the reg, changing the stock jets for the 1.3mm pair, and installing the hornet kit.

more to come...
Why switch from factory .4 jets to 1.3mm jets? 250mm barrel in .25 Cal right? I am running 350mm .25 Cal and all I keep hearing is factory setting .4's or power setting .2's. Never have I heard set it up like a .22 or .177 which is 1.0 or greater jets???

Why switch from factory .4 jets to 1.3mm jets? 250mm barrel in .25 Cal right? I am running 350mm .25 Cal and all I keep hearing is factory setting .4's or power setting .2's. Never have I heard set it up like a .22 or .177 which is 1.0 or greater jets???
This is what edgunwest recommended based on my desire to push the 25cal out of 250mm at 600ish fps and maintain air efficiency. It was explained to me that the larger jet shuts off the air faster so you aren't losing air when slowing FPS. If I kept stock I believe my shot count would suffer vs boosting shot count w this setup for the fps I want... unless I have that all wrong???

Ok, got it you are on the other end of the spectrum shooting at slower FPS. Another question what pellet / slug have you found, and at what speed are you shooting that at, and distance??? Think i'm only going to use it at ranges 75 yards and less, and the slowest possible speed for 2/3 MOA.
My L2 was 850ish fps in stock config (250mm barrel/ 25cal/ donnfl ronin w his 250mm shroud/ hades 25cal pellets) - I am going to be tuning down w goal of 600-650ish fps w same pellets, 1.3mm jets for air efficiency, and hornet moderator pkg with intended range of 25yds (40yds max). I am primarily interested in getting it as quiet as possible while retaining decent power and range & maximizing shot count.

Reactions: Ginuwine1969
My L2 was 850ish fps in stock config (250mm barrel/ 25cal/ donnfl ronin w his 250mm shroud/ hades 25cal pellets) - I am going to be tuning down w goal of 600-650ish fps w same pellets, 1.3mm jets for air efficiency, and hornet moderator pkg with intended range of 25yds (40yds max). I am primarily interested in getting it as quiet as possible while retaining decent power and range & maximizing shot count.
Just never considered have jets totaling more that .8, you have given me something to think about. I currently have 1 .4 jet installed right now just to test MK2 and Hades with a Reg of 100 and 135 to see the group size, then i will most likely return it to 2x .4's. I am waiting until I get my Behemoth in, don't want to keep wasting pellets, the moderator will change the barrel harmonics a little so figure it should be in by next week at the latest.