• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leshiy vs FX Dream Tac Compact

Hey All,

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these 2 guns. What I like is the size and packability of both guns. I am selling my TalonP and hope to find better accuracy out of a new gun. Power is not the highest priority for me at the moment. I want it quiet for covert pesting, but still able to stretch its legs out at the ranch. I like the multishot ability of the dream tac compact, but i also want to be able to shoot different calibers easily.. Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

Hey Vetmx,

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't have a ton of experience with different guns, but how does the dream tac compact performance compare to something like a TalonP? In your opinion how easy is it to tune the compact down in power? It seems like everyone is wanting more power, but at times I want less. An example, can I shoot 750+ fps on max and then drop to min on the power wheel and shoot 500fps without a full retune?

I’ve had both guns. Still have the leshiy. The DreamTac, in my opinion was not worth the money. It looks really compact but it’s really not. Look at the actual measurements. The leshiy is way shorter. Yes they are 2 different animals. The FX will give you more shots per fill and easier to adjust/tune. But the leshiy is way shorter, easier to fix if it ever breaks and it’s a really accurate gun. I put the Dreamtact side by side with my impact and the dreamline was longer gun. So if you want FX, go impact or crown. I would definitely look at the Edgun R5M if I was shopping. I have one and, wow! It’s one bad ass gun. 

I have been looking for a new gun and I'm not to certain about the Leshiy . I see it is extremely well built and accurate but the breach load single shot doesn't sound very enjoyable for shooting cans or pesting . I got excited about the FX's modular barrel caliber swapping but I don't think I would enjoy the retuning . If you have the budget for multiple guns that might be a nice option . So many options from one gun to another make it hard to decide what I would want other than I know I would want a repeater or semi auto .

I've never had a Leshiy, so can't comment, but will address the FX. I have 3 FX air rifles and another on the way. I have Dreamline Classic in .25 and purchased the .22 barrel. Yes, I do have to rezero the scope when I change calibers, but it's not but a couple clicks of either adjustment. As far as tuning, I just switch the port setting from 2 to 3 when I switch from .22 to .25.

I also have a Crown Continuum. I have a ATN 4K Pro scope on it, so when I change barrels (I have the 380mm & 700mm in .22 and a 380mm in .25) I just switch profiles in the scope. Again, tuning is nothing more than changing the port setting from .177/.22 to .25/.30 when I switch from the .22 barrel to .25.

My 3rd is an FX Royale 400 in .22, the barrel is not switchable, so there's no issues at all with it.

I have a Dream-Tac on order. I ordered the .22 with the 500mm barrel and the 500cc aluminum tank. I also ordered the folding stock adapter from the Compact and a 300cc Best Fittings CF tank. Using the 380mm barrels & magazines from my Continuum and the barrels, probes & Magazines from my Dreamline Classic, I'll be able to convert that one from a regular Dream-Tac capable of shooting either .22 or .25 to a Dream-Tac Compact in either .22 or .25 using parts I already have. What I like about the FX products is how versatile they are!

Hey Vetmx,

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't have a ton of experience with different guns, but how does the dream tac compact performance compare to something like a TalonP? In your opinion how easy is it to tune the compact down in power? It seems like everyone is wanting more power, but at times I want less. An example, can I shoot 750+ fps on max and then drop to min on the power wheel and shoot 500fps without a full retune?

Yes. The FX is real easy to turn up or down. For instance, I was shooting JSB 16gr pellets and wanted to switch to cheap Crosman Walmart 14gr pellets for a family shoot fest. The gun didn’t shoot them well. So I turned the transfer port wheel from 25 to 22, slowed the gun down, and was instantly putting pellets in one ragged hole. I will never sell my Leshiy because it serves a purpose but the FX Compact is a better all around gun. It’s not as small as a Leshiy but it’s also not gigantic. As long as you are not power hungry or need a tiny gun, the FX isn’t a bad choice. I will also add that the Leshiy will shoot a pellet as fast as the FX but the shot experience with the FX is way smoother. When you get a Leshiy pushing pellets as hard as a full size gun, the little bugger starts getting nutty. But it will do it. A 750fps Leshiy is much nicer to shoot but turn the FX down to 750 and it’s still more stable.

The barrels on the Dreamline and the Crown do not appear to be the same. I had the same idea in mind after buying my Crown Continuum and went to the shop and measured both barrels. The exposed/ non shrouded portion of the barrel on the crown seem shorter than the one on the Dreamline. 
might work if you use Dreamline barrels on the Crown but not the other way around. 
i have the short 380mm barrels .22,.25 and .30 for the crown and wanted to use them on the dreamtact compact. Didn’t seem doable. 

I don't have an FX but I'm all about the Leshiy. Mine is .22 with the 350mm barrel. I ordered with the 250mm barrel and just recently got the new one. The barrel took almost 1 minute to swap out. Almost- not quite.

There's nothing like it on the market, and as far as single-shot versus multi- I still enjoy the slower cadence of single-shot plinking. I've put about 1800 pellets through mine and I hand-pump to 250 Bar- so despite also having pumpers, CO2, springers, and several other PCPs, the Leshiy is my Go-To Gun. It forces follow-through and breath-control, and has made me a much better shooter. Even with the 350mm barrel, it stows very nicely in a compact backpack, and I've brought it on several canoe trips on the James River. I won't nay-say the FX at all as I have no experience with them. But the EdGun is far and away much more robust, easier to service, more simple in design, and more compact. Factor in the Leshiy is superbly accurate... Then consider that every other "rifle" is going to be like the DreamTac in that it's a rifle (even if a bullpup) versus the Leshiy stands unique and alone.

Buy both. I have both and they are completely different animals. I will say this, a Leshiy is not a primary airgun. It’s a fantastic gun for certain situations. I used to think caliber switching would be cool. It’s not. Having to retune and sight in gets old. It’s more fun to have guns in various calibers dialed in and ready to go.

Agree 100%

You have the major pros and cons so far already, but I’ll add my take. I have owned the Leshiy, but never the DreamTac compact.

I wanted the DT compact a lot at first, but I never saw it doing anything that great from reviews. Besides folding down, it didn’t seem to bring much more to the table that other rifles weren’t much different in cost. And then it still wasn’t that small. So I still haven’t tried it yet...

I did try the Leshiy and it is still one gun that I regret selling. It is very compact and can be thrown in a backpack for a hunt. The caliber changing was the easiest of anything so far, and the HST adjuster was very easy to adjust. I loved how very quiet and easy to shoot it was on low power pesting. I learned a lot about tuning with it because it was so darn easy. 

All that being said, it depends on what you plan to use it for most. I prefer my rifle to be multipurpose, because I don’t do enough short range pesting to justify the Leshiy. The Leshiy is not a great bench gun. It is fun for a little while, but it isn’t made for that and isn’t accurate enough for me to sit at a bench and play like I do with my larger rifles. I think both are probably fine rifles, but you have to decide which aspects are the most important to you for this purchase.

You have the major pros and cons so far already, but I’ll add my take. I have owned the Leshiy, but never the DreamTac compact.

I wanted the DT compact a lot at first, but I never saw it doing anything that great from reviews. Besides folding down, it didn’t seem to bring much more to the table that other rifles weren’t much different in cost. And then it still wasn’t that small. So I still haven’t tried it yet...

I did try the Leshiy and it is still one gun that I regret selling. It is very compact and can be thrown in a backpack for a hunt. The caliber changing was the easiest of anything so far, and the HST adjuster was very easy to adjust. I loved how very quiet and easy to shoot it was on low power pesting. I learned a lot about tuning with it because it was so darn easy. 

All that being said, it depends on what you plan to use it for most. I prefer my rifle to be multipurpose, because I don’t do enough short range pesting to justify the Leshiy. The Leshiy is not a great bench gun. It is fun for a little while, but it isn’t made for that and isn’t accurate enough for me to sit at a bench and play like I do with my larger rifles. I think both are probably fine rifles, but you have to decide which aspects are the most important to you for this purchase.

I'm in the same camp as you, as much as I would love a dedicated backyard pesting and dense wood hunting rifle I have little opportunity to do either. I enjoy the hell out of my impact target practicing on the bench, tripod and leaning against the wall even though I only have 30 yards to work with. Yes I would love the light weight and compactness of Leshiy but I can't seem to justify for a short gun as much as I am tempted by it. With all of it's heavy/bulkiness(700mm + moderator) I still have the capability to tune and adjust the impact for as wide of use cases as possible which is nice, just need to be careful walking through door and such which is not the end of the world. I do really like Layla 2, a lot more than Leshiy, then wildcat compact is out at only 3 inches longer and about the same weight with superior liner which is more versatile........the struggle is real!

Every morning I look out of my windows to see if there is a unwitting squirrel venture into my backyard but that's a rare occasion now and days after 1 month of Impact ownership.....😅