Leshiy L2 magazine marking

Hello fellow L2 owners. How many of you are marking your magazines, in order to avoid a dry fire, after the last round in the mag?

I drill a divot on the side of the mag, and fill it with white paint.

Then I install the mag, rotate it so the dot is top center, then when the dot returns to top center, I know I just shot the last round.

I can also see the dot coming up, when there are 2 rounds remaining, so I get the warning.

Pretty simple, and I do this on almost all of my multishot mag guns. I'm sure many of you do the same??

IMG_20210220_211526042.1613923277.jpg

Scott, I would HIGHLY recommend against doing this. These magazines are manufactured to exact tolerances and you haphazardly drilling into them will create a weight imbalance and throw off the centrifugal-forceness of their rotation, causing unforeseen and potentially deadly consequences.

J/K - simple but brilliant! This is something they should do at the factory.

Count them shots people! That is what the military does too. It is not hard at all, but it takes some willingness to learn. It is exactly like learning a skill, it takes practice! But if you practice that day will come where it happens automatically... (So even when you "forget" to count, you'll think/guestimate/feel... "Hey I should be just out of ammo right now". (because subconcious you were still counting!) Then when you check if it is the case indeed, you are or there maybe just one round left in the mag... 

No crappy excuses like: "I always forget to count". It is a SKILL you have to practice to learn! Treat it just like any other skill needed to hit the target... 

I thought we were going to be getting numbered magazines. Ed showed pictures of pre shipments that showed laser engraved numbers on each lump. But that was obviously scrapped probably to save cost. I can see If you drilled a dimple in the magazine in line where the index wheel rolls over the lump , it may cause a problem in it rotating properly. Just try a permanent marker instead if you have the red magazine would be my advise. I would hate to see someone not thinking ahead drilling a dimple right in line with the indexing wheel and ruining a $90 magazine or two or three! I see you made the dimple out near the rear edge so you should be OK. There are some gun shops that offer laser engraving that could make a reference mark that wouldn’t hurt the magazine but again I’d still make sure they avoid the area where the wheel runs. 

Well I am totally stealing this idea. I had all my mags marked in one spot with a paint dot but it kept rubbing through use. This solution is much more elegant. 

FYI - I index the dot at 3PM when I start shooting, when I see the dot on top I know I have too shots left. This works well shooting as a lefty, but maybe as a righty a 12PM index works better. YMMV

@MartinT - In theory the round counting works, but in reality when you have a few different magazine styles and in different calibers they all hold a different amount of ammo and load in different ways it can become a bit confusing to keep it all straight.