• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leshiy Classic

Just wondering cheapest and most convenient options to fill the Leshiy as this is my only pcp. I want to use it for camping/hiking/plinking.
- I have a new dive shop about 5min from my house if that changes things. 
- Hand pump doable or make me not want to shoot as much ?
- I have an old 3000psi/200bar 80cu aluminum scuba tank that would need recertification but the Leshiy fulls up to 4300psi/300bar so I assume useless or atleast not worth the hassle ?

Whats everyone using ? Was trying to keep it around 300$ but open to the best options. 

Go to around the 13 minute mark in this video where Brian talks about the Leshiy being inefficient above 220 bar. I don't fill much higher than this for that reason.

https://youtu.be/xeDWz0xzf1E

Cheapest is a Chinese hand pump and they are convenient in a way but can get to be a drag.

Do your backpack trips have you returning to a campsite/vehicle every day or two? If so a 12v compressor might be an option.

Is your Scuba tank setup to fill PCP already? Filling your Leshiy as much as possible with the tank and then finishing off with the hand pump might be an option.

I use a still certified 45 minute SCBA tank and a Stik Boy fill assembly. It's the only tank I've owned but seems to be a reasonable compromise between portability and capacity. But I wouldn't carry it in a backpack.

Much of this depends on the scope of your hikes and camping trips and whether you'll need an air source when away from your campsite.

I wouldn’t be away from vehicle for more then a few hours and always close enough to walk back when needed. A 12v is an option. (500$)

I have a close diver shop that fills to 4500psi. What size tank would I need if I only fill the small Leshiy ? Cost of that setup ? (???$)

The scuba tank needs recert and inspection so prob not worth it.

Hand pump is an option but heard it’s hard to pump to 4000psi 250-300 bar. 

I wouldn’t be away from vehicle for more then a few hours and always close enough to walk back when needed. A 12v is an option. (500$)

I have a close diver shop that fills to 4500psi. What size tank would I need if I only fill the small Leshiy ? Cost of that setup ? (???$)

The scuba tank needs recert and inspection so prob not worth it.

Hand pump is an option but heard it’s hard to pump to 4000psi 250-300 bar.

Do you need to carry the bottle with you while you hike? That's an important thing to consider.

Personally I find the smaller DOT buddy bottles to be bigger than I wish to carry for my typical 4-6 mile hikes. And I find it hard to stomach it costing the same to fill them as my 45 minute tank or even a 60 minute tank if I owned one.

Another benefit of a compressor is that you can fill a smaller, non-DOT bottle. 

I don't shoot enough anymore to justify a compressor so this is a tough question for me to answer.

I rarely shoot below 100 bar. I don't recall the size of the Leshiy air tube off hand.

According to Ed its 50, bla, bla, bla cm3

leshiy reservoir volume_.1645557047.JPG

I forgot about those smaller Ninja tanks.

I can't get those filled in my area for anything less than $10 & that's a further drive than the Scuba shop that charges a few bucks more.

With hindsight I would probably choose that over the hand pump that was bundled with my first PCP.

Are those smaller bottles regulated? I would check that & the actual born on date of the bottle you purchase. 

I forgot about those smaller Ninja tanks.

I can't get those filled in my area for anything less than $10 & that's a further drive than the Scuba shop that charges a few bucks more.

With hindsight I would probably choose that over the hand pump that was bundled with my first PCP.

Are those smaller bottles regulated? I would check that & the actual born on date of the bottle you purchase.

Yes the carbon tanks have a 15yr life. They go up for sale locally for around 100$-150$ used with usually atleast 5yrs of life left.

Forgot to mention that five fills seems low for that size tank and a Leshiy. What did you use for your fill and re-fill pressures?

Here is a calculator that I like.

http://calc.sikes.us/2/

As long as I'm entering the proper pressures I'm getting just over 5 fills which is still over 100shots which is plenty for a few hour hike or any remote shooting. The Leshiy is spec'd for 300bar but I assumed you never take it all the way to that pressure to save o-rings ?

Screenshot 2022-02-22 180403.1645571067.jpg

Forgot to mention that five fills seems low for that size tank and a Leshiy. What did you use for your fill and re-fill pressures?

As long as I'm entering the proper pressures I'm getting just over 5 fills which is still over 100shots which is plenty for a few hour hike or any remote shooting. The Leshiy is spec'd for 300bar but I assumed you never take it all the way to that pressure to save o-rings ?

I fill to about 240 bar which I understand to be a good tradeoff for o-ring life and efficiency. 

If I enter 3500 and 1500 as the fill/re-fill pressures and got 12 fills.

And remember you'll still have fills below that point as well. They just won't be all the way to 240 bar.

Do note that I lowered the re-fill pressure since you said your 350mm Leshiy is shooting 700 FPS. I'm assuming the reg pressure is actually lower than 100 bar. 

I fill to about 240 bar which I understand to be a good tradeoff for o-ring life and efficiency. 

If I enter 3500 and 1500 as the fill/re-fill pressures and got 12 fills.

And remember you'll still have fills below that point as well. They just won't be all the way to 240 bar.

Do note that I lowered the re-fill pressure since you said your 350mm Leshiy is shooting 700 FPS. I'm assuming the reg pressure is actually lower than 100 bar. 

The regulator is at factory setting 110bar. 

I found 1 better. 16.2CF ninja. Calculations show 17fills. average 20shots x 17fills = 340shots for 10$. Couldn't see putting more then 1000 pellets through it a year. 30$/yr.

Can fit in my backpack with the Leshiy.

https://www.pbmechanix.com/product/ninja-ez-fill-valve-90ci-4500-tank/

Screenshot 2022-02-22 180403.1645579307.jpg