Leshiy Classic 350mm 22 is a Seriously Impressive Tool

I have a few PCP air rifles that are full size in nature. I did not have anything in the carbine or pistol class. I wanted something lightweight and reliable for an upcoming trip hunting ground squirrels at up to 12,000 feet elevation. I also wanted something I could throw in the backpack for transport and hiking in rough conditions. 

The Edgun Leshiy Classic seemed to fit the bill. I kept reading that it was light but solid in construction. The new Leshiy 2 was out and available for purchase and very cool looking. However, the complexity of that platform and being new turned me off for this application. Reliability and ease of maintenance in the field trumped cool looks and semi-automatic capability.

The 250mm barrel length was more compact but I read was louder and had a lower shot count compared to the 350mm length. The 350mm when folded still fit in the back pack I was planning to use. I also read that the STO insert was nice for the Leshiy Classic. The only other mod I planned was the Huma regulator. I decided on a 350mm barrel length in 22 cal.

I was immediately impressed with the construction and ease of install of the regulator and moderator insert. I did not want to disturb the balance and handiness of the Leshiy with a big scope. I also wanted something with a little magnification (no red dots) and bullet proof construction. Avoidance of batteries for operation was also a plus as I don't want to be in the field and have to worry about electronics to use my scope.

I decided on the Trijicon TA33 ACOG. Tough as nails and light, like the Leshiy. I like the 3 power magnification and the 300 BLK reticle with crosshair and holdovers. I put it in an ADM lever mount and the airgun was complete!

IMG_4882.1630420237.jpeg

IMG_4883.1630420255.jpeg

I left the HUMA at factory setting of 107 bar and backed off hammer spring. I started shooting over my Oehler chrono, gradually increased tension on the hammer spring, and settled on right around 800fps. I ended up getting 34 shots with an SD of 5.

IMG_4897.1630420145.jpeg

IMG_4898.1630420204.jpeg

I zeroed it at 35 yards and was happy with the 10 round group. My EVOL 22 shoots dime size 10 round groups but weighs almost twice as much. This was plenty accurate for hunting use where most shots will be 50 yards or less.

IMG_4885.1630420220.jpeg

The Leshiy was also very quiet with the STO insert. I felt it was going to be a perfect hunting package!

I hiked all over the mountains with the setup and was thrilled with the handiness and performance on ground squirrels. My brother and I had a blast stalking ground squirrels in the mountains. I can highly recommend this package for a lightweight hunting airgun that is reliable and accurate. I even took one small ground squirrel at 62 yards resting on a stump with a game changer bag. Just an awesome airgun to handle and shoot!

Reactions: Leon83
If you primarily want a PCP for hunting use on small game, this is tough to beat. I have a Marauder .25 PCP, an EVOL 22, EVOL 30, and a FX Maverick with 25/30 barrels. For a walking around and stalking small game airgun, this is the best of the lot. If you are primarily using it for target use or hunting from a fixed location, I would get a side lever PCP with a magazine. 

I forgot to add in the original post, I also installed a WIKA 300 bar pressure gauge as a mod.

A couple more photos from the areas I put the Leshiy Classic to use.

IMG_4943.1630422794.jpeg

IMG_5002.1630422858.jpeg

IMG_4996.1630422898.jpeg

I too was pleasantly surprised by the Leshiy Classic which I bought very lightly used off UA's used gun site. The high level of engineering design, robust construction and excellent manufacturing controls exhibited are a joy. These just add to the light weight and compactness of the package, and the power and accuracy you get out of them.

I didn't know whether I would 'bond' well with a single shot gun, but it has never taken the fun out of shooting my Classic. And shooting Hades pellets, it is lights-out for the ground squirrels trying to destroy the safety berms at the Cowboy range.

I too was pleasantly surprised by the Leshiy Classic which I bought very lightly used off UA's used gun site. The high level of engineering design, robust construction and excellent manufacturing controls exhibited are a joy. These just add to the light weight and compactness of the package, and the power and accuracy you get out of them.

I didn't know whether I would 'bond' well with a single shot gun, but it has never taken the fun out of shooting my Classic. And shooting Hades pellets, it is lights-out for the ground squirrels trying to destroy the safety berms at the Cowboy range.

The 22 Hades are also the pellets I use in the Leshiy. They were the pellets used for the 10 round group and chrono results in my post. You are right, they are deadly on ground squirrels! Are hunting photos allowed in the PCP section or should they only be in the hunting forum?

If you primarily want a PCP for hunting use on small game, this is tough to beat. I have a Marauder .25 PCP, an EVOL 22, EVOL 30, and a FX Maverick with 25/30 barrels. For a walking around and stalking small game airgun, this is the best of the lot. If you are primarily using it for target use or hunting from a fixed location, I would get a side lever PCP with a magazine. 

I forgot to add in the original post, I also installed a WIKA 300 bar pressure gauge as a mod.

A couple more photos from the areas I put the Leshiy Classic to use.

IMG_4943.1630422794.jpeg

IMG_5002.1630422858.jpeg

IMG_4996.1630422898.jpeg

Beautiful country!!! Now I'm jealous of your PCP and location....

I decided on the Trijicon TA33 ACOG. 

IMG_4882.1630420237.jpeg

I just looked up the eye relief on that ACOG & I'm only finding 1.9" eye relief. Are you really able to have it mounted that far forward? Or is there a model I'm missing with more eye relief? 

Always looking for more options for my Classic Leshiy. I hike rugged terrain nearly every day so scopes that can be mounted forward of the hinge point are appreciated. Every inch in the pack counts. 

By the way, if that stock grip feels a bit short @Towle has a 3D print file for an extension. Or you can buy extensions on Ebay. 

The actual eye relief is much greater than the published eye relief for the TA33, do a search on forums. It is probably close to 4 inches! The eye relief is perfect as setup on my Leshiy. I have 4 TA33s, they have a narrow field of view that some people hate. However, it actually makes the BAC aiming easier, has clear optics, and is VERY lightweight. I like the field of view and overall image better with the TA11 ACOGs but for lighter weight applications the TA33 is the one to have IMO.

The actual eye relief is much greater than the published eye relief for the TA33, do a search on forums. It is probably close to 4 inches! The eye relief is perfect as setup on my Leshiy. I have 4 TA33s, they have a narrow field of view that some people hate. However, it actually makes the BAC aiming easier, has clear optics, and is VERY lightweight. I like the field of view and overall image better with the TA11 ACOGs but for lighter weight applications the TA33 is the one to have IMO.

The narrow FOV at 3x did jump out at me. But thank you for the information. Intriguing.