Leshiy Classic .22 High Power Tuning???

1588606248_15805451065eb03528334434.92671227.jpeg

All of my setting at 125 bar, except for the .30 setup, keep the hammer spring under 20 clicks CCW from zero. To get the ~60fpe with the .30 I crank it up to 28 clicks. 

I tried 140bar to see if there was any benefit. After cranking up the HS to get up to speed it was clear there was no benefit to getting more power - the platform hits a practical limit and then it's just blowing extra air. I got the .30 up to 70fpe but it was horrible to shoot.

Regarding the slugs - unless you get a slug barrel I wouldn't bother. I've tried the 15.5 gr .177 slugs and they just don't hold a tight group.

That's crazy! Can you describe "horrible to shoot"?

I think where the Leshiy meets its practical limit is in the arm hinge. Think about it - it only takes so much force from the side to crack the Leshiy for cocking. Your moment arm in that motion breaks the Leshiy is a very efficient manner which takes little force. There is also a moment arm applying force on that same hinge lock when you fire the gun; however. it's coming from a much less efficient direction. This force, when firing, causes the Leshiy to flex some at the hinge which in turn pulls your shots to the left. 

There are two scenarios I've had the above become less than manageable:

1. Going past the first hump on the HS/Reg curve, increasing valve dwell and releasing a ton of air very inefficiently.
  2. Turning the reg up to 140-150 bar and trying to tune the Leshiy for max fpe. 
    [/LIST=1]

Even when shooting the .30 caliber at 60fpe I still need to pull the Leshiy in tight to my shoulder with my forehand. For this reason, I find something like the PTS Fortis Shift Short grip works great. It lets you hook a finger and really tuck the gun in while keeping a light grip and trigger finger.

Yep, like I said before, when you push a Leshiy, and it will do it, it goes from a sweet PCP to feeling like a springer. Is it worth it? That’s up to the owner. For big power in a small package, there are other options in the bullpup line. And they behave when you push 25 grains at 900fps. When shooting pellets, I like to tune my Leshiy right on the edge of where it starts getting too jumpy and like ctshooter says, pulling badly to the left.

It's kind of funny how you guys mentioned this (Pulling to the left). I had my Leshiy set up to shoot rats at around 13 fpe but I've pretty much wiped them out from around the house. I just increased my HST to 29 fpe, about 850 fps w/18.13gr., 250mm and I also noticed that if I don't shoulder it tight, my shots go to the left. Damn! I need to get a 350mm barrel in both .22 and .25

When I first got mine the hinge would open if I set it too high. Brian sent me a heavy duty spring that solved that.

Well, i guess i will reach out to Brian. lol. thank you.

It's kind of funny how you guys mentioned this (Pulling to the left). I had my Leshiy set up to shoot rats at around 13 fpe but I've pretty much wiped them out from around the house. I just increased my HST to 29 fpe, about 850 fps w/18.13gr., 250mm and I also noticed that if I don't shoulder it tight, my shots go to the left. Damn! I need to get a 350mm barrel in both .22 and .25

Do you really change out the caliber on your Leshiy without having to play around with the Plenum and Trigger each time? As the weights of the pellets / slugs completely change. No sarcasm, serious question :)

Do you really change out the caliber on your Leshiy without having to play around with the Plenum and Trigger each time? As the weights of the pellets / slugs completely change. No sarcasm, serious question :)

Plenum and trigger - which airgun do you need to mess with the trigger when you change pellet weight?

But, to answer the question. Yeah, it really is that simple. Swap out the barrel is two screws on the side of the Leshiy, less than 1 minute work. Adjust the HS for the new caliber and you're ready to rock, aside from adjusting the scope. If you keep the reg in the 125-130 bar range you can pretty efficiently tune for most projectiles.

Plenum and trigger - which airgun do you need to mess with the trigger when you change pellet weight?

But, to answer the question. Yeah, it really is that simple. Swap out the barrel is two screws on the side of the Leshiy, less than 1 minute work. Adjust the HS for the new caliber and you're ready to rock, aside from adjusting the scope. If you keep the reg in the 125-130 bar range you can pretty efficiently tune for most projectiles.

My bad I meant regulator and trigger or rather hammer weight. My understanding (very novice) was that when you change weight of a projectile (which I assumed going from .22 to .25 weight would change enough) that you had to find a sweet spot of balance between regulator pressure and hammer weight. That is why I asked. Just trying to learn. 

thank you 

Ah - gotcha. Reg and hammer spring tension makes more sense. 

Unless you are trying to tune for a specific projectile. 120-130 bar will keep you in a nice place. Adjusting the hammer spring is super easy - now Brian and Ed have said you can't take the number of clicks and translate them across guns, but for one specific gun if you keep track of the number of counter-clockwise clicks from zero for a specific tune you can get back to that setting quite reliably. 

Reactions: JaceSpace1369