• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Leshiy Classic .22 350mm Huma Regulator Tune Question

Hey Guys,

Just purchased a used Leshiy classic. Previous owner had it setup to 700fps stock regulator and jsb 16gr but only getting 15-18 shots. 

I'm looking to take this gun backpacking and into the woods. I'm primarily looking to pest (squirrel being the largest) at 30-40yrds and plink/target up to 50yrds.I was hoping for a more realistic shot count of around 40+. Plan to fill from 68ci ninja tank while out. With the 22 barrel and 350mm length what's the highest you could set the smaller huma regulator to and still get 40+ shots ? Would you need to drop sub 600fps ? Is this regulator swap out a big job if you wanted to change back to oem after ?

Can the regulator be set at all over 12ft/lb ?

Before I purchase the kit I want to confirm I can find a sweet spot of around 600-650fps or roughly 12.5-15fpe.

Thanks

Hi Ryan

Yes, your desirable results are obtainable. Here's an old shot string I dug up

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.11.33 PM.1645665104.png

Hope this helps!

-Michael

Camps23 you might have the original Edgun regulator. Michael's posted shot string used the standard Huma reg.

The original Edgun regulator is bigger than the Huma as you can see below. Standard Huma on the left, Edgun on the right.

regs.1645665809.jpg

There is also a newer Edgun regulator that I believe came out late in the product cycle of the Classic Leshiy. On the Spanish Edgun Shop site I think they call it the compact.

But I wouldn't worry about all that. 17 shots sounds a bit low with the long barrel at 700 FPS, even with the regulator taking up more room.

Use a 6mm hex and turn the HST clockwise and count the number of clicks before it bottoms out. You can always turn it back so you're not messing anything up. 

When I got my first Classic Leshiy the owner was having trouble with shot count and had the HST turned up way past the first velocity peak. I'm still not sure exactly why. But it was wasting a lot of air.

Hopefully that's what's going on with yours so post back how many clicks of the HST you count to get to zero.

By the way, when I say clockwise I mean in the direction as if you were looking at the HST adjuster. 

I'll post a tuning chart in another post.

Ok ya I'm totally blind to what regulator is installed besides knowing its the original that came with the gun. It is a Gen2 Classic with digital gauge if that helps.

I'm looking to purchase the reg below.... I believe lol. I will count the clicks next week when the gun finally arrives.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/huma-air-edgun-leshiy-12-ft-lbs-hft-regulator-tuni.html

What are your FPE goals? 

[EDIT] Sorry, you listed your goals in the original post. I was multi tasking and helping my boys with their homework.

Swapping the reg out is pretty easy. You'll need an extra poppet to cut down for the shorter plenum.

I think you can reach those goals with the sub-12 and looking at Michael's string probably even higher than 650 FPS.

Correct, my tune was with the Huma reg (and a 250b fill). Thought I read that somewhere in your post.

Scouty is correct, if you desire to shoot an even lower velocity the 12 FPE huma reg would work too. It'll give you even more volume, but you will have to modify the poppet (I thought it was called a valve stem). Whichever route you take keep in mind that the regulator should be doing most of the work, not the hammer. The hammer should be set to have just enough power to open the valve.

My goal was 20 FPE so I could confidently take pests out to 50+ yards. 

Have fun, the Leshiy Classic is a really fun airgun to tinker with!

Correct, my tune was with the Huma reg (and a 250b fill). Thought I read that somewhere in your post.

Scouty is correct, if you desire to shoot an even lower velocity the 12 FPE huma reg would work too. It'll give you even more volume, but you will have to modify the poppet (I thought it was called a valve stem). Whichever route you take keep in mind that the regulator should be doing most of the work, not the hammer. The hammer should be set to have just enough power to open the valve.

My goal was 20 FPE so I could confidently take pests out to 50+ yards. 

Have fun, the Leshiy Classic is a really fun airgun to tinker with!

Oh ok did know there was a reg huma valve as well as the 12ft/lb version. That’s where I was confused. Does anyone know if you can adjust much over the 12ft/lb 600psi mark with 16gr ?. I would like a middle ground tune. 15fpe/650fps with 16gr and 40+ shots. Which reg… low tune huma or reg huma ??

Everyone is putting the cart ahead of the horse and bustin out credit cards. First, did you do a proper Leshiy tune? If you didn’t we have Zero data. At what speed did your gun peak? What did your gauge say when your velocity took a nose dive? The Huma reg is not worth a ton of shots. It gives a couple more but it isn’t in there performing miracles. Something is amiss if you’re only getting 18 shots with 16’s going 700. And lastly, fill the thing to 300b. I’ve been doing it since 2017 and it’s not hard on the gun. Trust me, Ed knows what he’s doing. If you don’t know how to tune a Leshiy, visit Brian’s website. I’m sure he has to have a video on how to do it. 

I just put a new sub-12 reg in one of my Leshiys. 22/350 barrel.

I did not install the stock black plenum spacer as I'm not worried about a true sub-12 rifle and it sounds like you aren't either.

I took around 25 break in shots which probably isn't enough if my last sub-12 regulator is any indication.

Very quickly tuned it to about 95% of the first velocity peak and re-filled. My tank is low so I couldn't fill my Leshiy above 200 bar. At this point it was shooting the CPHP 14.3 around 820 FPS, or 21 foot pounds. This jives with what I remember about my previous experiences with this regulator and no plenum spacer.

I got 15 decent shots from just under 200 bar to just over 120 bar and then got a small spike at shot 16 and two slower shots on 17 and 18.

Low speed was 803, high was 821.

So I was probably using around 5 bar per shot. Michael's tune with the standard regulator seemed to do slightly better. 

The new gauge on this Leshiy and the gauge on my fill assembly were pretty close so there is a chance the sticker on the regulator is off slightly as it seemed to go off reg above 120 bar. I do not have a regulator tester. I suspect I can do better with a lower reg setting and more break in time.

Camps I believe you said squirrel up to 40 yards. I think a 14 grain pellet at around 20 FPE would be great. My 22 barrels have shot the 14 grain JSBs well in the past.

But I also agree with Vetmx. Get the rifle in your hands first before you start spending any money. If I could go back to my first Leshiy I would have preferred to buy a chronograph before a new regulator.

I agree I'm getting ahead of myself. When I was told a 15-18 shot count I started freaking out and trying to figure out the best way to get that increased lol. I purchased the gun for the mobility and fun in the bush. Not so much fun with 18shots @ 17.5fpe and didn't know how to mobile fill at the time. Since then I have purchased a 68/4500 tank for mobile fills and learning as we speak about all these regulator options. Even if I can tune the Leshiy better then previous owner it still won't get me over 35-40 shots, atleast from all the reading I have been doing.

I still don't know which huma, 12ft/lb or regular would be best for the 15fpe to 23fpe max I'm looking for. Huma site says 21fpe is max for the 12ft/lb.....

I will try my best to tune with original regulator and see how far I can get. I don't plan to fill the gun past 260b/3800psi. Previous owner only filled to 220b so that will bump shot count up as is.

90% of my shooting would be at the 15fpe with the occasional bump up over the 20fpe mark.

Camps23 here is a tuning chart put together by user @Jack.K that I found some time ago.

Note that every Leshiy might be slightly different and that he used the standard Huma regulator for these results. I don't shoot the 15.89 pellets out of my 22/350 barrel much but the little time I have has been pretty close. Not in terms of clicks but rather the power I was able to generate at any given Bar setting.

Leshiy tune 2.1646183329.jpg

Note that Micheal's tune was with the 18 grain and he was getting 21 FPE.

Jack.K's tune at the same setting of 80 bar was also producing 21 FPE, albeit with a lighter pellet at a faster speed.

I wouldn't use Jack's chart to determine HST clicks but rather as a starting point of what you can expect for power, shot per bar, power per bar, etc.