Tuning Leshiy 2 Power Jets Range for Lower Power

I got my Leshiy 2 Sparrow model in .25 caliber with 250 mm barrel and 300 cc bottle about a month ago. My use will be for short range pesting out to 50 yards. I have been shooting various pellet for groups and accuracy but wanted to use the H&N FTT.25 at 20 grains to maintain a flatter trajectory and to loose power faster for down range safety. I wanted to be shooting the 20 grainer for about 750 fps or 25 fpe. I have achieved that velocity but accuracy falls off after about 40 yards. My Leshiy 2 has two .4 power jets so my thinking was maybe my valve is staying open a little too long creating air turbulence behind the pellet. My question is what power jet range would be good to work with that lower power tune level. Thanks Bill

I can’t answer your question directly but please be aware that a jet (restrictor) does not alter valve dwell in any meaningful way. Granted, a more restrictive jet will reduce the volume of air being expelled behind the pellet as it leaves the muzzle...but it isn’t doing much to influence how long the valve is open so it isn’t getting to the root of it.

With that said, my experience with the .25 cal FTTs lead me to believe they may not hold the potential for 50 yard duty. They have never given me sufficient accuracy for pest control past 30 yards or so from any of about a dozen different guns. Could be I simply got a bad batch but I doubt I will be spending money on them again just to find out.

I can’t answer your question directly but please be aware that a jet (restrictor) does not alter valve dwell in any meaningful way. Granted, a more restrictive jet will reduce the volume of air being expelled behind the pellet as it leaves the muzzle...but it isn’t doing much to influence how long the valve is open so it isn’t getting to the root of it.

With that said, my experience with the .25 cal FTTs lead me to believe they may not hold the potential for 50 yard duty. They have never given me sufficient accuracy for pest control past 30 yards or so from any of about a dozen different guns. Could be I simply got a bad batch but I doubt I will be spending money on them again just to find out.

You may be right about the H&N FTT not being the best for longer ranges maybe because of their light weight and b.c. I also tried JSB 25.4 grain, H&N Hunters, Baracudas, AA 25.4's and JSB Hades and at 50 yards the groups ranges from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2 ". Maybe pushing them in the 750 fps to 780 fps range is not fast enough for the twist rate. However the JSB 34's shot very well like 1/2" to 3/4" only going at 720 fps for 39 fpe. I was told the barrel I have has a larger land and groove size requiring a large head and skirt diameter to engage the rifling thus why the JSB 34's shoot the best. In addition to finding the best accuracy I want to not waste air thus my question about the power jets. The EdgunLeshiyShop has an excellent write up on the general use and selection of the power jets and is worth a read. I was just hoping someone here was running their Leshiy 2 on a lower power configuration could share their power jet set up. Bill

https://www.edgunleshiy.shop/collections/power-jets/products/leshiy-2-power-jets

I would try the lowest regulator setting with the smallest jet sizes you have. Let’s say 80 bar gets you 800fps with the small jets. Then go biggger on the jet sizes until the velocity drops to where you want it . If the reg pressure doesn’t get you the speed at 80 bar , go up 10 bar at a time until you’re goal is reached.

Yes reading the best configuration information on the EdgunLeshiyShop site regarding the power jets is what you describe to find out the maximum power/energy potential for a given regulator pressure. They say to use a pair on the smallest jet at 0.1 diameter. What I am wanting to achieve is the most efficient use of air for the velocity I want for the short 250 mm barrel. From past information regarding achieving efficiency with short barrels it has been to set your regulator to a higher pressure so when the hammer hits the valve it will give a fast burst of air. Since the Leshiy 2 does not use a hammer I was not sure if the same principle applied. My thought was to use a higher regulator pressure with larger jets to close the valve sooner. I ordered from the Edgun Leshiy Shop the high power kit which has five pairs of jets from 0.2 to 0.6 along with on 1.0 jet. I figured that collection of nozzles would allow me to go to high power with the pair of 0.2's or lower power with quicker valve closing with the 1.0 and a 0.6 diameter hole. Right now the rifle has two 0.4 jets. I do have a 350 mm barrel on order mainly so I can get my Huma 30 moderator to clear the hand guard so I can use the M Lok slots. Here are a few pictures of my Leshiy 2 with some 3d printed bling. I also use a product called Plasti Dip which is a rubberized spray paint to cover the red butt pads. Another addition was the gluing of a black neodymium magnet to a magazine holder to retain the magazine cover plate when loading. Bill

IMG_20211224_134529.1640373966.jpg
IMG_20211224_134540.1640373967.jpg
IMG_20211224_134616.1640373968.jpg
IMG_20211224_134701.1640373969.jpg

Hobbyman2007, could you please explain why you are recommending going with the lowestreg reg setting and smallest jet size? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to understand your thought process for L2 efficiency.

Robert

Edgun West just put out this low power adjustment video. Like for 12 fpe set-ups. It seems in the video if you want to go with a low regulator pressure of 60 bar you would need to use two of the smaller 0.20 jets in order to get more air to the valve for the rifle to function at such a low regulator pressure. I still think if you are going with a 'medium' power tune say in the 20's fpe range and higher regulator pressure that you could use power jet pairs above the provided 0.4 pairs to close the valve a little faster as to not waste air. That is at least what I will be trying in the near future to get just the right amount of air to say push a JSB 15.89 down the barrel at say 840 fps but what do I know. Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UDeqJYXXk&ab_channel=EDgunWest