Leshiy 2 explodes

Hi Ed, a quick question why are some parts made like this

Screenshot_20230503_073406_DuckDuckGo.jpg

And some parts made like this? They have the exact same pressure rating? Not challenging you, just asking the question.

Screenshot_20230503_073530_DuckDuckGo.jpg

View attachment 353280

And some parts made like this? They have the exact same pressure rating? Not challenging you, just asking the question.

View attachment 353281
Good luck with that question… I’ve asked twice and so have other folks on here. It’s just being ignored by Ed. I think the significant differences give a lot of doubt as to the QC in the manufacturing process. In any precision product it is manufactured to exacting tolerances (one would expect) Is it such a complex question to answer by the manufacturer ?? because there clearly is a massive difference here. Ed kindly answer us please.

Guys would you please stop hounding the guy?

I have read ASME this and ASME that and no one considered that the 3,5 factor is for:
Power Boilers (not it)
Nuclear (not it)
Transport Tanks (not it)
Pressure Vessels (a huge maybe)

Why is the last one a huge maybe? Because I've worked with the government (mine not American) and I can assure you that these definitions can be either really broad or really narrow depending on the person asking for the information. If you ask one person a pressure vessel is a PCP air tank and if you ask another they would find a million reasons why this is not the case. Usually it's the size, material, or something silly that no one would even think off.

I have worked in the medical field and all of our public purchases of medical equipment always used those loopholes to get the products they wanted into the house and eliminate the rest. Fixating on this 3,5 ratio is pointless unless someone can show the proof that it also includes our rifles. Since my rifle was purchased in Spain I highly doubt that it would go through customs and other import requirements if this was something shady.

What I would like to know is how gentle I need to be with the rifle and bumping by buttstock on anything. That's about it. Although you're too fixated on ED and not fixated enough on the guy reporting it as I sure as heck wouldn't be "hey guys my gun blew up, all good, nothing to see here". From my experience this usually means some shenanigans was involved and the person knows really well why it blew up and it was not the guns fault.

I don't agree with EDs political views or his manner of speaking but the guy makes good guns and I'm not expecting it to just blow up. Even if this would happen massively someone would post it somewhere and we would know about it. But hey don't let common sense prevail and roast either ED or Marko. Or better yet do both. Jeez guys.

Also congrats on activating a long time lurker.
Now you can also flame me if you wish. I'll go get some chips (I hate popcorn as it gets into your teeth).

Reactions: sniperuk
This thread is so long and not sure if I've ever read it but ;

.....What actually happened to the gun when exploded ? was it ever mentioned ?

did it explode when filling ? was it dropped from a window ?

what was the actually circumstance that made the gun break ?
He said he was shooting it when it happened, but had winter gear on so he came away "shaken not stirred". He also said he didn't blame Edgun. That's about all the info I've seen from him.

You analyze not the real cut, but the screenshot of the part, made not perpendicular. Look, I just open it in the editor and make the horizontal line, you see it doesn't match the corners. Now have a look at the "steps" and just imagine (in case the shape is really like that) what tool and by what process it could be made, taking into consideration that it is the revolving detail. :) That is just artefact of the image. You can ask Marko to make a normal picture of it. Plus to it, there are, looks like, burrs on the part, he didn't remove them by polishing as I did and as you can see at the bottom screenshot.

Marco's cut.jpg

For flat bottom we use that kind of drill.

Flat bottom drill.jpeg

Good luck with that question… I’ve asked twice and so have other folks on here. It’s just being ignored by Ed. I think the significant differences give a lot of doubt as to the QC in the manufacturing process. In any precision product it is manufactured to exacting tolerances (one would expect) Is it such a complex question to answer by the manufacturer ?? because there clearly is a massive difference here. Ed kindly answer us please.
Have I ignored it? Well, I am sorry if I gave you a chance to think that I ignore the "unakward" questoins. I just, really, didn't see it. Anyhow, as I've just said -- imagine if it is a real geometry, how revolving part could be made with such steps, moved in one side, though they should be simmetry from the center of the revolving. Do you get what I mean?

Guys would you please stop hounding the guy?

I have read ASME this and ASME that and no one considered that the 3,5 factor is for:
Power Boilers (not it)
Nuclear (not it)
Transport Tanks (not it)
Pressure Vessels (a huge maybe)

Why is the last one a huge maybe? Because I've worked with the government (mine not American) and I can assure you that these definitions can be either really broad or really narrow depending on the person asking for the information. If you ask one person a pressure vessel is a PCP air tank and if you ask another they would find a million reasons why this is not the case. Usually it's the size, material, or something silly that no one would even think off.

I have worked in the medical field and all of our public purchases of medical equipment always used those loopholes to get the products they wanted into the house and eliminate the rest. Fixating on this 3,5 ratio is pointless unless someone can show the proof that it also includes our rifles. Since my rifle was purchased in Spain I highly doubt that it would go through customs and other import requirements if this was something shady.

What I would like to know is how gentle I need to be with the rifle and bumping by buttstock on anything. That's about it. Although you're too fixated on ED and not fixated enough on the guy reporting it as I sure as heck wouldn't be "hey guys my gun blew up, all good, nothing to see here". From my experience this usually means some shenanigans was involved and the person knows really well why it blew up and it was not the guns fault.

I don't agree with EDs political views or his manner of speaking but the guy makes good guns and I'm not expecting it to just blow up. Even if this would happen massively someone would post it somewhere and we would know about it. But hey don't let common sense prevail and roast either ED or Marko. Or better yet do both. Jeez guys.

Also congrats on activating a long time lurker.
Now you can also flame me if you wish. I'll go get some chips (I hate popcorn as it gets into your teeth).

You are absolutely right and that is what I've tried to bring to :) The different high pressure revervoirs have different requirements for calculation and design and different requirement for safety, including the coeficient. And for the reservoirs with the volume less than 1 liter they are different rather than to huge tubes. The same with the standard 6.8 liter tanks, the working pressure 300 bar, test pressure 450 bar, the same as for any air reservoirs for PCP guns. And asking why not 3.5 coeficient that is just... Well, you got it. As we joke here, all those profeccional virusologyst now turned to be the war profeccioanls...

This thread is so long and not sure if I've ever read it but ;

.....What actually happened to the gun when exploded ? was it ever mentioned ?

did it explode when filling ? was it dropped from a window ?

what was the actually circumstance that made the gun break ?

Nobody knows, the expertise is ordered (by they way it cost me 200'000 roubles, about 2'500 USD) and it will be made by the special criminal experts in Moscow, State experts, not the private ones. I do hope they will answer all the questions.

Give us the 3D mesh and information to run the SIMULATIONS.
That's for both Ed and Marco.
I'm not sure the programs they are using are all that fantastic.
Kind of like useing MS Paint when you need Adobe PhotoShop.
You are asking about the 3D models and don't say what programm are you going to use and what math model for simulatoin? Are proffecional in what you are asking?

OK, guys, I am about to leave for goose hunting, then to abroad trip and in the best case will come back towards the end of May. So, having not hearing me here for next couple weeks or more don't think I am hiding :) Nobody can force me to avoid fight, I just love it! When I get the experts' conclusions I will share it with you.

You analyze not the real cut, but the screenshot of the part, made not perpendicular. Look, I just open it in the editor and make the horizontal line, you see it doesn't match the corners. Now have a look at the "steps" and just imagine (in case the shape is really like that) what tool and by what process it could be made, taking into consideration that it is the revolving detail. :) That is just artefact of the image. You can ask Marko to make a normal picture of it. Plus to it, there are, looks like, burrs on the part, he didn't remove them by polishing as I did and as you can see at the bottom screenshot.

View attachment 353378

For flat bottom we use that kind of drill.

View attachment 353398

Have I ignored it? Well, I am sorry if I gave you a chance to think that I ignore the "unakward" questoins. I just, really, didn't see it. Anyhow, as I've just said -- imagine if it is a real geometry, how revolving part could be made with such steps, moved in one side, though they should be simmetry from the center of the revolving. Do you get what I mean?

You are absolutely right and that is what I've tried to bring to :) The different high pressure revervoirs have different requirements for calculation and design and different requirement for safety, including the coeficient. And for the reservoirs with the volume less than 1 liter they are different rather than to huge tubes. The same with the standard 6.8 liter tanks, the working pressure 300 bar, test pressure 450 bar, the same as for any air reservoirs for PCP guns. And asking why not 3.5 coeficient that is just... Well, you got it. As we joke here, all those profeccional virusologyst now turned to be the war profeccioanls...

Nobody knows, the expertise is ordered (by they way it cost me 200'000 roubles, about 2'500 USD) and it will be made by the special criminal experts in Moscow, State experts, not the private ones. I do hope they will answer all the questions.

You are asking about the 3D models and don't say what programm are you going to use and what math model for simulatoin? Are proffecional in what you are asking?

OK, guys, I am about to leave for goose hunting, then to abroad trip and in the best case will come back towards the end of May. So, having not hearing me here for next couple weeks or more don't think I am hiding :) Nobody can force me to avoid fight, I just love it! When I get the experts' conclusions I will share it with you.
I don’t know if it’s lost in translation or deliberately playing emperors clothes .. here is my extremely Crude image- one tube has a nice amount of meat around the base forming a radius - the failed flat bottomed tube does not (irrespective of your nonsensical explanation above). I’ve crudely drawn to demonstrate because I am exhausted how to ask further why their are tube differences as shown!
Now can someone point out if I’m being utterly thick here or just treated like a fool

IMG_9970.jpeg

IMG_9971.jpeg

I don’t know if it’s lost in translation or deliberately playing emperors clothes .. here is my extremely Crude image- one tube has a nice amount of meat around the base forming a radius - the failed flat bottomed tube does not (irrespective of your nonsensical explanation above). I’ve crudely drawn to demonstrate because I am exhausted how to ask further why their are tube differences as shown!
Now can someone point out if I’m being utterly thick here or just treated like a fool

View attachment 353408

View attachment 353409
THIS, it isn't simply a matter of different profile of drill/mill. They are obviously a different depth! One has way less meat!

The one that's tested to 500 bar and shot is different than the one that Marko cut in half. Is that a happy accident?

Anyways I have no doubt you'll share the results when you get them.

Last edited:
Finally had schedules working and got the cylinder parts analyzed.
It is 2024 or equivalent alloy, so in composition should be what Ed says it is.

Material composition, measured with Hitachi Vulcan material analyzer. I can't tell you the temper / aging characteristics.
That would require stress testing and hardness test.
With correct material specs the simulation shows the cylinder should hold everywhere else but at the corner there is a stress riser above the yield strength. But below ultimate tensile strength so the cylinder wont rupture by pressure.

But what about outside force, Like dropping the gun it might cause a fracture in the stress riser and cause a failure later on.

Nonlinear simulation as the material yields.
Simulated at 30Mpa / 300bar
Safety margin 3-6 everywhere else and at the corner 0.794

This is my findings on my limited equipment and crappy Autodesk software under powered computer that calculates the simulations in the cloud.
But at least I have done something other than running my mouth.

Marko

@MJP things are bad enough, do you really feel it necessary to stir the pot? When is enough enough?
Post your findings as you see fit, we all appreciate it, but the extraneous comments ain't any form of help.
Ed said he would be back in a month or so and notes can be compared then.

Oh so you don't mind when ED trolls this situation, but you do mind Marko does? Strange world we live in, strange world indeed.

Oh so you don't mind when ED trolls this situation, but you do mind Marko does? Strange world we live in, strange world indeed.
I haven't seen Ed troll much of anyone. I have seen him respond to the ones trolling him. Plus the the translation issues.
Since this was brought to our attention, I have seen very little in regards to patience, actual information, and personal integrity. I have seen ALOT of mudslinging and armchair quarterbacking.
If you people have a friggin grievance, TAKE IT TO PM and keep it out of the thread so the wheat ain't lost in the friggin chaff!
How hard is it to act like adults? I see this poop and the credibility of the posters drops exponentially.
Leave the thread alone unless something valid pertaining to the situation needs to be posted.

Reactions: elwoodblues
Finally had schedules working and got the cylinder parts analyzed.
It is 2024 or equivalent alloy, so in composition should be what Ed says it is.

Material composition, measured with Hitachi Vulcan material analyzer. I can't tell you the temper / aging characteristics.
That would require stress testing and hardness test.
With correct material specs the simulation shows the cylinder should hold everywhere else but at the corner there is a stress riser above the yield strength. But below ultimate tensile strength so the cylinder wont rupture by pressure.

But what about outside force, Like dropping the gun it might cause a fracture in the stress riser and cause a failure later on.

Nonlinear simulation as the material yields.
Simulated at 30Mpa / 300bar
Safety margin 3-6 everywhere else and at the corner 0.794

This is my findings on my limited equipment and crappy Autodesk software under powered computer that calculates the simulations in the cloud.
But at least I have done something other than running my mouth.

Marko
Does .794 safety factor at the corner mean that it will not even hold at the rated pressure? Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Dave