Leshiy 2 explodes

Exceeding Bob Sterns lofty goal is easy because his calculation assumes only 50% of the barrel volume is used before the valve no longer produces usable air to the further increase velocity of the projectile, but with SHORTER barrels this is far from the truth....its a awful calculation that I personally vastly improved upon that takes barrel length into consideration among other factors.

Marko is a smart guy.
Yup I dont like Sterns diagrams eather but Marko is 5/5

“Well thats good since he is honest guy and he has zero motivation to do anything else than hand out truth. I personally dont trust manufacturer in such case. Im sure he will post followings in near future since he have alrdy posted some more results in our own national forum.”

Is Marko on this forum? It’s been a while since I’ve seen him on the other forum.

Dave

The most frustrating thing to me is the defensive wall people throw up when talking about this issue. Regardless of how much you love your L2, or the Edgun as a brand as a whole, this has to be looked into as thoroughly as possible. And not handwaved away. Your head is leaning right up against ~300 bars of pressure.

Even if this incident is 1 in 10.000, that doesn't matter. The L2 hasn't been around for all that long yet. Sometimes it can take years for a major flaw to come to light. As these guns age and experience some wear and tear, these incidents could become more frequent. Not saying it will, but everyone stands to benefit from this being tested by multiple parties. And the results should speak for themselves.

I'm probably gonna retire my L2 for the time being. I don't like to take chances, and I have plenty of other PCP to shoot and enjoy.

Last edited:
Despite of all the idiotismus of the situation in the world, luckely, normal people are still makes their jobs normally and finally I got the parts from Dave (thanks to the post offices both UK and Russia). There are long hollidays in Russia begins (1st of May, then Victory over the facism day) and after 10th of May the parts will be sent to the special labaratory with the very qualiffied experts to find out what was wrong. As soon as I get the result I will, no doubt, share it with you.
L2 remains..jpeg

I think he is graduated.
Woohoo!

Good to see some progress Ed :)
The fact that the individual actually came through and sent the parts over shows that it wasn't just a BS story as some have suggested. If it was, they would never go through the effort and risk being found out from the test results. I'm glad people are looking into it.

After seeing MP's video of that corner relief, and the distance between it and the sharp edged wall inside the air tube, I am NOT surprised there was a failure. Two big no-nos that should see 12,000 new parts shipped out to existing customers...I think the location and mode of failure is evident after that reveal and examining the failure even closer, you can see where it sheared near said corner relief...

The distance wasn't measured in the video between the corner relief and the sharp inner edge of the air tube, but it appeared to be as little as 1-2MM...that is very little metal hanging onto a LOT of force (roughly 20,000 lbs being applied to the end of that tube... at 4500 psi) I don't care how impeccable your machining skills or equipment is, that margin is way to low, should be far more meat on that bone...

I would not be putting any L2's up to my face, very serious matter, beautiful gun or not.

Yes I'm on this forum now,
Have been taking distance from forums and concentrating on other stuff.

I was concerned about the images of the blown up L2 and needed to see the design myself.

I have no other motive in this matter than safety of my friends and fellow airgunners.

So I hydro tested the gun for information, and sadly the results are not to my liking.
At 470bar the results where showing that the reservoir is starting to yield and it was necessary to retest with higher pressure.
At around 570bar yielding is more easily observed.
After that as the tube is compromised I ran it with 720bar that is maximum the pump was able to achieve.
Reservoir went from 36.55mm to 36.83mm.

Only material that I would consider for aluminum airtube for 300bar is 7075 T6 that yields at 503Mpa and should have held the 720bar without ever yielding.

This tube started to yield at 470bar that is 20bar over normal safety inspection hydro testing pressure for 300bar systems.

You take it as it is, I just give out the information to everyone to consider.

Marko

Yes I'm on this forum now,
Have been taking distance from forums and concentrating on other stuff.

I was concerned about the images of the blown up L2 and needed to see the design myself.

I have no other motive in this matter than safety of my friends and fellow airgunners.

So I hydro tested the gun for information, and sadly the results are not to my liking.
At 470bar the results where showing that the reservoir is starting to yield and it was necessary to retest with higher pressure.
At around 570bar yielding is more easily observed.
After that as the tube is compromised I ran it with 720bar that is maximum the pump was able to achieve.
Reservoir went from 36.55mm to 36.83mm.

Only material that I would consider for aluminum airtube for 300bar is 7075 T6 that yields at 503Mpa and should have held the 720bar without ever yielding.

This tube started to yield at 470bar that is 20bar over normal safety inspection hydro testing pressure for 300bar systems.

You take it as it is, I just give out the information to everyone to consider.

Marko

What worries me is when I put in the #'s into Barlow's formula for aluminum alloy 6061, it predicts the yield at roughly 400~ bar. I find his calculations on the under more often than over. Nonetheless.. Unacceptable on a 2k$+ gun if this is the allow used.

Reactions: Huckleberry
6061 barstock yields at 276Mpa about and 3mm wall 36.5mm cylinder yields around 45.3Mpa or 453bar and that is very close to the results I got from the testing.

Looking at the failed cylinder crack propagation line I would venture a guess that it failed from the bottom. And the smashed thread portion supports that guess as it seems to have hit going forward rounding the corner of the sliver of cylinder.

But that's just my educated guess.

Marko

Reactions: Huckleberry
Supplier, subcontractor possibilities are endless.
All the mission critical materials need to verified and with a material certificate, batch and melt number known. So any failures can be traced in the supply chain.

This is why I dont use aluminum for the airtubes, only the ends can be alu, thread will hold even on slightly inferior material. But the tube, it ages as it expands and contracts and it slowly looses it strength.
Aircraft material suppliers and still I test a tube to my pumps max. It's good enough for me on steel.

Marko

Marko's information is interesting and I am grateful he went to the trouble to generate the data and make it available. It does raise a serious issue with Ed's claim of 800 bar tests of each batch of material. It also suggests a safety factor lower than we would like to see. But it doesn't explain why an air tube ruptured presumably at 300 bar. If I understand his test, his sample did not rupture at over 700bar. It would have to be a SERIOUS overfill to get into the 700 bar range. I still think there is something else. Perhaps a flaw in the material or in the machining. Or un-noticed damage.

Marko's information is interesting and I am grateful he went to the trouble to generate the data and make it available. It does raise a serious issue with Ed's claim of 800 bar tests of each batch of material. It also suggests a safety factor lower than we would like to see. But it doesn't explain why an air tube ruptured presumably at 300 bar. If I understand his test, his sample did not rupture at over 700bar. It would have to be a SERIOUS overfill to get into the 700 bar range. I still think there is something else. Perhaps a flaw in the material or in the machining. Or un-noticed damage.
From the safety perspective the yield point of the material is all that matters. It was achieved at around 470 bars. If you consider aging, thousands of pressurization and depressurization cycles - the safety margin seems to be pretty small.

As of the explosion - the case seems to be different there but who knows.

Does Ed's claim include the Leshiys assembled in Spain and now in the US?
They are being assembled in the US now? How long has this been going on? I got my leshiy 2 weeks ago and it had none of the russia markings like the original leshiy 2 it was the leshiy2 logo with the scope all in English. I'm assuming I got one of the US made ones?