Leshiy 2 explodes

That filter just doesn't work well on a gun with a larger air tube like my Blitz if you are using a box compressor like a Hatsan Spark. The filter has too much volume and by the time that the line and filter come up to what the gun is at(say 200 bar)then the compressor is almost at its max heat threshold and needs to be turned off. I'm looking for a option that works. Oh well, that experiment only costs $110, lol. I guess in the big picture if it took me a whole day to fill up a gun it is better than putting water into it. I have two of those little filters on my line and could still feel water at the end of the whip.

Last edited:
Reactions: bidoof
This is a gun that is in for repair from Mike "Python Cowboy" It is a boat gun, which means it has seen 2-4K rounds per week 42 weeks a year, it has never leaked, and the outside of the gun was rusted and needed parts to rebuild. Take note of how clean the inside of the gun is; this Leshiy has only been filled with pure nitrogen. This is Mike's first Leshiy, delivered to him in September 2020.
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-08 at 9.27.02 AM (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Beer Nap,

I have one of those big gold Tuxing filters but I've never hooked it up to my Yong Heng. I bought a smaller black filter, about mid-way between the stock Yong Heng and the big gold Tuxing in size first. I filled it with color changing desicant (inside a clear plastic tube). The Yong Heng filter is first, then the black one and then the whip to the tank (or gun). The black filter is vertical and I vent about every 5 minutes - I get water out each time. The stock Yong Heng filter always has some water in it when I change it after the tank fill. But the color change desicant takes half a dozen tank fills to be mostly changed. It stays dry for a long time. I take that as a solid indication I am not putting water into the tank and thus my guns. I do not think it takes a monster size filter but I don't know how you know if it's working with dessicant that does not change color when it gets wet. I am also a firm believer that the line out of the Yong Heng should be sloped back to the Yong Heng so that water that condenses as the air cools flows back to the compressor where you can vent it.

Jim

Reactions: Beer Nap
I don't think the price of the compressor determines whether it's output contains moisture or other contaminants. When you compress air water will tend to come out except that the air temperature also increases which can allow the high pressure air to still contain the moisture. Until it cools. Then the high pressure air will no longer hold the water and it comes out. This happens in $300 compressors and in $3000 compressors. It is just the physics of the situation. Mitigation measures can include arranging the lines so that the water drains back to a vent (and vent it) or filtering it with an absorbent filter or a desicant. A more expensive compressor may contain a better water filter and/or trap but I wouldn't assume it does. Adding a filter to an inexpensive compressor raises it's cost but not nearly to the level of the "high end" compressors. Any way you get to clean dry air, regardless of cost, will have the same impact on your gun. Not getting to clean, dry air will negatively impact your gun regardless of how much you spent on your compressor.

Pointing out that moisture is not a good thing inside an airgun is OK but it isn't an explanation of why the subject Leshy 2 failed. Did that gun have moisture damage to the point that it caused the failure? If so, some pictures of where the corrosion is and an explanation of why that caused the air storage to failring would be nice. I understand gathering that information may take some time.

I don't think the price of the compressor determines whether it's output contains moisture or other contaminants. When you compress air water will tend to come out except that the air temperature also increases which can allow the high pressure air to still contain the moisture. Until it cools. Then the high pressure air will no longer hold the water and it comes out. This happens in $300 compressors and in $3000 compressors. It is just the physics of the situation. Mitigation measures can include arranging the lines so that the water drains back to a vent (and vent it) or filtering it with an absorbent filter or a desicant. A more expensive compressor may contain a better water filter and/or trap but I wouldn't assume it does. Adding a filter to an inexpensive compressor raises it's cost but not nearly to the level of the "high end" compressors. Any way you get to clean dry air, regardless of cost, will have the same impact on your gun. Not getting to clean, dry air will negatively impact your gun regardless of how much you spent on your compressor.

Pointing out that moisture is not a good thing inside an airgun is OK but it isn't an explanation of why the subject Leshy 2 failed. Did that gun have moisture damage to the point that it caused the failure? If so, some pictures of where the corrosion is and an explanation of why that caused the air storage to failring would be nice. I understand gathering that information may take some time.
I get it but I really don't think people understand the need for dry air and how the moisture sieves work and how to maintain.

The data on using SCBA breathing air in PCP's is pretty definitive to the positive side. The units filling are well maintained, regulated and inspected.

Just my .02.

Reactions: MicrosoftChad
That looks like a very good filter. But it should be, it costs as much as my YH cost. Maybe that is necessary but I don't think it is. I use the stock YH absorbent filter, changed after each tank fill, and a medium sized additional filter that cost less than $100, which is charged with color changing absorbent. I check the second filter and changed it just yesterday. But normally the little YH filter seems to get almost all the water. That might not work for everybody, I also think venting the YH during the fill is helping because I have the line to the extra filter sloped back to the YH. I agree with the thought that we need to have some way to assure ourselves that our tanks and guns are getting clean dry air.

I fill mine inside where the humidity is 45-50% vs outside where its 90%+ . I also set the air rifle up higher than the air outlet. It doesn't have enough volume to blow water past the filter and blow it up hill. I get about 2 drops of water from the pumps outlet, after a 5 minute fill, when running it with no pressure. A small amount comes out when releasing the whip pressure. No oil blow by from the pump because there is no oil.

Yup, exactly. This whole situation is off so I can't wait to find out what the "official" findings are.

Here's the summary of this topic: "Hey guys, my baby exploded! All good; Edguns are great - no hard feelings. Bye!"

Not odd at all.
yenn, However this turns out, and it is a serious matter either way (a con or a problem), you made me laugh. S7

This might be a stupid question but how about some type of coating inside of the tank to prevent water aluminum contact in the first place? I could see why that might be a problem with tanks used for breathing from but that's not our tanks or air tubes. I guess it wouldn't work on threaded areas though.
BN, It does seem like a start towards an idea, at least to my non-technically astute self. S7