Leshiy 2 explodes

yep Bernie coming in to ALWAYS comment on this lol…

Ed, this comment is not directed at you, it’s because some people think that if you can go to a fire house for a fill in Russia, they can do it over here…

However, if you live in the US, owning an Airgun doesn’t entitle you to interrupt first responder operations. This is the type of behavior that reflects very poorly on the community as a whole, and looks super suspicious to anyone not familiar with PCPs. There’s a lot of talk about how to set a good example when it’s comes to safety, not bothering neighbors, etc. this is part of that. I’ll now step down from my soapbox.
The point is not in that we can easily do it in Russia, to go to the local firefighter department, asking for filling the tank with air. I doubt that it is not possible in any country, one just need to ask politely and find the way to talk with people in a normal way :) I doubt that one normal person refuse to help another normal person with such a small issue, as filling the tanks, since filling the tanks for them is a routine operation.

Reactions: OldSpook
That’s one helluva soap box.
As a firefighter myself, I haven’t seen an issue with people coming in and asking for bottle fills. With our sport as small as it is, it’s not really an annoyance. I will say, if your bottles out of date, or isn't dot approved, we won’t fill it. This protects us from liability issues.
And that is exactly what I meant! :) Normal people are always able to solve any problem with other normal people!

yep Bernie coming in to ALWAYS comment on this lol…

Ed, this comment is not directed at you, it’s because some people think that if you can go to a fire house for a fill in Russia, they can do it over here…

However, if you live in the US, owning an Airgun doesn’t entitle you to interrupt first responder operations. This is the type of behavior that reflects very poorly on the community as a whole, and looks super suspicious to anyone not familiar with PCPs. There’s a lot of talk about how to set a good example when it’s comes to safety, not bothering neighbors, etc. this is part of that. I’ll now step down from my soapbox.
What a reach! LOL I'm sure that if the first responders will in the middle of operations they wouldn't stop in order to fill a tank. Nor would most people ask them to. You're funny!

Isn't a dedicated compressor cheaper in a long run to fill the guns? I believe you use a lot of air on a daily basis to manufacture the guns.
If question to me I can say that I use ONLY air from the local fire department, from their compressor they use for filling their tanks. Quite seldom I use my own HP compressor, but that is not that cheap Chinise one, but normal Italian's with the filters and so on, I used to bought it for 8'000 euro or something like that.

That’s one helluva soap box.
As a firefighter myself, I haven’t seen an issue with people coming in and asking for bottle fills. With our sport as small as it is, it’s not really an annoyance. I will say, if your bottles out of date, or isn't dot approved, we won’t fill it. This protects us from liability issues.
Maybe I’m not doing a good job explaining my position. It doesn’t have anything to do with ‘has this worked for some people’ or ‘could it work’? But would you honestly say the default position in the community should be to recommend random people go to the station and ask to fill a tank?

I’m sympathetic to wanting to help each other deal with one of the more frustrating aspects of the hobby, but do you think this sets a good precedent? We already had someone describe their encounter doing this (in all seriousness), “They looked at me like I was a criminal”…

Maybe I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️ but to say, “try the fire station”, carte blanche seems like bad advice.

What a reach! LOL I'm sure that if the first responders will in the middle of operations they wouldn't stop in order to fill a tank. Nor would most people ask them to. You're funny!
That’s a comically uncharitable reading of “operations”, to think I was referring to them boarding a truck with the sirens blaring. Obviously it’s being used as ‘day to day operations’.

s
Maybe I’m not doing a good job explaining my position. It doesn’t have anything to do with ‘has this worked for some people’ or ‘could it work’? But would you honestly say the default position in the community should be to recommend random people go to the station and ask to fill a tank?

I’m sympathetic to wanting to help each other deal with one of the more frustrating aspects of the hobby, but do you think this sets a good precedent? We already had someone describe their encounter doing this (in all seriousness), “They looked at me like I was a criminal”…

Maybe I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️ but to say, “try the fire station”, carte blanche seems like bad advice.

That’s a comically uncharitable reading of “operations”, to think I was referring to them boarding a truck with the sirens blaring. Obviously it’s being used as ‘day to day operations’.
it takes about 60 seconds to fill a 45min tank at a firehouse including setup time. I don’t think it’s a hinder on the fire service for someone to ask. I think you’re thinking too far into it. All manufacturers recommend/require you to use dry air for your pcp’s. Ed is no different. If that is from a personal source like a quality compressor. So be it. But not all of us have the luxury of extra money to spend on such. The fire department is a good source of quality dry air, and I’ve never ran into someone who has had issues with their local department. The person you speak of may have had a bad experience with his department, but it is NOT the norm. Most departments in this country are volunteer, and community relations are important. We even have a system to help people fill their swimming pools with water from our tanker trucks. In turn the community is more likely to donate much needed money to keep us from using outdated Equipment or running out of supplies. I see it as a win win.

Twentynine years in public service as a police officer, reaching the rank of Deputy Chief in a very busy blue collar town. I'm well aware of "operations" as well as down time........
You're obviously one that veers towards extreme views to validate your point.

Last edited:
Ed asked me to share these photos of a gun I just took in for repair. Leshiys get used and filled a lot;. I have repaired many airguns that look like this.; using a quality compressor and water filter is critical. About 18 months ago, we switched Python Cowboy to nitrogen, and he has had zero issues or leaks since switching to nitrogen. Python Cowboy puts aproxemently 4 thousand rounds a week through his guns as the premier iguana guide in Florida.
16951448-bb69-4aaa-9ff5-7137293589f0.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: woogie_man
I have seen that on MANY tanks and regulators at the paintball fields. I am fairly certain it is mineral deposits from the moisture that does get into the compressor systems. In our area I can say that I have seen it pretty much in every air system in 100 mile radius. Typically those tanks get filled and show down at a much more extreme rate than what anyone shooting lead would ever dream of. A light day could mean filling a 90 cubic inch tank 15 times.

• Wow
Reactions: L.Leon
What the heck is that powdery stuff? I've never seen that on mine (inside or outside). Granted, mine is barely 5 months old 😅 .
I keep my L2 as dry as possible at all times. My compressor has 2 moist filters and the gun itself is always stored close to moisture absorbers.
@DonEnzone The powdery substance appears to be corrosion from the plenum and reservoir. This occurs when there isn’t prosper filtration on a high pressure air compressor. Quality fill sources (i.e. a dive shop, fire department, or otherwise compressed air produced by a dive quality compressor) capable of producing breathing quality air (dry air) are recommended to avoid what you see in @EDgunWest photo.

Reactions: DonEnzone