Leshiy 2 explodes

….

Btw, I love my L2. I bought the Hornet 2 mod and have not gotten the locking pin since with the mod you can no longer lock the gun while folded.
You need to replace the stock locking pin with the longer 16mm locking pin, and then it will lock when folded.
The 16mm locking pin is needed for most moderator and bottle upgrades.

I would have preferred he posted pics while still on the gun, curious which direction it blew out. Towards his face or away, it all seems suspicious to me. If this happened to me, you guys would get the full story and lots of pictures to show. In my old age I have learned to not trust most of what I see on the internet.

I would have preferred he posted pics while still on the gun, curious which direction it blew out. Towards his face or away, it all seems suspicious to me. If this happened to me, you guys would get the full story and lots of pictures to show. In my old age I have learned to not trust most of what I see on the internet.
Yup, exactly. This whole situation is off so I can't wait to find out what the "official" findings are.

Here's the summary of this topic: "Hey guys, my baby exploded! All good; Edguns are great - no hard feelings. Bye!"

Not odd at all.

For sure. Everyone can go down the water/air rabbit hole if they wish but consider this. Thousands of pcp’s have been filled by other than dry methods and catastrophic failures are NOT a norm.

To say this failure is due to moisture would also mean saying the L2 is more susceptible. I do not think this is the case.

I’m not trying to discount moisture damage, it is real and it is a concern. I address it with molecular seive AND frequent inspection.

Dave

Reactions: anoir1115
Well this is taking wrong turn seeing water or aluminium oxidation wasnt really the reason of failure... So take a chill pill... Ppl in here are going to perform hydrotesting for Leshiy 2 and if there is problem they will hand out report to our local dealer. I will inform more when they get hydrotesting done. They might test it to failure point seeing no one in our national forum agrees that its safe pressure vessel after seeing wall thickness and design. I highly recommend not to use leshiy 2 untill 3rd party hydro testing is done.. but once again we all are grown up ppl and make our own decisions.

Reactions: Lingdinger.22
I had one failure on a bottle adapter and it was scary the force of bottle was like a rocket and broke my foot and I had a work boot on it also had a gage when went threw my celing . I remember filling it and heard a leak so I put my finger and it near my ear when it exploded , after contacting the manufacturer he said he had it made elsewhere and it may have been like cracked , all I know is I am lucky the gage didnt kill me and went threw sheetrock ,

Interesting how ED said about hand pumps , I never used one in 20 yrs but moisture does alot of damage to steel , I did not know it could cause havoc on alum as well ,
One question I have is this one of EDs guns or one of the guns built in other countries? I have read they making them other places even USA , I am only asking I am sure ED uses proper materials and would not question anything he designs , but when others co produce products I hope they use hi standards to materials

• Wow
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I appreciate it that Edgun is taking this situation seriously and plans to throughly investigate what happened. I will not speculate on the cause while they are doing this.

But on the topic of dry air, I think it is key to arrange the output hoses of the compressor to drain back to the vent of the compressor. As the air cools after leaving the second stage, water comes out. If we allow it to drain to the vent, we can vent it and not have to filter it out. But I can see why people do not do this when they use really long extra filters. I do not. I let the compressed air go first into the simple filter the compressor came with then it goes to an extra filter bigger than the one that came with the pump but smaller than the gold one (which I also have but do not use). The extra filter is filled with color changing dessicant beads. After each tank refill I change the filter element of the YH filter and it usually has water in it. I check the cartridge in the additional filter but it usually does not need to be changed. As the compressor is running I vent it every 5 minutes. Most of the water is coming out the vent, I believe.

I have not disassembled any of my guns yet just to check for moisture but I did have the air tank open on my oldest P35 when I changed it's regulator. There was no moisture of sign there had been any moisture in the air chamber.

I am not suggesting other peoples methods do not work, I bet they do. But I think the simplest approach is just to put all the filters above the compressor and let water drain back towards the vent. Put on an extra filter but it doesn't have to be huge in my experience. I like using the color changing beads so I know when they need to be changed. I also have a one way valve on the output of the extra filter for several reasons but one thing it does is reduce any tendency of the beads to get water filled just from ambient air when I am not using the compressor. My spare cartridge in a zip loc bag changed color pretty rapidly just setting there.

They might test it to failure point seeing no one in our national forum agrees that its safe pressure vessel after seeing wall thickness and design.
I have to admit I was surprised to see wall thickness, is this normal for the industry? It did seem unusual but admittedly I have no background in pressure vessels. Is this possibly a raptor reg that got set to a higher pressure? I wasn’t clear on what I was seeing in the image

Also, if that oring, in that position WAS being used, it would allow the threaded area to become part of the pressure vessel. It is not designed to have the pressure in the threaded area.

Dave
Thats what I see also!! The oring should be inboard of the threaded area. If its outboard the whole pressure is on the threaded area with a very thin wall. I really hope no one was injured. Please send the pics to Edgun to review.

Reactions: Scotty1
I have to admit I was surprised to see wall thickness, is this normal for the industry? It did seem unusual but admittedly I have no background in pressure vessels. Is this possibly a raptor reg that got set to a higher pressure? I wasn’t clear on what I was seeing in the image
Well I dont really know what standards were used but by western standards leshiy2 is rated at 300bar fill pressure and any part under that pressure shouldnt fail anywhere near those pressures you can output. Actually catastrophic failure should only occure far north of 900bars. This applys especially when used materials such as aluminium that have huge tendency of suffering metal fatique. We use massive safety standards in west due that fatique that can cause failure at alot lower point in time but when you up scale strenght enough forces aint enough to cause fatique in first place.

Also, if that oring, in that position WAS being used, it would allow the threaded area to become part of the pressure vessel. It is not designed to have the pressure in the threaded area.

Dave
Here is the scheme of L2 back part, as you can see, the threads are free of pressure.

back part L2.jpeg

Well I dont really know what standards were used but by western standards leshiy2 is rated at 300bar fill pressure and any part under that pressure shouldnt fail anywhere near those pressures you can output. Actually catastrophic failure should only occure far north of 900bars. This applys especially when used materials such as aluminium that have huge tendency of suffering metal fatique. We use massive safety standards in west due that fatique that can cause failure at alot lower point in time but when you up scale strenght enough forces aint enough to cause fatique in first place.
We tried to destroy the tubes while testing and always fail, the maximum pressure we could achieve was 800 bar.

Here is the scheme of L2 back part, as you can see, the threads are free of pressure.

View attachment 332867
Could it be that chamber was drilled too deep combined with that sharp corner. Atleast to my eye it seems that is going far deeper on that fractured tube if you see material is really thin due that corner overlaps with out side bevel. Alltho other theories were that it failed from threaded side but I really fail to see how it could seeing threads are not under pressure unless the fellow managed to leave that o ring away and make it seal from outside.

IMG_20230216_134826.jpg

Reactions: qball
Could it be that chamber was drilled too deep combined with that sharp corner. Atleast to my eye it seems that is going far deeper on that fractured tube if you see material is really thin due that corner overlaps with out side bevel. Alltho other theories were that it failed from threaded side but I really fail to see how it could seeing threads are not under pressure unless the fellow managed to leave that o ring away and make it seal from outside.

View attachment 332869
The issue was the treaded area was pressurized nothing else is at fault. The cross section of the tread bore is to thin for that pressure. The Inboard oring was not in place and having a outboard oring is never a good idea so i have no idea why its there at all. Because the inboard oring is missing all the pressure is being held back by the outboard oring which then in turn puts all the tank pressure on the thin threaded area. THIS IS WHY IT FAILED.

The issue was the treaded area was pressurized nothing else is at fault. The cross section of the tread bore is to thin for that pressure. The Inboard oring was not in place and having a outboard oring is never a good idea so i have no idea why its there at all. Because the inboard oring is missing all the pressure is being held back by the outboard oring which then in turn puts all the tank pressure on the thin threaded area. THIS IS WHY IT FAILED.
Yes but the problem with that theory is that there is no place for outside O ring.. and I bloody highly doubt it you could manage to make it seal by placing O ring on bottom of threads ans just screw it on place..

View attachment 332867
I know the threads are free of pressure by design. The oring in the failure picture is not in the position it was designed to be in.

Whether it was there prior to event or blown there during event, I do not know. But it is in the wrong position in the picture of the event.

Dave

Are they talking about the oring on the plenum next to the repr reg? The threaded area?
When you built tube you always have o-ring sealing pressure in before threaded area just like in leshiy 2.. but in picture of exploded chamber o-ring is placed on bottom of male threads leaving threads pressurized that could result catastrophic failure if you manage to seal it somehow by placing o-ring there and leaving o-ring groove empty so pressure in chamber actually moves between threads. Im not sure how it could seal that way since leshiy 2 aint designed to have that o-ring sitting there.