Leshiy 2 explodes

I've cleaned off enough to know what that is...
69AB9951-9FCB-44F7-A149-34C52AABA51A.jpeg

Calcium, lime, and rust. I looked up it's friendliness with aluminum and I get mixed feedback. Wondering why the end of tube isn't anodized like the rest?
The anodizing process submerges the part in an electrolytic bath. Electric current does its thing. The anodized area is now very porous and will accept a dye coloring. The part is then dyed but the dye doesn’t color (stick to) the area at the bottom of the tube that had an air pocket during the anodizing. (Bottom was probably at the top during process)

The other non anodized area (silver) is that machine operation was done after anodizing. It is a sealing surface for the oring and allows for a better seal than an anodized surface (porous).

As I mentioned earlier, aluminum oxide will appear whitish/powdery. From your picture, it is hard to tell if that is what you have or if it’s just poorly colored from the anodizing I described above. Hence why I said, IF you can clean it, do so but it may clean already.

Try to clean it with something that is not a chemical that might attack the bare aluminum. I would never use something like CLR on any part of a gun, especially if there is a bare metal.

Calcium? Really?….

Dave

A couple of my tubes, no corrosion (oxidation) or CALCIUM. Notice how the area extends up in the tubes.

IMG_4748.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg

Wanna see some real corrosion? This is someone's L2 REPR plenum with the brass filter removed. I do not know the history of it, but it looks like it had been fed with lots of humid air in its past life. This is the ideal place for galvanic corrosion to occur, with two dissimilar metals in contact while moisture is present. Aluminum acts as a sacrificial anode and gets eaten, producing aluminum oxide, the white powdery stuff. Looks horrible but it cleaned up nicely, and it does not present a safety issue, as there is plenty of wall thickness there and the corroded threads are not load bearing. Interestingly enough, the rest of the tube was just fine, no signs of corrosion. It was localized only where brass contacted aluminum.

Could this be another failsafe built into the design by Ed the mad genius? Feed your Leshiy with poopty humid air, and eventually your regulator gets plugged with the white stuff before the integrity of the reservoir is compromised! Then you're forced to open up your gun, gasp in horror, and re-evaluate your life and your choices of air sources :D

After seeing this I examined both of my Leshiys and there was zero signs of corrosion in this area or elsewhere. I've been using GX and Tuxing compressors with what I thought was suboptimal filtration. Zero issues.

l2_corrosion.jpg

You guys are exhausting... it's like you wake up and just want to argue about something.

For your reading pleasure: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.0c01538

To the original guy asking... don't stress about it. Go grab some CLR and clean it out. Vinegar works as well. I'd probably check every month or 2 if it got like that so quickly. Your air source is definitely the root of the issue.

To prevent any corrosion use a compressor with a high quality desiccant. You can also clean out the gun periodically and use a light coating of high quality silicone grease on the inside. Why that part isn't anodized... I have no idea about manufacturing, but what I do know... nothing on this gun is on accident.

I was asked probably 100 times about the topic of this thread, but didn't respond. Why? Because I have zero expertise in the subject. I clearly care though, as I have 6 Leshiy 2's. Take what you read here with a giant grain of salt. While majority of the folks are cool, there's a select few whom use this forum to bitch and moan / show everyone how smart they are... scroll up and see how the story always ends.

What's disappointing is this forum was a great place for new people to come and learn, but unfortunately it's been weaponized by a few toxic know-it-all's. I choose to stay in my lane. If you ever want to know how to setup your Leshiy for optimal critter smashing in your backyard... I'm your guy.

If you ever want answers on this gun (and assuming you bought it from brian or a dealer in the US)... just open a support ticket on his site. He's had 1,000's of these guns go through his hands... and there isn't a person on the planet with more working field knowledge of this gun than him. I had the exact same thing, and asked about it. It's calcium salts that come from introducing water into your air tube (as the article mentions).

Cheers,

T

You guys are exhausting... it's like you wake up and just want to argue about something.

For your reading pleasure: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.0c01538

Cheers,

T
Hey TFlat I owe you an apology man. I had no idea noob_to_this was filling his Leshiy inside of an oil pipeline. Fortunately for most of us we don’t have to worry about air laden with calcium from the precipitation of brine water which is a by product of oil drilling. Thanks for the info now I know not to fill my gun in a pipeline.

Now that we got that out of the way let’s focus on the more important topic. Nothing more that really needs to be said in this thread except waiting for conclusions from Ed and Marko

Last edited:
Hey TFlat I owe you an apology man. I had no idea noob_to_this was filling his Leshiy inside of an oil pipeline. Fortunately for most of us we don’t have to worry about air laden with calcium from the precipitation of brine water which is a by product of oil drilling. Thanks for the info now I know not to fill my gun in a pipeline.

Now that we got that out of the way let’s focus on the more important topic. Nothing more that really needs to be said in this thread except waiting for conclusions from Ed and Marko

I'm not surprised that's your reply considering you're waiting on Marko for anything other than perhaps super sizing your next meal. I wouldn't hold your breath, as something tells me you're not gonna hear much more from him. As for Ed... perhaps you didn't watch all those videos above. What else do you want? He's literally the last manufacture that posts on this platform, as you and your buddies have chased the rest.

I’ve never chased any vendors away. Show me where I attacked Ed or criticized him negatively. I await his response because I value his knowledge. Idk why you have to undermine Marko’s analysis when even Ed appreciated it. Marko not only has a deep knowledge of engineering and airguns but he’s very helpful to the airgun community as seen with this debacle.

Last I remember is Ed speculated about some residue on the outside of the cylinder. No definitive conclusions were made. Unless you know something I don’t

If the ASME is the vessel shall not fail at 3.5 times the working pressure but hydrotesting is tested at 1.5 times the working pressure.
What are the standards in Russia ?
If you sell your rifle in the USA, are you not required to meet the ASME ?

I am under the impression that some or a lot of these rifles have come in through the back door and in 6 parts ? If so then there is a problem because ASME may not be applied.

But in the same sense, ASME was never applied as Ed was never equipped to reach 3.5 times the working pressure because he never reached 1050 bar of pressure ?

Last edited:
Reactions: M0ist0ne
“I don't know, can be the mistake during the making tests. My results exactly meets the calculations.”

Sorry but this reply is hardly satisfactory- it clearly failed at 450 bar - there’s no mistake. And why all
The machining discrepancies / differences in the tubes?

So, you hint that we either have not enough knowledge in that sphere or, consciously misled public? I cannot find another reason why you accept one point of view (Marko) and even don't want to consider a chance that there was something wrong on his side? Really?

From my side I can give over 20th years experience in that and NO ONE case of any accidants with the high-pressure parts of our guns. About 100'000 guns. Don't you think that is huge overweight above Marko's reulst and conclusions?
Hello, Ed!

I have a suggestion for you. A fixture for holding a sheet of sandpaper.

Simple design, easy to make and very useful throughout your whole shop :)

Top surface of the aluminum plate (under the sandpaper) is ground perfectly flat.

Cheers from Detroit!

Thank you! In fact we have even the flatpolishing machine but I decided to do it manually for better picture for video :)

Ed - I’ve been watching and reading this thread with interest. With that said, I think what may be separating your thoughts from some others is how you define the word “failure” as it applies here, as opposed to how other Engineers define “failure” in this application.
I’m not challenging or trying to assign blame, only trying to help clarify.

Thomas Himes
Mechanical Engineer

Right, I can make a mistake in the way of right using word or using the wrong word, but I guess you got the clue :) The main thing is that Marko used the other model for his calculation which doesn't meet the reallity and he has confirmed it.

I’m pretty sure it’s where an air pocket happens during the anodizing and again during the dyeing process. All of my Leshiy2 tubes have it. If it can be cleaned, clean it. It’s not of any concern/worry.

Oxidation will appear whitish/powdery.

Jmo,
Dave

Right, the inside surface is anodizing as the side process, not the main process.

The remains are about to be sent to the special criminal labarotroy to make all test they can do (beginnig from the metall test and ending the the looking for the parts of other materials remaining after explosing). The laboratory is specialized on that, investigating different terror acts and so on. That is the State laboratory, not the private one.

The same here in Russia, the test pressure is 1.5 of working pressure. That is because the test pressure shouldn't be close or overcome the limit of the plastic deformation of the material. And I've shown with the meassurement that it is, not plastic deformation. The next step -- the attempt to destroy the tube, as you could see I've achieved the pressure close to 800 bar, that makes 2.6 times over working pressure (Marko's result was close to it). No detruction. Based on my experience (and calculations) the destruction process can start with the pressure much over 1'000 bar (close to 3.5 time factor), that is why I neven ever for 20 years of work managed to destroy it), I will get the new pump at the end of May and will try to destroy it just to know how close the calculation is to the reallity. But I think I will not be able achieve that due to the fact that O-ring will be destroyed first, I have passed that already.

Just for your enjoy -- watch this :)

So, you hint that we either have not enough knowledge in that sphere or, consciously misled public? I cannot find another reason why you accept one point of view (Marko) and even don't want to consider a chance that there was something wrong on his side? Really?

From my side I can give over 20th years experience in that and NO ONE case of any accidants with the high-pressure parts of our guns. About 100'000 guns. Don't you think that is huge overweight above Marko's reulst and conclusions?

Thank you! In fact we have even the flatpolishing machine but I decided to do it manually for better picture for video :)

Right, I can make a mistake in the way of right using word or using the wrong word, but I guess you got the clue :) The main thing is that Marko used the other model for his calculation which doesn't meet the reallity and he has confirmed it.

Right, the inside surface is anodizing as the side process, not the main process.

The remains are about to be sent to the special criminal labarotroy to make all test they can do (beginnig from the metall test and ending the the looking for the parts of other materials remaining after explosing). The laboratory is specialized on that, investigating different terror acts and so on. That is the State laboratory, not the private one.

The same here in Russia, the test pressure is 1.5 of working pressure. That is because the test pressure shouldn't be close or overcome the limit of the plastic deformation of the material. And I've shown with the meassurement that it is, not plastic deformation. The next step -- the attempt to destroy the tube, as you could see I've achieved the pressure close to 800 bar, that makes 2.6 times over working pressure (Marko's result was close to it). No detruction. Based on my experience (and calculations) the destruction process can start with the pressure much over 1'000 bar (close to 3.5 time factor), that is why I neven ever for 20 years of work managed to destroy it), I will get the new pump at the end of May and will try to destroy it just to know how close the calculation is to the reallity. But I think I will not be able achieve that due to the fact that O-ring will be destroyed first, I have passed that already.

When you imported the rifle into the USA, are you required to meet the ASME of 3.5Xwp ?

Reactions: M0ist0ne
Not that it

Great test a man that stands by his products. However over melodramatic since you probably filled the reservoir with non compressible fluid probably hydraulic fluid. So that even if the reservoir failed you would not face death. Now if it was actually filled with compressed air. The danger would be genuine.

Not that it

Great test a man that stands by his products. However over melodramatic since you probably filled the reservoir with non compressible fluid probably hydraulic fluid. So that even if the reservoir failed you would not face death. Now if it was actually filled with compressed air. The danger would be genuine.
You want me to follow that way just to amuse the sense of self-worth of the venerable public? The result will be the same, since I will not be able to pump it over 300 bar with the air.

Moreover, even the half of the tube resist the shot, inspite of the fact that half tube is much, much weaker... That is the result of shot from 50 meters from .25 (85 Joles) and 10 cm with .35 (125 Joles).

Just admit the fact, material is OK, ED is OK :)

Half inside.JPG

Half outside.JPG

Reactions: Dairyboy and Barik
There are compressors now that do over 300 bar, I see this menttioned multiple times now and its tiring, you act as if its not possible....

I will 100% expect a silly response to a reasonable correction, such as recommending you do not terminate HPA resevoirs with sharp corners, HPA tubes that are functionally used as cheek rests.

Reactions: Huckleberry