Leshiy 2 explodes

Marko's information is interesting and I am grateful he went to the trouble to generate the data and make it available. It does raise a serious issue with Ed's claim of 800 bar tests of each batch of material. It also suggests a safety factor lower than we would like to see. But it doesn't explain why an air tube ruptured presumably at 300 bar. If I understand his test, his sample did not rupture at over 700bar. It would have to be a SERIOUS overfill to get into the 700 bar range. I still think there is something else. Perhaps a flaw in the material or in the machining. Or un-noticed damage.
Yes I did tested it to 720bar, permanently stretching the cylinder but not rupturing. But it should have not had any permanent deformation at that level either if being propped material.

I suspect the material on the exploded one and this one is different, and assuming the correct material is 7075 T6 equivalent then they both have wrong material.

I have time next week to see a fellow engineer at the university, we will analyze the material to find out what it is.

In the meantime my advice is if you must use your L2 don't fill it past 200bar this is the safe ish limit on the material I tested. Not indefinitely safe and without knowing the material I would not use the gun at all.

Marko

Would a scandium alloy be suitable for a 300 bar pressure vessel?

1682666740631.png

Maybe currently hard to get in Russia.

Now I'm giving you more unwelcome news.
There is no aluminum on this earth that can hold on these exact dimensions and design.
Just ran a simulation on Autodesk Fusion 360 using 7075 and 30Mpa / 300bar pressure.

Not what you would call a successful design.
Sorry for the inconvenience to everyone. I hope Edgun makes good on this.

Marko

so irrespective of the circumstances the original failure this shows major design concerns to say the least. This is not acceptable. Are peoples lives / limbs so cheap as to degrade this most crucial of areas ? Thank you Marko for shining a light here, I for one will not be touching my L2 until this is resolved for everyone. How many ticking time bomb L2’s are in circulation I wonder. And what kind of fix could possibly be offered..

Reactions: Huckleberry
so irrespective of the circumstances the original failure this shows major design concerns to say the least. This is not acceptable. Are peoples lives / limbs so cheap as to degrade this most crucial of areas ? Thank you Marko for shining a light here, I for one will not be touching my L2 until this is resolved for everyone. How many ticking time bomb L2’s are in circulation I wonder. And what kind of fix could possibly be offered..
If sticking with aluminum one with a thicker cross section and a fillet instead of a sharp inside corner. It'll be interesting to see how this will be handled since exchanging all the tubes with parts and labor will be quite expensive given the number of guns that have probably sold. If sticking with the original part owners have three choices. Take risks that will blow up and use as is up to 300 bar, reduce the working pressure to something much lower that's safe for cyclic use, or never use it again.

I don't own this particular Edgun but I do have an r5m. Next time I take the air tube apart all measure the dimensions and put the numbers into Fusion 360 and see what happens. I routinely fill it to 300 bar.

I said it before and I'll say it again, for a 2k$ AIR GUN TOY, you should have pressurized areas of the gun made from titanium. Would cost the manufacturer at MOST 100$ per gun extra. Take notes from Huben and the like...for 2k+ you get hammerless SEMI auto AND titantium tubes.

No apology can wash away the shame if these tubes are determined to be 6061, and based on Marko's findings, even 7075 is unacceptable for the manufacturers suggested fill pressure. This is honestly outrageous. Would love to see that simulation with fusion for 6061.

Last edited:
Would cost the manufacturer at MOST 100$ per gun extra.
That is a huge amount of money per gun if you consider the fact that Ed decided to get rid of the parts created using wire EDM (e.g. Matador hammer, trigger elements) and he replaced them with casted elements. You can deduct that every penny counts if you go big scale. Big scale, big money. Big money and the brain may not handle that in some cases.

That is a huge amount of money per gun if you consider the fact that Ed decided to get rid of the parts created using wire EDM (e.g. Matador hammer, trigger elements) and he replaced them with casted elements. You can deduct that every penny counts if you go big scale. Big scale, big money. Big money and the brain may not handle that in some cases.

If Huben can do it, Edgun can.

Reactions: Huckleberry
I for one will not be touching my L2 until this is resolved for everyone. How many ticking time bomb L2’s are in circulation I wonder. And what kind of fix could possibly be offered..
As Ed mentioned many times in the past:

"If you cannot afford buying my guns - change your job, I don't care. If you don't like my guns, I don't push you to buy them."

Reactions: woogie_man
As Ed mentioned many times in the past:

"If you cannot afford buying my guns - change your job, I don't care. If you don't like my guns, I don't push you to buy them."

If you can't afford to build guns with adequate materials or design, don't build guns.

Are you all through with the Ed bashing? Got it all out of your systems yet? Ready to shut up and wait for the final answer? You all keep going, you're going to piss him off and then none of us will know what's going on when he decides you don't deserve to know after the flame job.
This ain't no different than everybody going after Flying Dragon when one of his guns launched it's tube.

Are you all through with the Ed bashing? Got it all out of your systems yet? Ready to shut up and wait for the final answer? You all keep going, you're going to piss him off and then none of us will know what's going on when he decides you don't deserve to know after the flame job.
This ain't no different than everybody going after Flying Dragon when one of his guns launched it's tube.
Reductio ad absurdum

Basically, every thread on the internet. Worst case scenario, think of the children, the sky is falling etc.

The polarity of reasoning here when it comes to peoples safety is astounding.
Actually, I am not far off from the rest of the concerned individuals posting in this thread as far as safety and the Leshiy2.

What I am saying is, take a breath.

We have heard from exactly 1 person who has first hand knowledge of the incident, 1 qualified engineer, who has not concluded his testing and issued a finding, and the manufacturer who has just begun examination of the failed parts.

Would I shoot a Leshiy2 today? No way man, but that opinion may change once all the details of the situation are explained and it was a freak occurrence.

There is a stream of concern and anger being directed at an individual that at this point in time is conjecture. That is my point.

I will say that based on Markos videos, it does not look good for the Leshiy2, but I will wait for the entire story before rendering judgement.

Reactions: dv8eod and Seeker