Leshiy 2 explodes

Screenshot_20230213-091821_Facebook.jpg
saw this on the leshiy 2 Facebook page

He says he was shooting it when it blew up. Also says he filled to 200bar, went on to mention there was no prior visible damage to the tube. Maybe I will start wearing my full face motorcycle helmet when I shoot my L2 from now on. Keep in mind this was posted on Facebook, lots of fake stuff there, but it seems real.

He says he was shooting it when it blew up. Also says he filled to 200bar, went on to mention there was no prior visible damage to the tube. Maybe I will start wearing my full face motorcycle helmet when I shoot my L2 from now on. Keep in mind this was posted on Facebook, lots of fake stuff there, but it seems real.

One failure in the thousands of Leishys sold probably doesn't warrant a helmet, but airguns are supposed to have a safety margin built in so this stuff never happens so it's still concerning.

These examples are good reminders of dangers related to HPA operation, however, wouldn't condemn any airgun platform based on this. Don't know if airgun was dropped by owner, or by another, without owner's knowledge, which left no visible damage. If L2s exploded on a regular basis, yeah, then I'd agree to sound the alarm. WM

If that happened while he was shooting, the damage to his head, neck and probably arm would be substantial. Not to mention hearing loss. Was there any mention of injuries involved with this incident?

Dave

I believe there is cause for concern here as I would never want that to happen right next to what remains of my aging brain. But, I also have a few questions about what I am seeing in the picture. 2 specific areas circled below:
L2Boom.jpg

First one is the regulator nut. There is definitely what appears to be some damage there and that wouldn't happen on an outward explosion of the cylinder.

Second is the threading on the burst cylinder. While the tears in the metal do appear consistent on both sides I don't understand how they could be bent inward rather than outward.

I believe there is cause for concern here as I would never want that to happen right next to what remains of my aging brain. But, I also have a few questions about what I am seeing in the picture. 2 specific areas circled below:
View attachment 331969

First one is the regulator nut. There is definitely what appears to be some damage there and that wouldn't happen on an outward explosion of the cylinder.

Second is the threading on the burst cylinder. While the tears in the metal do appear consistent on both sides I don't understand how they could be bent inward rather than outward.
On the reg nut, curious why the large oring there. ??

Dave

IDC what the guy did. It shouldn’t explode like that. A face resting on a high pressured pipe doesn’t mix well IMO.

I mean, if the gun was improperly assembled after being worked on, that could cause this and at that point you should care?

Not saying that's what happened here as we don't know.

Dave
I noticed that as well, but don't want to make a judgement call on that. If it was assembled that way it would help explain the failure. Until otherwise shown, I would assume it was in the exposed Al slot in the appropriate place and was pushed forward during failure.

The more I think about it, the more you could be right though. The o-ring seems to be in perfect condition and perfectly placed.

Dave
I can't say for sure, but it's certainly out of position now. Perhaps it moved as the failure occurred, or perhaps it was an error in setting up the photograph.

There's a lot wrong in those images, and some of it (apparent corrosion) could have contributed to the failure. But perhaps it was the damage done to the threads that set up the initial crack in the tube. Hard to say without more input, either photos or statements from the owner.

Reactions: Tcclucky13