• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lemons & losses. Your picks ?

Hi all. A semi intro after a few posts. 
I have been an air rifle shooter for around 17 years now. My current piece is a .22 Benjamin Trail NP2. Love it. 
I would just like to get a feel for your guys worst purchases, and your biggest regrets, having sold an airgun you shouldn't have. 
For me the Gamo Hunter 1250 was my biggest mistake. Underpowered, overpriced, bloody dog. The sear broke after ~60 shots from new ! 
Biggest regret is a Gamo Silver CFX .22. Smooth, accurate, good looking. That took many a hare and possum. I want it back. 
So how about you all ? 

My biggest mistake was a .22 Benjamin Trail Np
I shot and shot and modified it ... tried every pellet...could not group .. Once stood 10 feet from a barn...
and I missed the barn... (kidding) .. but at 20 yards I was lucky to group 3 inch five shot groups... I hate this gun...(still have it)
Sent one back because after one week the forearm screws broke....

I haven't had any lemons. After a long time away I first got a Kodiak 2x from Walmart and it started me on the slippery slope. It was very accurate which of course made me want something better. So I tried a magnum springer but didn't like all the work I had to do to get consistent accuracy. So I jumped aboard the PCP train. It was like sleeping with a pic star compared to the plain Jane springer.

I regret getting a Daystate Huntsman XL 40 FPE .22 cal, It was a very accurate gun and it was a cannon,... and used air like one. It blew apart two carbon fiber LDC.
when I bought it I did not realize that the slingshot system was removed to get the 40 FPE ... it was shooting at 43 FPE From 250 BAR fill and there was no power curve, just a slanting line down for 15 shots. I got it for hunting but POI was dropping from first shot.
the guns I should have kept .... I still have :)

I've been lucky !

I've also researched before buying !!

Springers.
1st air rifle :) was a knackered version of a Diana 27 - smooth bored & bloody useless - I expect my Father bought it from 'a mate in the pub', so not exactly my fault. (a lemon)
Nowdays I have a real Diana 52 .22" which I am extremely happy with.

PCPs.
1st PCP was an AA 300, simple single shot precursor of the AA410, good basic rifle & well made (shouldn't have sold it but I wanted a multi-shot).
then started the FX 'trail' & far too many to list, but I still prefer the FX Cyclone (BTAS) over all others. Which is why I have 4 of them :)

I have not had any I hate some are better than others. I miss my Wildcat I just could not justify buying the RAW without selling it. I have a pair of Crosman 1377's I love they are not super accurate but fun to shoot never the less. One of the 1377 was given to me by a friend who has passed so it has a lot of sentimental value, it is a first generation. The other 1377 is a new one I just put a steel breach on and re-worked the trigger and put a red dot and it is a bunch of fun to shoot. I even have a 760 pump master I have fun with my grandkids shooting.

I miss my old RWS model 52 and a pistol I had when I was a kid I think it was a Crosman model 140. I like them all and plan to add many more. I wish I still had all the ones I had as a kid. I want to add a Benjamin Sheridan Silver or Blue Streak just because I always wanted one as a kid one of my friends had one when I was a boy and I really liked it.

Mike

Crosman 1077:
Had too many leaks and I upgraded to the air source adaptor with the 88 gram cylinders and it still leaked after 2 cartriges. Accuracy was ok ,but I never liked using co2 for an air source

Gamo Varmint Hunter:
Could not shoot the gun accurately, killed 2 scopes, spring twang, and spring broke after 2 tins. Sent the gun in to get a "turbo tune" (Gene tune and toys?) and whatever he did he got rid of the spring twang and installed a GRT trigger. Gun was still hard to shoot accurately and finally gave up on it. Jumped on the pcp train and will never look back.

Great replies fellas ! Yeah I was a Gamo bandit for years. My first air rifle was a 1996/1997 Hunter 440. That thing was very powerful brute- in .177 to boot. I guess I miss that too. I know a lot of people frown upon that brand. I moved away from them after the 1250 "experience". I won't ever get rid of my NP2, it's my first nitro piston rifle, and what a difference. The clean break trigger I find perfect for my use. Groups are a bit of work, but I can get them tight. 

"blackdiesel"...So I jumped aboard the PCP train. It was like sleeping with a pic star compared to the plain Jane springer.
HAHA! Sooo True! after the rifle below, I got a .25 marauder and a .22 Bobcat

My worst was a Trail NP XL 1100 .22 I just couldn't shoot it accurately but I really didn't know much about air guns when I got it.

Id love to have it back and to see if I could be accurate with it with artillery hold and quality pellets.

"Rchr"I have had several, which was the main reason why I ended up pulling the trigger on the PCP I have now. One of the lemons was a Beman dual barrel, rifle comes with 2 barrels, .177 & .22 I couldn't hit a bird size pest at 20 yds.
I know the one, I was tempted to buy one of those a few years back. I opted for a Crosman Optimus .177 instead. That was so easy to shoot groups. I guess I miss that too. Surprisingly powerful. I did some research before I decided against the dualie. I was not going to swap out the barrels then re-zero each time. Bugger that !

"mark404"I regret getting a Daystate Huntsman XL 40 FPE .22 cal, It was a very accurate gun and it was a cannon,... and used air like one. It blew apart two carbon fiber LDC.
when I bought it I did not realize that the slingshot system was removed to get the 40 FPE ... it was shooting at 43 FPE From 250 BAR fill and there was no power curve, just a slanting line down for 15 shots. I got it for hunting but POI was dropping from first shot.
the guns I should have kept .... I still have :)

My first PCP is a Huntsman Classic XL .22, being a total newbie at the time I was shocked at how loud an airgun can be, in Australia we cannot have such niceties as moderators , suppressors or whatever else they may be known as, and at a few comps people would ask who had the " cannon " on the firing line. After polishing the hammer which helped with the shot count ( still woeful, 27 shots ) it was running at nearly 45fpe from a 230bar fill. Have since decreased the transfer port size and it now runs at around 30-32 fpe, shot count is up to 35 but POI drops after 28, there is no curve just a steady decline but improved on from as delivered.
This rifle possibly classifies as my lemon but will I part with it? Not sure about that as it is so accurate and is a very well balanced rifle for offhand shooting.

Worst Lemon Scope I ever had was a Schmidt & Bender 12.5-50 x 56 FT...It was supposed to be the cream of the crop and widely used in Europe...I read the reviews and ordered one and got one of the first ones...It will shift the POI with minor temperature changes, the parallax side wheel that we use in FT for range finding was not consistent and the glass was not up to par with S&B quality...

Schmidt and Bender customer service is TERRIBLE, they made my $2,400 US nightmare worse!...Pretty arrogant, will not respond to my communications and did not fix the problem after the dealer returned the darn scope twice...I kept a S&B PM II because it came with a gun that belonged to my dad but I don't like this company, I was able to sell the FT for 1/2 price to a customer who was aware of the problems, otherwise it would be over my desk used as a paper weight.

I have had excellent results and service with Leupold, Sightron, Swarovski and Zeiss German models ...No issues with any of those ever...Leupold is my favorite company given their AWESOME customer service...No questions asked and a customer oriented company 100 %; they have proven time and again that they will do whatever necessary for keeping their customers happy.

Regret not keeping my Diana 27 (Break barrel)...Very accurate, easy to load and fun...Fortunately kept my Sheridan Silver Streak from the early 60's, rebuilt it and is as it came from the factory. 

Regards,

AZ

Biggest lemon for me so far is a used ..22 cal Evanix Blizzard. Too much to go into and don't want to bad mouth, but no more Korean girls for me ;-)
I'll stick with my tried and true (Kalibrgun, FX, Air Arms) and now lusting over a RAW HM1000 in .22
Can't wait to see what promise the American Air Arms Slayer Sport carbine holds?