• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lelya Ping?

Hey all,

I just took possession of a Lelya in .22 and so far am really enjoying it. The only thing that's bothering me is the hammer ping. With the BAT mod, it's the loudest part of the shot cycle (even when held away from my face) and actually makes my ear ring. Is this normal for a Lelya and is there anything I can do to alleviate it?

Also I still have it at factory settings (18.1s @ 854fps) so I don't think its turned up super hot to justify the ping. I do plan to adjust it such that it shoots 16s around 800 to 850fps but wanted to shoot it as is to break it in. Hopefully I can get there with just a hammer spring adjustment.

Aloha AirgunnerPCP, 

There was a thread about the Edgun's hammer ping awhile back, I have 3 Edgun's and well it doesn't bother me for some people it was a deal breaker on them getting the gun. I don't think theirs away to lessen the sound or at least I haven't seen anyone modify the gun to lessen the sound of the hammer ping. As far as getting the 16's around 800 you can adjust the hammer spring and turn it down. 

Aloha, Keone

Keone,

Ah I must've missed that one in my search! Hate to hear that there's not a common solution for it. I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker at this point but man I was hoping for an easy fix! I think tomorrow will be a tuning day for me. Will try to get the velocity down and adjust the trigger to get it close to where I would like.

Mike,

Ear plug isn't a bad solution but not having to wear them is one reason I like airguns over powderburners!

I got rid of my R5M for that same reason. Howevery got a leyla 2 and it doesnt bother me even though it's supposed to have the same internals. Go figure. It seemed too loud at first but after a few mags it seemed to go away. I did stick one of those foam rubber noise protectors in my ear closest to the hammer and that made it liveable until it disappeared. Mine is tuned way down so I don't punch holes in the barn roofs. Still, at 25 I can hit a dime sized target 8 out of 10 times. Took a bit to get used to operating the slide cocking lever but that too is loosening up. I did get a silver felt tip pen and made a small mark on the outside edge of the magazines. After loading the mag I spin it to the same place every time and when the mark appears I know no more shots and don't shoot on an empty magazine.

Jim,

I plan to bring it down a bit so hopefully it'll at least lessen the severity of the ping. I've probably put 5 mags through it so far and already the slide is smoothing out (or I'm just getting used to it) but at first it felt pretty agricultural. I've been spoiled by guns that don't let you cycle the action on empty so I think I'll definitely have to mark these Edgun mags.

Hi,

I purchase the Lelya 2 and R5M, both in 22 at the same time. The R5M pretty much left my right ear ringing. The Lelya 2 wasn't that noticeable. The only difference outwardly was the plastic cheek rest over the rear of the Lelya. The R5M did not come with one. I've yet to swap it over from the Lelya to see if the noise reduction follows the cheek rest.

Ok. Then I cheated a bit. I took about all the hammer spring tension out of both guns. They are shooting s l o w but I can put pellets through the same holes at 25 yards. Certainly good enough for backyard play time. Maybe drop the stock off and dial the HST all the way down if you are shooting in your back yard.

Enjoy!,

Nugria

I have 7 depingers for the R5M Lelya, these are experimental , I am willing to give them away for the cost of shipping (5 dollars). I would like some independent reviews of them. If want them email me

Brian

1586481618_5342619875e8fc9d2591cb5.66907478.jpg

There is a common solution, it's just that most don't want to do any work (mods) on their top tier guns and jeopodize their re-sale value. Usually by the time people buy the good stuff they are done playing, and into paying, for what they want upfront, - totally understandable. If they don't like some feature or aspect of their new gun, they sell, move on. Some like the gun enough to send it out to a professional tuner. Some will give it a go. Ping is not uncommon and there are many threads on people dealing with it. You could put a derlin or brass insert into the face of your hammer. It works, but is a pain to do if you don't have the tools. Again, you can always send it out too. JMO, but I wouldn't settle for grabbing an earplug every time I went shooting my personal dream gun, or turning down the performance to quiet it.

There is a common solution, it's just that most don't want to do any work (mods) on their top tier guns and jeopodize their re-sale value. Usually by the time people buy the good stuff they are done playing, and into paying, for what they want upfront, - totally understandable. If they don't like some feature or aspect of their new gun, they sell, move on. Some like the gun enough to send it out to a professional tuner. Some will give it a go. Ping is not uncommon and there are many threads on people dealing with it. You could put a derlin or brass insert into the face of your hammer. It works, but is a pain to do if you don't have the tools. Again, you can always send it out too. JMO, but I wouldn't settle for grabbing an earplug every time I went shooting my personal dream gun, or turning down the performance to quiet it.

If I had access to a machine shop, I'd machine a composite face onto the hammer or put machine my own depinger. The purpose of this thread was to see if it was still a common occurrence with these guns and to see if someone had a drop-in solution. I'm definitely not afraid to pull these guns apart but I will admit I'm not really looking to design parts for it yet (I get enough of designing at work).

Also my plan was to always turn the power down on the gun to use as a short-medium range pester.

PumaCarl
Probably you never saw the hammer of Edguns

Its not the typical round - cylindrical but looks like the hammer of a revolver
Its light and moves in angle not parallel
Thats why the hammer its too strong and hammer hits the valve with high speed

Solutions, cheek pad, foam in the hall of the stock, deacrese the reg pressure so you can deacrese the HST
Something else i saw is two different types of valves, cylindrical and conical
We changed the (old type) cylindrical to a new one and we deacrese 19 clicks of HST to get the same power

I have a Huma regulator in the rm5 and also turned down HST but still lot of ping.

What i am asking myself is where Is the ping coming from? the tube or from the frame, with regulator one should think it should be less that is why i think it comes mainly from the frame in the back.

I did eliminate a ping in a Hatsan at44 with a tube brush once so that could be worth a try too.

WOW I read everyones post here , I own pretty much all edguns models

Edgun R5 .30 CAL , R-5 25 CAL , R5M.22 LONG , A Lelya 2.0 .25 cal , and finally a Leshiy in 22 and 25 cal .

I have no weird noises or pings or any loud noises ,Some I use Eds regulators and ,and some I Huma regulators .

I can say if an Edgun is tuned improper it can become violent , like too much hammer spring or too high a reg pressure or both

LOU

Two clicks down on the hammer spring adjustment and I at 864fps with 16gr JSBs. Still shooting tiny groups just larger than the pellet at 25 yards. Unfortunately this didn't do anything to help the ping (honestly didn't expect it to).

Besides the ping, this gun is pretty awesome and seems to be well built. Trigger was easy to get to where I liked it, I really appreciated the detents on the hammer spring adjustment and the cocking is already starting to smooth out it seems.

Two clicks down on the hammer spring adjustment and I at 864fps with 16gr JSBs. Still shooting tiny groups just larger than the pellet at 25 yards. Unfortunately this didn't do anything to help the ping (honestly didn't expect it to).

Besides the ping, this gun is pretty awesome and seems to be well built. Trigger was easy to get to where I liked it, I really appreciated the detents on the hammer spring adjustment and the cocking is already starting to smooth out it seems.

Make sure your moderator is screwed down tight. Sometimes adding a thicker o-ring to the threaded shroud cap helps as well.